You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

It means that I'm going to wait another three weeks or so, then get a trampy looking mate to turn up at Anfield to hand over my offer of £13.67 for Liverpool Football Club to Messrs Hicks and Gillett.

I can feel your smug sense of self satisfaction between every word you've written there. Don't get too cozy though - i've got somewhere in the region of 60 - 80 quid in the Halifax. Plus, i've got shit i could sell if it came to it.

I can feel your smug sense of self satisfaction between every word you've written there. Don't get too cozy though - i've got somewhere in the region of 60 - 80 quid in the Halifax. Plus, i've got shit i could sell if it came to it.

Well by my reckoning that gives us somewhere in the region of £90+ if we pool our resources. I think the club would be much better off with two owners.

Hicks is nothing more than a pumped up Buy-To-Let investor. He simply buys sports teams, leverages them up to insane values then withdraws equity from the property boom and looks for his next victim. A great way to become a quick Billionaire, although you need to remember that you're in a bubble and the values are nothing like real worth. Looks like he believed his own hype and got greedy, the fat cunt.

Guest Bandulu
some poster on RAWK reckons the contracts are being drawn up as we speak . . .

anyone on here have that info ?

Just been reading that. He's added plenty of caveats just in case he's making it up - which is quite obviously the case.

GEORGE GILLETT IN NEW KOP BID

Co-owner believes Canadiens sale will allow him to oust Tom Hicks

By CHRIS BASCOMBE, 11/04/2009

GEORGE GILLETT is to make a last-ditch attempt to oust co-owner Tom Hicks from Liverpool.

The Anfield war betwen the two Americans is entering its final stages as the pair have three months to raise their share of a £350million debt to keep the club.

Both are desperately trying to get funds by selling shares in their other sporting franchises, while also keeping the door open to potential partnerships with Arab businessmen.

After looking the most financially vulnerable of the duo, Gillett is now increasingly confident the imminent £272m sale of his Montreal Canadiens hockey side will allow him to to pile the pressure on Hicks.

Gillett, who attended the Champions League clash with Chelsea at Anfield and is due in London for the second leg on Tuesday, believes Hicks has debts of £350-400m in the United States.

The Texan is trying to offload shares in the Texas Rangers baseball team and ice hockey's Dallas Stars. Despite that, Hicks has been pushing ahead with ambitious plans for Liverpool's future and has done nothing to suggest he's about to walk away.

Gillett made it clear earlier this season he'd leave Liverpool if Hicks went with him.

That stance appeared to soften after he became the prime target of criticism from some Kop fans and he took a back seat as Hicks played the pivotal role in securing manager Rafa Benitez's future.

There were fears Gillett was prepared to step aside and allow Hicks to pursue his own bid for power.

But the picture will change with the sale of the Montreal Canadiens. Now the duo are effectively embroiled in a high stakes race to see who can raise finance first and force the other out, ending what's been a tiresome and damaging power struggle.

Security

Sources close to Gillett insist he's still ready to explore all options - either cutting his ties completely, taking a joint-ownership role with a new partner or remaining as a minority shareholder under a new board.

It's understood the only scenario Gillett won't accept is remaining at Anfield with Hicks. Waiting in the wings are Dubai and Kuwaiti investors, who think the Americans are more vulnerable by the week.

They are sure to make fresh bids at the end of the season.

Recent new deals for Benitez, Steven Gerrard and Dirk Kuyt, and the forthcoming securing of Fernando Torres on a five-year, £120,000-a-week contract, are designed to reassure the banks and potential investors of the long-term security of the club.

What Bascombe's article (in my head - he always seems to be shouting and in a state of mild hysteria) get's right I believe, is Gillett's attitude toward Hicks' owenership and making sure he's gone before leaving himself. If however to do this he would buy him out by selling the Canadiens - I doubt that would happen - partly because I don't think he would sell the Canadiens, and partly because it would be very last minutte if at all before Hicks would accept Gillett buying him out.

Not impossible - but very unlikely.

There would be only one thing worse than being sole owned by Tom Hicks, and that would be being solely owned by George Gillett, aka The Snake. At least Hicks stabs you in the heart, not the back. Rafa would also be gone within minutes.

Ps Also Bascombe's article shows his true colours once again and shows where much of his info comes from - "fears that Gillett would step aside"???? Surely mad celebrations in the streets of Liverpool, eh Chris?

I'd prefer to be owned by Gillett than by Hicks - there is just something very George Bush about Tom Hicks. I hate the pair of them but if I had to choose one it wouldn't be Hicks. That said the end game is coming and the race is to see which one stays as a minority share holder.

If Gillett sells Canadiens then he becomes a powerful force money wise as he could use a cash deposit and not sanction debt on the club to help Hicks.

globeandmail.com: Gillett juggles options

I'd prefer to be owned by Gillett than by Hicks - there is just something very George Bush about Tom Hicks. I hate the pair of them but if I had to choose one it wouldn't be Hicks. That said the end game is coming and the race is to see which one stays as a minority share holder.

If Gillett sells Canadiens then he becomes a powerful force money wise as he could use a cash deposit and not sanction debt on the club to help Hicks.

So you don't care that Gillett would sack the manager withn seconds of assuming overall control? And install his mate Jurgen (likely to be sacked by Bayern in the summer). Add to that he'd probably get Rick Parry back as Chief Exec?

And utterly naive to think Gillett would put any money into the club - he's looking for a nest-egg to protect his family.

So you don't care that Gillett would sack the manager withn seconds of assuming overall control? And install his mate Jurgen (likely to be sacked by Bayern). Add to that he'd probably get Rick Parry back as Chief Exec?

And utterly naive to think Gillett would put any money into the club - he's looking for a nest-egg to protect his family.

You are guessing mate. Rafa wouldn't have got a contract and Parry wouldn't have been ousted without Gillett giving it the go ahead. So what exactly do you think Tom Hicks (destroyer of Corinthians) is in it for?

i would rather have Hicks. Obviously i would rather have neither, but of the two Hicks has played a (slightly) straighter bat.

It means that I'm going to wait another three weeks or so, then get a trampy looking mate to turn up at Anfield to hand over my offer of £13.67 for Liverpool Football Club to Messrs Hicks and Gillett.

Well by my reckoning that gives us somewhere in the region of £90+ if we pool our resources. I think the club would be much better off with two owners.

I reckon i could cut back on our wage bill too just by being really friendly and taking them all out bowling and that. Do you know anyone who can make cakes?

I believe Cath can. This might just have legs.

We aren't arsed by any of that. What we want to know is how much your summer transfer warchest will be?

We aren't arsed by any of that. What we want to know is how much your summer transfer warchest will be?

It's yet to be finalised. But it will be out of my own pocket, rather than saddling the club with any more debt. I believe the tax rules changed as of this month, netting me a cool £10 extra per month. The club can have that for starters, no questions asked.

It's yet to be finalised. But it will be out of my own pocket, rather than saddling the club with any more debt. I believe the tax rules changed as of this month, netting me a cool £10 extra per month. The club can have that for starters, no questions asked.

I'm considering making my extensive Nectar and Boots points collection available to the Liquid-Shit consortium but I need to do the due diligence first.