You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Deportiva La Coruna and the Champions League

Rashid

Guest Dancing Dave
1. We sell out because we have millions of fans worldwide. We sold out when we had Evans and Souness too. It has nothing to do with GH "Pulling them in through the turnstiles".>>

lol!! And let me guess......you're one of them?? Don't make me laugh, yet again you show how little you know about the club you pretend to support, check again....and again....and again.

2. I haul my sorry arse up to Anfield as much as I can cos I support the team irrespective of what I think of GH.>>

No you don't, you're a moaning c*nt who should stay down South and support Arsenal. Sooner the better mate. Koptalk....lol!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right Scouse Missionary, say you want a new car and it costs £10k. Selling your current car would give you £3k and you have £7k saved.

Therefore you have only paid £7k net for the car.

Had you not sold your current car you wouldn't have been able to afford the £10k car as you only had £7k saved.

Yes but If the car broke down on his way home from the garage, SM wouldnt say "oh well it only cost £7k what do you expect", he'd flip his lid as it cost £10k.

Just the same as Houllier's assembled squad of players cost their total gross purchase price, not the net cost.

We sold Fowler for £13 million, decided not to take on Anelka so bought Diouf for £9 million. Does that mean he's not a flop as we still made a £4 million gain when the cost of strikers is totted up?

Some (not me) would argue that wouldnt have been a bad thing. Ultimately speaking I think you have to ask has the £117 million he's spent been well invested. It doesnt matter how much he has brought in, another manager may have recouped the same amount, but spent his money much more wisely

Some (not me) would argue that wouldnt have been a bad thing. Ultimately speaking I think you have to ask has the £117 million he's spent been well invested. It doesnt matter how much he has brought in, another manager may have recouped the same amount, but spent his money much more wisely

Geds current first choice team cost how much?

Kirkland 6

Finnan 3.5

Henchoz 3.5

Hyypia 2.6

Carrgher FREE

Murphy 1.5

Hamann 8

Gerrard FREE

Kewell 5

Owen FREE

Baros 3.5

Thats a total of around 35M - Where is the rest of the 80Million? I will tell you where - 20 million is invested in Diouf and Heskey where you will be lucky to get 8 million combined for them now. So money he has invested in the team at the moment is probably worth less than what he paid out so yes a lot of the 120M is wasted. We all know from recent results that the back up players are simply not good enough. 25 Million of the 50 odd Million he recouped from Fowler, Thompson, Wright and Matteo was already at the club before he arrived should they be included in his balance sheet?

We are going round and round in circles and I respect many the posters here including Dancing Dave and Kopite who can think of nothing less than personal insults but we HAVE spent nearly 120M Roy Evans team and we are no closer to the league.

using the "£150 spent on beer" analogy, maybe it's more accurate to use this in reference to how much beer was actually consumed by the person who spent this cash...

i, moo, went out last night with two friends to celebrate new years eve...i took with me £150 to purchase alcohol...i spent all my money, down to the last penny...however, as it was me who went to the bar every time, and paid from my own pocket, i was in turn able to recoup £100 of my outlay from my two friends (let's call them Lee DS and Verity Nosebagofothers)...

therefore, i only personally consumed and benefited from £50 worth of beer...

Guest 18 & 4

Going a little bit off topic here, but I think this makes interesting reading even if the source is not exactly the bible of accuracy (ie. The Mirror);

Spending since the Premier League began:

1 CHELSEA spent: £252.165m recouped: £46.825m net: £205.34m

2 NEWCASTLE spent: £192.63m recouped: £95.93m net: £96.7m

3 MANCHESTER UNITED spent: £165.975m recouped: £72.475m net: £93.5m

4 LIVERPOOL spent: £162.115m recouped: £69.515m net: £92.6m

5 TOTTENHAM spent: £118.825m recouped: £39.797m net: £79.028m

6 ARSENAL spent: £148.89m recouped: £96.519m net: £52.371m

7 LEEDS spent: £139.605m recouped: £112.945m net: £26.66m

8 BLACKBURN spent: £135.678m recouped: £114.26m net: £21.418m

What pissed me off reading this, is the fact that the Glams have spent just under £4m more than us since Sky began rewriting history and the difference in return should be embarrasing to the powers that be at our club. I know United were lucky a quality crop of young players emerged all at the same time, but when you think of some of the recently signed shite costing a fortune are included in their total spend figure, it makes the fortune that we've thrown at players over the last 10 years even more depressing.

You know, football used to be a simple game, played between lines. It used to involve pride in wearing the red sweater and the great managers always found gems in the lower leagues, players they looked to in the shadow of the future and saw potential. Alas, it has become a game where you have to have a economics degree and at least done well in mathematics.

Just a minor point of order here. A few people have made the same inaccurate statement in this thread and I think it needs correcting. Houllier was not sacked from the French job, he resigned. But don't let facts get in the way of yet another weapon to hit GH over the head with eh?

We are going round and round in circles and I respect many the posters here including Dancing Dave and Kopite who can think of nothing less than personal insults but we HAVE spent nearly 120M Roy Evans team and we are no closer to the league.

