You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Having read some of the less than flattering posts about him over the past few months or so for whatever reason (I personally don't have a problem with him) but the Leprechaun, O'Goblin etc posters on here many who were Rafa's biggest defenders on here how are you going to feel should he become our new manager? Genuine question?

Will you get behind him from the start like you backed the previous manager to the hilt considering you prided yourself on getting behind the manager no matter what and give the man a chance or will you have the knives out for him straight away waiting for the first few bad results to start rounding on him because you don't like him?

Would things turn full circle on here? Would the people who openly despise O'Neill but loved Rafa be the first to want O'Neill out therefore making a mockery of their beliefs that the manager should be backed no matter what and considering O'Neill would originally be working under the same constraints as Rafa was, and the people who wanted Rafa out and wanted a fresh approach will be more than likely the ones giving O'Neill time.

Would O'Neill being successful here be enough to change your opinion of him?

I am not criticising if it does but it does sum up the fickle nature of football fans in a nutshell. We are all guilty of it at times. We all want Liverpool to be successful, surely even disliking O'Neill would stop that wouldn't it?

1) Do I rate him?

No.

2) Would I wish him the best, and support him to the hilt if he was to be Liverpool manager?

Unreservedly.

3) Would I criticise him for mistakes he makes, and share my thoughts if I thought he wasn't the right man for the job.

Yes, as I would have for Rafa, if thats what I would have thought. And for Houillier. For Evans. For Souness. For Dalglish. For Fagan. For Paisley.

4) if yes to 3 above, would I then turn on the man, and hound him like a rabid dog.

No. Why? Because he's the manager of Liverpool FC. End of story.

5) if yes to 3 above. would I turn on him after he left Liverpool?

No. Why? Because I would assume he would have done his best, and I would wish him well. YNWA!

6) "Would things turn full circle on here?"

"but it does sum up the fickle nature of football fans in a nutshell. We are all guilty of it at times."

Excusing yourself, with your projections of YOUR DEFICIENCIES AND CHARACTER FLAWS onto others?

There is no "full circle". The only ones around here who will be fickle in the future, are the "supporters" who were fickle in the past.

The vast majority (maybe not on this forum) were Liverpool supporters in the best and proud traditions of that word. And will continue to be. What you and your lot do, doesn't have much to do with that.

You know whats coming that why your acting the twat

Forgive me for being slow on the uptake John but I don't mate honestly.

Okay just for you.

Liverpool

Real Madrid

Barcelona or Manchester United.

That is just down to opinion though surely. AC Milan have won more European Cups than us so they could say they are bigger than us and Man United.

Okay just for you.

Liverpool

Real Madrid

That is just down to opinion though surely. AC Milan have won more European Cups than us so they could say they are bigger than us and Man United.

Id go

Real Madrid

United

Liverpool/AC Milan

Would I criticise him for mistakes he makes, and share my thoughts if I thought he wasn't the right man for the job.

Yes, as I would have for Rafa, if thats what I would have thought. And for Houillier. For Evans. For Souness. For Dalglish. For Fagan. For Paisley.

I get the feeling though that you don't think others have a right to their own opinion on Rafa's suitability for the job? Or am I reading you wrong?

All the indications are that yes, this is what we should expect.

And if George's sneaky feeling comes to pass, we'd be guilty of expecting much more than we should have.

Mcleish! My God. I'm off to stick pins in my eyes.

Okay just for you.

Liverpool

Real Madrid

Now tell me this which is the greater/harder task for Rafa,winning the Prem with Liverpool or winning La Liga with Valencia?

Now tell me this which is the greater/harder task for Rafa,winning the Prem with Liverpool or winning La Liga with Valencia?

In this day and age the former. Look John is this leading somewhere mate, would rather you got to the point.

I reckon it's leading the two of you to a candlelit dinner, followed by passionate sex.

Guest TesticleOReilly

The problem with this is failing to acknowledge that both Madrid and Barca were in transitional eras. A great achievement with Valencia no doubt, but a point that is valid.

After the season we'd just experienced, in coming 2nd with a great points tally, we should have moved on. The league this year was wide open, with the top 3 all losing stupid points. The door was wide open, and we were nowhere near.

