You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Maxi yesterday

Randy Marsh

Thought he was absolutely outstanding.

Just watched it again on Football First and he was involved in everything we did attacking wise. He seems to have developed a cracking understanding with Stevie already and the work he did with Dirk, Stevie and Babel absolutely cut Sunderland to pieces. He seemed to have a bit of a free role from what I could make out, and his movement was superb. He also created a lot for Fernando, and I think the fact Nando said he's the one player he'd love us to take from Atletico says alot about how much the lads rate him. Obviously, his friendship with Masch to may have played apart in his new contract agreement.

The lad has had some stick on here after a few games, but I think yesterday and also Portsmouth showed that when we play with a more direct attacking style it brings out the best in him. He has great touch and technique, and you can see why he's been around the Argentina squad for years. I think (hopefully) when we recover our form and confidence on a more regular basis next season this lad will be a really important player for us. At a million quid I think we will get fantastic value for money.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has obvious pace limitations but very rarely loses the ball and more often than not picks out a quality attacking pass.

When he's alongside Torres and Gerrard, I don't even think his lack of pace matters that much.

Like you say, he may also serve an even more vital purpose in making Mascherano and Torres feel even more at home here.

He's been very erratic so far, but yesterday was a very good display indeed.

Yes his almost complete absence of pace is a drawback, but when he has the runs of Gerrard from deep, and Torres, then his vision is a real bonus.

So. Jury still out, but I am slightly more positive about him than I was.

Mind you, I think everyone played pretty well yesterday. Even Insua.

Thought he was absolutely outstanding.

Just watched it again on Football First and he was involved in everything we did attacking wise. He seems to have developed a cracking understanding with Stevie already and the work he did with Dirk, Stevie and Babel absolutely cut Sunderland to pieces. He seemed to have a bit of a free role from what I could make out, and his movement was superb. He also created a lot for Fernando, and I think the fact Nando said he's the one player he'd love us to take from Atletico says alot about how much the lads rate him. Obviously, his friendship with Masch to may have played apart in his new contract agreement.

The lad has had some stick on here after a few games, but I think yesterday and also Portsmouth showed that when we play with a more direct attacking style it brings out the best in him. He has great touch and technique, and you can see why he's been around the Argentina squad for years. I think (hopefully) when we recover our form and confidence on a more regular basis next season this lad will be a really important player for us. At a million quid I think we will get fantastic value for money.

I agree with you mate many supporters will say he's average because he doesn't have pace and the ability to beats 5 players before sticking it in the top corner. But to use a tired cliche he's a proper footballer. He's got an excellent first touch, technique and vision. With pace he'd be be world class but even without it he's an excellent player.

As I said in the match thread, when the team is playing well with a high tempo, he looks really good because he's intelligent, has a good touch and he likes to play quick, fluid football. I get the impression he'd be a really good player in the Arsenal side.

Unfortunately for us, we have a tendency to approach games in a cautious manner and that just won't suit him, so hopefully we'll continue to see the attacking approach that we've seen recently.

As I said in the match thread, when the team is playing well with a high tempo, he looks really good because he's intelligent, has a good touch and he likes to play quick, fluid football. I get the impression he'd be a really good player in the Arsenal side.

Unfortunately for us, we have a tendency to approach games in a cautious manner and that just won't suit him, so hopefully we'll continue to see the attacking approach that we've seen recently.

We will play that way for the remaining 6 games and then turn back to being negative and cautious for the new season.

I think it might be a lot simpler than that. I think a bit more pace and more technically gifted players i.e. not N'Gog and Kuyt would help.

As I said to my mate, this time next year we could be brining on Kuyt or Jovonvic instead of N'Gog which will make a big difference to the team

The first time passing of Maxi/Nando/Stevie yesterday, topped off with their movement, was a joy to watch, especially in the first half.

Although not blessed with pace, he has a top notch footballing brain, and I think he'll grow into a favourite.

First half yesterday was as good as I've seen at Annie, for a long long time.

Pass and move, simples.

I'd say that's more true of away games than home ones. Unless we alter our approach to away games, he'll be a passenger more often than not.

At home, generally we at least try to play football and he's ideal for the sort of game we played yesterday.

I think it might be a lot simpler than that. I think a bit more pace and more technically gifted players i.e. not N'Gog and Kuyt would help.

