You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa Benitez, what makes him irreplaceable?

Code

Guest PurpleNose
Someone please neg him for that. The correct nomenclatures are Whiskey Nose, Ginsoak, Baconface, Slur, Ferguscum, etc. with any variation including old, aged, etc.

Is PurpleNose acceptable?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now I will follow his every step on the pitch closely so I can make a judgement on him, I usually need around 4-5 games to be able to give an accurate report of his weaknesses and strenghts and how he will fit into our gameplan and system.

Haha, that bit really cracked me up. The thought of Code sat at home writing his 'reports' on our players, quality!

Some people take this football lark far too seriously.

• 5 weeks later...
He won the CL with GH`s squad on penalties, this was 5 years ago, we beat West Ham in the FA Cup final, I dont think WQset ham fans would agree they had a better starting position, better squad or more money than us.

His titles from Spain are outdated and brings me to one of the points I was going to raise in this thread.

Could Rafa`s methods be outdated?

Do other teams use the same tactics but with more flair and skill in their sides so Rafa`s beliefs that hard work will win you things might not hold water anymore.

Norway once only had Brazil ahead of them in the FIFA rankings, mainly because of a solid organisation based on zonal marking all ove the pitch but after other teams adopted the same ideas we soon dropped in the rankings.

So what exactly is it which makes Rafa a great coach compared to others, is it because of how we organise our defense compared to others, is it because of our brilliant atacking gameplan etc?

Is it because of his ability to get the best out of everyone?

I could go on and on, but this is not about why I dont think he is anything special, this is about why others think he is.

Hate to qoute myself, but would like to see if things have changed a bit lately and add that I think Rafa`s ideas are outdated, they need to be developed and I dont think he has got it in him to do that.

He has taken this team as far as he can and as others have adopted the high pressure tactics Rafa now comes up short far too often because of his shortcomings in the attacking game.

Benitez would not have won anything without Steven Gerrard, a player he inherited. Had he left in 2004, how long would Rafa have lasted?

Fortune favours the brave? We are never brave in team selections, and we are getting what we deserve.

• 1 month later...