In this day and age the former. Look John is this leading somewhere mate, would rather you got to the point.

The point I'm making is this,Benitez won 2 Championships, going up against 2 of the biggest clubs on the planet,Madrid and Barca and there's a good chance he'll end up at the current European Champions,something O'Neill won't achieve whilst he's got a hole in his arse,yet you seem to think he's a improvement on Benitez.

Why don't Inter go after O'Neill,just a thought?

I get the feeling though that you don't think others have a right to their own opinion on Rafa's suitability for the job? Or am I reading you wrong?

I get the feeling that you are like a few others on this forum who love to pretend that they can't read or comprehend simple English. Just so they can put their own words in other peoples mouths, and then criticise them.

Which part of this is so difficult to understand?

3) Would I criticise him for mistakes he makes, and share my thoughts if I thought he wasn't the right man for the job.

I may think a manager is simply not good enough, end of story.

I may think he is (or may be), but is screwing a few things up

If I think any of the above, I'll express it.

But spreading outright lies about the man, because I hate him.

Or spreading vicious slander (on the verge of xenophobia).

Or ignoring all other (more pressing) problems, and try to turn as many other people against him as possible (cause if I hate him, then everyone must as well)

Or just hijacking everything to such an extent that some people are glad he's gone, just so that shit can be given a rest for a while.

Or wallowing in delight when a Liverpool manager is sacked.

None of those have got ANYTHING to do with expressing opinions of the manager, and nothing to do with a simple assessment of one man's ability to do his job.

The point I'm making is this,Benitez won 2 Championships, going up against 2 of the biggest clubs on the planet,Madrid and Barca and there's a good chance he'll end up at the current European Champions,something O'Neill won't achieve whilst he's got a hole in his arse,yet you seem to think he's a improvement on Benitez.

Why don't Inter go after O'Neill,just a thought?

Where have I once said he is an improvement on Benitez????? If Purslow and Kenny think he can do a job if indeed he was the appointment then we have to trust them don't we John? Even if it Hodgson, McLeish etc.

Rafa will do well if he goes to Inter and he will be expected to especially after Jose's achievements there. Will he outshine Mourinho? He won't have the excuse of lack of funds at Inter compared to the rest of the league either should he go there so even 2nd place will be frowned upon there.

I get the feeling that you are like a few others on this forum who love to pretend that they can't read or comprehend simple English. Just so they can put their own words in other peoples mouths, and then criticise them.

No, you've got me all wrong.

But spreading outright lies about the man, because I hate him.

Or spreading vicious slander (on the verge of xenophobia).

Or ignoring all other (more pressing) problems, and try to turn as many other people against him as possible (cause if I hate him, then everyone must as well)

Or just hijacking everything to such an extent that some people are glad he's gone, just so that shit can be given a rest for a while.

Or wallowing in delight when a Liverpool manager is sacked.

None of those have got ANYTHING to do with expressing opinions of the manager, and nothing to do with a simple assessment of one man's ability to do his job.

Thanks for the clarification though.

Edited by zigackly
typo

The problem with this is failing to acknowledge that both Madrid and Barca were in transitional eras. A great achievement with Valencia no doubt, but a point that is valid.

After the season we'd just experienced, in coming 2nd with a great points tally, we should have moved on. The league this year was wide open, with the top 3 all losing stupid points. The door was wide open, and we were nowhere near.

Really,is that so,well please explain to me why Madrid won La Liga before and after Valencia's first title and Barca won it after Valencia's 2nd title after Rafa left to join us

Where have I once said he is an improvement on Benitez????? If Purslow and Kenny think he can do a job if indeed he was the appointment then we have to trust them don't we John? Even if it Hodgson, McLeish etc.

Rafa will do well if he goes to Inter and he will be expected to especially after Jose's achievements there. Will he outshine Mourinho? He won't have the excuse of lack of funds at Inter compared to the rest of the league either should he go there so even 2nd place will be frowned upon there.

No,your problem John was like the rest of Benitez critics,you just wanted rid of him and gave no thought to a realistic improvement on Benitez.

You wanted to create a problem but didn't want to solve the problem you where creating.