You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez, what makes him irreplaceable?

Code

Code's now turned to drink in his post-Alonso stuper. I'm beginning to worry for him. It'll be drugs next. He'll get deeper and deeper in his Alonso hole of despair. Then he'll get help and turn to a replacement drug, a drug that helps him out of his hole. And that drug will be called Aquilani.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Rafa hasn't worked on a comparative shoe string now has he?

He inherited the top goal scorer at Euro 2004 in Baros, he inherited Gerrard and Carra along with other quality players such as Hamman, Hyypia etc.

He has also got the likes of Torres, Gerrard, Macherano, Reina, Kuyt and Johnson playing for him. I absolutely detest the mindset that money must be the overriding factor when it comes to achieving, and until he spends more he can't be expected to do so. Where was the 'net spend' argument when Houllier took over, after-all he was competing with Abramovich ffs.

We've been over this ground so much it makes my elbows bleed.

I have ironing to do so i will be quick, COMPARATIVE SHOE STRING , YES HE HAS .

Houllier was not in the same league as rafa wether you like it or not.

Rafa transformed us from a club that was becoming a joke to one of the elite European clubs within a season. No other manager could have done that. I still don't believe any manager could do much better given the strength of competition there is in the Premiership. And when it comes to European competition, there is nobody better.

Whether that makes him irreplaceable I don't know, but I'd rather not find out by having him leave. Not yet, anyway...

Rafa transformed us from a club that was becoming a joke to one of the elite European clubs within a season. No other manager could have done that. I still don't believe any manager could do much better given the strength of competition there is in the Premiership. And when it comes to European competition, there is nobody better.

Whether that makes him irreplaceable I don't know, but I'd rather not find out by having him leave. Not yet, anyway...

Yes but what has he ever done for us?

Well personally I think Sktrel is piss poor, what is he actually good at, I struggle to think of anything.

The reality is that since Rafa has got rid of the players he inherited we have gone backwards at the back.

So what we see infront of us now is the leagacy of Rafa`s defensive set up, not when he inheited one of the best defenders Europe have ever seen in Samy Hyypia.

Rafa is a good coach and he should c0oncentrate on that, buying and replacing players is an area where he should keep a long distance from as he usually is clueless.

Edit - I`m drunk and pissed off with ou clueless defending once again, Venngor of hesselink won everything in the air as our defense is filled with midgets.

One hour after winning 6-1.

I shouldn't but I find that quite admirable!

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Did you watch the game, mountain goat?

We looked very shakey at the back and were lucky not to concede more than one.

I must have been watching a different game, because I don't actually remember Reina having to make a save, other than the goal.

Well personally I think Sktrel is piss poor, what is he actually good at, I struggle to think of anything.

The reality is that since Rafa has got rid of the players he inherited we have gone backwards at the back.

So what we see infront of us now is the leagacy of Rafa`s defensive set up, not when he inheited one of the best defenders Europe have ever seen in Samy Hyypia.

Rafa is a good coach and he should c0oncentrate on that, buying and replacing players is an area where he should keep a long distance from as he usually is clueless.

Edit - I`m drunk and pissed off with ou clueless defending once again, Venngor of hesselink won everything in the air as our defense is filled with midgets.

So your saying that

------------Dudek-----------

Finnan-Carragher-Hyypia-Riise

------------Hamman---------

with Zak Whitbread, Biscan and Djimi Traore as cover

is better than

--------------Reina-------------

Johnson-Carragher-Skrtel-Insua

------------Mascherano---------

with Daniel Agger, Lucas and Aurelio as cover

Even taking into account that Hyypia, Hamman and Finnan are now well past thier best and would have needed replacing anyway, how you can argue that we are weaker defensively is beyond me, even the stats back me up on it.