As I said to my mate, this time next year we could be brining on Kuyt or Jovonvic instead of N'Gog which will make a big difference to the team

Assuming Jovanovic isn't crap, which he could be.

I think we need to buy a top class striker this summer because you can't trust Torres' fitness.

There was one pass he played against Portsmouth, it was just a fucking an outstanding pass that i don't think anyone else in our squad could have played. He hits it first time, when the likes of Kuyt would be struggling to control let alone hit, and just drops it, inch perfect, over a few players, and into the path of Aquilani, who volleyed just wide.

He's like Aquilani for me in terms of how effective they can be though. they both need movement around them, and players looking to play quick passing football. If we revert back to type, and opt for the laboured static shite that's the norm from us then their effectiveness is going to be minimized, as neither of them are going to pick up the ball and run past two or three players on their own. But they'll have no problem passing it around them.

I agree with you mate many supporters will say he's average because he doesn't have pace and the ability to beats 5 players before sticking it in the top corner. But to use a tired cliche he's a proper footballer. He's got an excellent first touch, technique and vision. With pace he'd be be world class but even without it he's an excellent player.

I've been having the same argument with a mate of mine since we signed him. My mate keeps saying, he hasn't scored, doesn't bring anything to the team, blah blah blah. But he is a proper footballer, whose first touch is superb and he can play the nice one touch quick tempo football that we all want to see. Add Aquilani into the team to replace Kuyt and we have an excellent attatcking team.

Guest TK-421
Nah, he's shit mate. All of the objective, wouldn't whinge about anything, even the kit being the wrong shade of red posters on here decided so after 2 appearances. The manager was also a cunt for signing him.

Pah, I could tell that after his first 15 minutes. So he scored a good goal in the World Cup once. Whoopee.

There was one pass he played against Portsmouth, it was just a fucking an outstanding pass that i don't think anyone else in our squad could have played. He hits it first time, when the likes of Kuyt would be struggling to control let alone hit, and just drops it, inch perfect, over a few players, and into the path of Aquilani, who volleyed just wide.

He's like Aquilani for me in terms of how effective they can be though. they both need movement around them, and players looking to play quick passing football. If we revert back to type, and opt for the laboured static shite that's the norm from us then their effectiveness is going to be minimized, as neither of them are going to pick up the ball and run past two or three players on their own. But they'll have no problem passing it around them.

Agree with all of this.

Some players look lightyears better when they have certain others around or infront of them. For example, no matter how good Kenny Dalglish was, if he had Andriy Voronin playing infront of him instead of Ian Rush he wouldn't look half the player. Some players need others around them which suit their style and allow them to maximise their talents.

Quality squad addition no doubt. Of course, it easy to look good when the team is playing well, even Babel looked good yesterday.

When you see performances like that one from yesterday do people really believe that we are that far off a title winning side? I realise we have squad limitations, but some clever acquisitions during the summer with our limited budgeted, I believe we will be up there, but only IF our manager allows us to play the football we seen yesterday. We dont need to stiffle the opposition when we have quality attacking players.

Quality squad addition no doubt. Of course, it easy to look good when the team is playing well, even Babel looked good yesterday.

When you see performances like that one from yesterday do people really believe that we are that far off a title winning side? I realise we have squad limitations, but some clever acquisitions during the summer with our limited budgeted, I believe we will be up there, but only IF our manager allows us to play the football we seen yesterday. We dont need to stiffle the opposition when we have quality attacking players.

I agree mate. That's why I am still backing the Benitez regime. As dire as we have been at times this season, I still believe that with a "let them worry about us" attitude against the smaller teams instead of the seemingly "overthought" approach, and a change of ownership to allow us to purchase 3 or 4 more players, we are really not that far. When we click as we did yesterday and at the end of last season, we can literally be unplayable.

This is going to seem extremely harsh and it's a bit mean posting it because it isn't really his fault but I think a huge part of why Maxi's best two games were against Sunderland and Pompey. Both games in which Lucas was not involved.

I just think it is essential for him to be playing with other footballers who are capable of playing pass and move football and capable of playing one touch passes and capable of playing at a high tempo. I just don't think Lucas is really capable of this and it has an adverse effect on the rest of the team.