You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Was chatting to the Mrs about this the other day, and for all the moaning/joking about age I do I wouldn't change anything. I love the 80s and am glad I was around to see then, I feel lucky I'm old enough to remember the concept of 'playing out' as a kid, but am glad I missed the advent of mobile and social media technology when I was a teenager - that must be absolute hell. Also glad I was in my early 20s when everyone decided drinking 20 pints a night and falling asleep in your own sick was tremendous craic, rather than going for a Botswanan blend of coffee that's been shat out by a bat, but absolutely no way would I want to be a student now with these debts - or out on the lash every weekend either. Everything happened at just the right time.   

Was chatting to the Mrs about this the other day, and for all the moaning/joking about age I do I wouldn't change anything. I love the 80s and am glad I was around to see then, I feel lucky I'm old enough to remember the concept of 'playing out' as a kid, but am glad I missed the advent of mobile and social media technology when I was a teenager - that must be absolute hell. Also glad I was in my early 20s when everyone decided drinking 20 pints a night and falling asleep in your own sick was tremendous craic, rather than going for a Botswanan blend of coffee that's been shat out by a bat, but absolutely no way would I want to be a student now with these debts - or out on the lash every weekend either. Everything happened at just the right time.

Don't know if missing out on the technology is such a good thing mate. I'd love to be a young single childless man with access to Tinder and POF and all the other wonderful apps they have today.

Getting a fuck meant effort with the potential of failure in our day.

Don't know if missing out on the technology is such a good thing mate. I'd love to be a young single childless man with access to Tinder and POF and all the other wonderful apps they have today.

Getting a fuck meant effort with the potential of failure in our day.

But as a teen? No, thanks. Sure, there are some advantages for kids now but we had our embarrassments and may have been the talk of the year for a couple of days but then that was it. Now, you're indiscretions can be indelibly locked online forever. Whether you want it or not

But as a teen? No, thanks. Sure, there are some advantages for kids now but we had our embarrassments and may have been the talk of the year for a couple of days but then that was it. Now, you're indiscretions can be indelibly locked online forever. Whether you want it or not

One of several reasons I'm still not on Facebook.

Modern technology, particularly the internet, is boss, but I'd happily go back to the 1980's and stay there, if time travel was possible.

Aspects of it definitely. The internet would have been perfect for my method of learning in school. I'm dyslexic and the way things are taught in schools was largely wasted on me, I just had to cram before an exam with study guides or shite I'd written down on pieces of paper. I'd have been in Wikipedia heaven half an hour before each exam and managed to cobble together some better results I like to think.

I'd have hated to have had social media back then  though, teenage life is tough enough without being given the general impression that absolutely everyone except you is reclining back on a speed boat in Sydney harbour getting a hand job. 

• Upvote 3

I also like the concept of arranging something beforehand and then meeting up at that designated time, without 900 "group" chats about someone being 5 minutes late. And then when you are actually out, having a, you know, conversation. 

Ha! Arranging to meet someone in town was a demanding job back then, it was like the opening scene from Drive.

'I'll be there at noon on the dot, five minutes late and I'm gone'. 

• Upvote 1

Bloody hell, it's like a mad gypsy curse.

"You'll see what happens! Don't say I didn't warn you!"

There's no avoiding it for them. End of. If we used to be getting shit at school or wherever at least you knew you could come home to escape it but now it'll be on their phones, everyone elses's phones, facey and all the other headfuck places they post

All the students in B&M buying pans, cleaning products and super noodles. I want shout at them they should be buying condoms because of super gonorrhoea.

Either that or follow them saying in a ghostly voice "oooooo I am the balding low paid ghost of media degree future wooOooOoo"

Hahahahahaha