In 2003/04 we scored 55 and conceded 37 giving us a GD of +18

In 2008/09 we scored 77 and conceded 27 giving us a GD of +50

You complete fucking head the ball

So your saying that

------------Dudek-----------

Finnan-Carragher-Hyypia-Riise

------------Hamman---------

with Zak Whitbread, Biscan and Djimi Traore as cover

is better than

--------------Reina-------------

Johnson-Carragher-Skrtel-Insua

------------Mascherano---------

with Daniel Agger, Lucas and Aurelio as cover

Even taking into account that Hyypia, Hamman and Finnan are now well past thier best and would have needed replacing anyway, how you can argue that we are weaker defensively is beyond me, even the stats back me up on it.

In 2003/04 we scored 55 and conceded 37 giving us a GD of +18

In 2008/09 we scored 77 and conceded 27 giving us a GD of +50

You complete fucking head the ball

:D

How does pointing out areas for improvement equate to not enjoying the game?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You lot would fold under the glare of Rafa and crumple under the weight of his mantra, "improve".

Not sure who that is aimed at Speedy, but we arent players, or managers, were fans.

To survive as a fan you have to be able to take the rough with teh smooth else youd go mad.

But either way after a 6-1 win, as a fan, if ytou want to dwell on crticism, contstructive or not, then thats up to you. For me, no.

Not sure who that is aimed at Speedy, but we arent players, or managers, were fans.

To survive as a fan you have to be able to take the rough with teh smooth else youd go mad.

But either way after a 6-1 win, as a fan, if ytou want to dwell on crticism, contstructive or not, then thats up to you. For me, no.

I like flaws, they are interesting, they don't drive me insane and they don't take away from the enjoyment.

I enjoyed the game, the only bit that was a bit of a downer was the fact I had a bet on us winning 4-1, but I wont complain about that.

But the fact of the matte is that we lost everything in the air against Hesselink, and even if a 6-1 win is a fantastic result it wont cover the fact we really are struggling at the back against a better team than Hull we might have had to pay for it as well.

I have one question though, when is the appropriate time to point out things like this, if you do it after a loss you accused of kneejerking and if you do it after a win you are accused of not enjoying the game, just wondering?

I just cant wait to get Agger back in the team.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He is hardly going to be aerially dominant, though. He might not even be first choice.

I enjoyed the game, the only bit that was a bit of a downer was the fact I had a bet on us winning 4-1, but I wont complain about that.

But the fact of the matte is that we lost everything in the air against Hesselink, and even if a 6-1 win is a fantastic result it wont cover the fact we really are struggling at the back against a better team than Hull we might have had to pay for it as well.

I have one question though, when is the appropriate time to point out things like this, if you do it after a loss you accused of kneejerking and if you do it after a win you are accused of not enjoying the game, just wondering?

So, our defence, currently worse that the one he inherited, yes or no?

I like flaws, they are interesting, they don't drive me insane and they don't take away from the enjoyment.

It's not that we can't talk of flaws, or be constructive or critical, if you see things its fair play to say what you think. I just feel that sometimes we dwell on the negative too much.

maybe they did well in the air, but we've still only conceeded once from open play all season and if your getting forward more, as with Insua and Johnson we seem to be, then its inevitable we are going to be a little more exposed at teh back. Therefore, for me I dont see a need to articulate those worries as in another game against better opposition, I doubt we'd be having hte same trouble. lets face it, if your 4-1 up, players are bound to be pushing on more looking for another, which IIRC, is what we all wanted ?

WE won 6-1 lets enjoy that, the test, of course will be next week and Id wager we'll be tighter at the back then, if only as a result of us not being 3 or 4 goals up and looking to keep it tight.

Now, most times, in an exchange between Code & RRT, i would be nodding in quiet agreement with RRT and shaking my head vigorously whilst reading the thoughts of Chairman Code.

On this occasion, however, the world has been turned upside down and here I am, nodding and shaking in all the wrong places.

I was very happy that we beat Hull, I was even happier that we won by such a handsome margin. However, if ever the aside 'they were lucky to get nil' were made for a side, it's this current Hull team. And yet we gave them a goal which was a photocopy of almost every other goal we have conceded this season: ball goes in the box, red shirts do convincing impersonations of drunk sailors on deck in a storm, ball goes in net.

And that was against Van Jenegoor of Hertfordshire, or whatever his daft medieval name is. Drogba next week...