You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spearing/Poulsen

Bert

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose

Spearing had a reasonable game. Hamsik was really shit which made his job easier, and playing alongside Poulsen made him look good as well.

Some well timed tackles and didn't give the ball away that often.

Happy enough for him to be a squad player. He certainly makes the signing of Poulsen look even more pointless.

Poulsen may be shite now but if we face facts Spearing will be doing well to have half the career that Poulsens had.

We can be blinded by our opinions of some players sometimes. Poulsen has had a great career prior to coming to Liverpool and Jay Spearing would be happy to have a career resembling his.

Spearing has impressed me this year - I think his positional play is much better and he's being a bit cleverer in his running.

Poulsen is a Bolton player. He should be nowhere near the team, let alone be ahead of Spearing in the pecking order.

I completely agree he clearly is showing development. If he can continue to grow and pass more forward then I think he can perform more of a role for us.

I can't see any reason for him not to.

Jay seems to lose his head when playing at home at the moment. His distribution away to Napoli was genuinely top draw, his passing yesterday during the first half was patchy at best, whenever he reached the final third he seemed to lose his head. Needs to calm down and keep perspective because if he can play like he did in Naples and during the second half yesterday his moments in front of the Kop will come.

That said, his positioning and work rate during the second half was one of the highlights yesterday (along with Stevie's goals and Nathan's exploits). One or two of the tackles he threw in would have been creamed over by all if Mascha was the DM in question. One in particular after Glen was done in a quick break was world class.

I hate seeing players written off at the best of times but when it's a young, passionate lad who is visibly improving with every season it just beggars belief. "He just won't make it here" is becoming an increasingly redundant phrase when he's getting good start after good start under his belt. It's not up to you whether he'll make it, it's up to him.

What amazes me is the common view that everyone has to be top drawer - nailed on first 11 class. IMO this is where we have gone wrong as a club regarding our youngsters.

Kelly, Spearing, Pachecho may or may not turn out to be Carraghers of the future but if they are our equivilent of Wes Brown or O'Shea I'd be over the moon. Local lads (or here from a young enough age) who understand the club, english quota, playing 20-30 games a season. Saves us buying £5m squad players and allows us to buy those first 11 players that typically cost £10m+.

Warnock is a classic example - maybe not first choice quality but better than most of the 2nd choices we've recruited at great expense over the years. Maybe Hammil and maybe Guthrie would fall into that camp as well.

It's fine having average squad players who can come in and do a job. But not all of them will want to stick around knowing they could make a career for themselves elsewhere. John O'Shea has done alright out of being a squad player but he's been involved in a team winning stuff which probably helps. It's alright being a squad player if you pick up the odd medal.

Warnock for example probably feels his career has progressed for playing regularly whereas he might not have had the same chances had he stayed here as a squad player.

You'd think a lot of home grown players would want to stay as long as possible, especially if they supported the club, but there'll come a time for a lot them when they want to be playing every week.

It's fine having average squad players who can come in and do a job. But not all of them will want to stick around knowing they could make a career for themselves elsewhere. John O'Shea has done alright out of being a squad player but he's been involved in a team winning stuff which probably helps. It's alright being a squad player if you pick up the odd medal.

Warnock for example probably feels his career has progressed for playing regularly whereas he might not have had the same chances had he stayed here as a squad player.

You'd think a lot of home grown players would want to stay as long as possible, especially if they supported the club, but there'll come a time for a lot them when they want to be playing every week.

I can understand that, but surely we shouldn't be pushing them out the door, we should be waiting for them to ask to leave.

Although i care about players and player development, it should always be about whats best for LFC.

Amazing Spurs paid 8m for R. VDV, on that basis Poulsen is half the player Rafa is, he'd be lucky to even be quarter the player Van der Vaart is. Shocking business.

Fucking Roy.

How in a thread about Spearing/Poulsen does Van der Vaart's name get a mention?

Back to the topic.

Poulsen was terrible last night. Napoli simply marched through our midfield at will. He lacks aggression, vision, pace and skill. The only thing he might ever go close to winning is an Ellen DeGeneres look-a-like competition.

Poulsen may be shite now but if we face facts Spearing will be doing well to have half the career that Poulsens had.

We can be blinded by our opinions of some players sometimes. Poulsen has had a great career prior to coming to Liverpool and Jay Spearing would be happy to have a career resembling his.

While that may be true, we don't have the luxury of the Poulsen of yesteryear... we have the Poulsen of today. and therein lies the problem...

It's fine having average squad players who can come in and do a job. But not all of them will want to stick around knowing they could make a career for themselves elsewhere. John O'Shea has done alright out of being a squad player but he's been involved in a team winning stuff which probably helps. It's alright being a squad player if you pick up the odd medal.Warnock for example probably feels his career has progressed for playing regularly whereas he might not have had the same chances had he stayed here as a squad player.

Winning always helps but the other issue we have is that we have younger players - who may be nothing more than squad players, or who may develop into regulars - that are sitting and watching expensive, overpaid, passionless players take minutes from them and delay their development. Shelvey and Spearing were better than Poulsen last night... not perfect, but better.

utterly shite pairing. You can only bring youth players through with the help of experience around you. Poulson maybe the worst Liverpool player in the last decade. He is truly shit and it's only going to be to the detriment to Spearing that he has to play alongside him.

Poulson has to be play as does Konchesky otherwise what does that say about Roy's buys, other than absolute shite

Imagine playing alongside Gerrard, Alonso, etc you'd look and feel twice the player. Spearing might be a decent player but he isn't a Liverpool Centre Midfielder.

While that may be true, we don't have the luxury of the Poulsen of yesteryear... we have the Poulsen of today. and therein lies the problem...

My post above was more aimed at the comments about Spearing being a better player than Poulsen mate, which was why I said if Jay can earn half what Poulsen has in his career then he'll be doing well and he would be a massive asset to our club.

Poulsen may be shite now but I'd wager he was a lot better than Jay is now when he was Jays age.

No chance.

You've come out with some real stinkers regarding Poulsen lately. You related?

Everywhere I go Poulsen is getting slagged constantly, its just makes me wonder what's going on it's so disproportionate. Are people seeing Poulsen as the poster boy for Hodgson's Liverpool and making him the scapegoat on that basis? He was jeered off the pitch last night FFS - that's low IMO.

He's an experienced international who has come from Italy and only been here 2 months. He's made a few high-profile mistakes, yes, and I'm not saying he's looking a great player, but he's been OK IMO, was probably our best player in the second half at OT, etc.

It's ridiculous. Everybody's lining up to have a dig and I don't get it.