LOL the irony of that coming from you, after all you never insult people do you Radish and I don't mean their intelligences either.

I know your twisted logic can't handle this, but had GH not raised £60m from sales then I seriously doubt he would have spent this £120m that you keep banging on about.

Just a minor point of order here. A few people have made the same inaccurate statement in this thread and I think it needs correcting. Houllier was not sacked from the French job, he resigned. But don't let facts get in the way of yet another weapon to hit GH over the head with eh?

Well said Hermes. I am now expecting a post detailing how GH treated that egotistical ponce Ginola like a dog too.

Are you honestly suggesting that calling Ginola a "War Criminal" after the game is nice?

Surprise surprise.

I am suggesting that had Ginola did his job then France would have gone to the USA and you wouldn't be using this as a stick to beat Gerard Houllier with.

Surprise surprise.

I am suggesting that had Ginola did his job then France would have gone to the USA and you wouldn't be using this as a stick to beat Gerard Houllier with.

It was all down to Ginola and the final kick of the game. Nothing to do with the other 89 minutes or the other 9 games.

Oh and I forgot, GH wasn't to blame either - but then he never is. There is always someone else.

It was all down to Ginola and the final kick of the game. Nothing to do with the other 89 minutes or the other 9 games.

Oh and I forgot, GH wasn't to blame either - but then he never is. There is always someone else.

They were winning 2-1 with a few seconds left, I'd argue that the team had done their job. Even Cantona was upset at what Ginola did, but you ignore that Rashid as GH must have been operating him like Keith Harris does with Orville the Duck.

It is rather pathetic you have this downer on GH. I imagine you were seething at what Heskey did on Sunday that cost us two points at the City of Manchester stadium. Two-faced you?

Did Napoleon or De Gaul steal your grannies false teeth or something?

It came down to France needing a point from 2 home games, agaisnt Israel and Bulgaria to qualify. They lost both, which is a major fuck up of Devon Loch proportions. It should be irrelevant to Houllier's current situation but there are major parralels with our faliure to secure Champions League qualification in 2000. The final hurdle seems to be a major problem for Houllier, which is why I think he has taken us as far as he can.

It came down to France needing a point from 2 home games, agaisnt Israel and Bulgaria to qualify. They lost both, which is a major fuck up of Devon Loch proportions. It should be irrelevant to Houllier's current situation but there are major parralels with our faliure to secure Champions League qualification in 2000. The final hurdle seems to be a major problem for Houllier, which is why I think he has taken us as far as he can.

Come on Steve.

It was all down to GH along with Joan of Arc being burned at the stake in Rouen,the defeat at Waterloo and the invasion of France by the Nazi's.

Guest Dancing Dave

Yeh, beauts like you. You have the football knowledge of the average cactus. Arsenal need you....stay there.

Houllier wasn't sacked by France - he resigned.

Souness wasn't sacked by Liverpool - he resigned.

Evans wasn't sacked by Liverpool - he resigned.

It's called "jumping before you're pushed". Sacked in all but name.

And if United were "lucky" that a crop of young talent came through at the same time, then what do you make of McManaman Fowler Owen Carragher Gerrard Matteo Thompson all within the space of about 7 years?

It's also about decision making in the transfer market, and this can be traced right back to Souness. Schmeichel or James? Pallister or Ruddock? Keane or Stewart? Irwin or Dicks? Cantona or Saunders? There are loads more.

And despite initial successes, Gerard hasn't pushed on when it mattered most: this is why people will keep harping on about Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou, Heskey, Biscan, Ziege and others. The successes have not overshadowed the failures, and we need at least a 75/25 split in the current climate. Either that, or (as with Wenger) our successes must be spectacular ones (Henry Vieira, Pires). You can piss away cash on Jeffers and the like then.

Guest Dancing Dave

And if United were "lucky" that a crop of young talent came through at the same time, then what do you make of McManaman Fowler Owen Carragher Gerrard Matteo Thompson all within the space of about 7 years?>>

Who did United bring through after beckham & co?? Nobody, until very recently.

It's also about decision making in the transfer market, and this can be traced right back to Souness. Schmeichel or James? Pallister or Ruddock? Keane or Stewart? Irwin or Dicks? Cantona or Saunders? There are loads more.>>

Schmeichel or James?......or Taibi perhaps? Or Bosnich?? Andy Goram maybe??

Ruddock I'll give you, fat useless tw*t, but Demento also bought that Italian bloke, who he dumped a few weeks later. Liverpool tried to buy Keane before United, this is well documented. As for Cantona, Wilkinson phoned Demento and asked if he'd sell Irwin. Busby took the call, and jokingly Demento asked him to ask Wilko if HE'D sell Cantona. He couldn't know that Cantona was shagging Lee Chapman's missus and that his manager wanted shut. It was a freak that he bought him. Bring on the loads more........:whistle:

Sammya - I do criticise Houllier a lot, but the French issue is one that I think is irrelevant to the current LFC situation hence my part defence of him. Rashid will be slagging him off for only getting Nioux Le Mines from the 5th to 2nd dvision instead of all the way to the top flight next!