You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I gave Ait Nouri my boy status in 2021. He's quality but seems to have the stamina of a wet paper bag. He's probably best signing for a team that can afford 90m on a 60 minute player.

I also picked him as one of my u21 players in a draft, which i was also robbed in, incidentally.

Destined for the top.

He'd be the 13th most played player in our team this season for equivalent minutes, he's the 9th most played for Wolves in minutes

10 games he's played the full 90

17 games he's played 80mins or greater.

Think this might be a summer window where we’re panicking at the end of it when our best players are refusing to sign new contracts and we’re fielding off pathetic bids from europes elite.

18 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Think this might be a summer window where we’re panicking at the end of it when our best players are refusing to sign new contracts and we’re fielding off pathetic bids from europes elite.

Trent is the issue

He has the club over a barrel a bit now in terms of wages and position he wants to play in. Only a couple of clubs can afford him and the Real will already be sounding out his agent imo telling them to sit still and they'll make a peanuts offer in late August or they'll take him on a free in next year. 

I pretty much expect the club to be half sounding out the Saudi's with Mo hoping they make a offer and hoping that Mo agent says he wants to go or asks for a rise in his wages he is on so they can sell. 

i think Virg stays

Get you fucking hands in your pockets John and back the manager for once. 

If not we are setting him up for utter failure and it won't be his fault

Many players in this squad showing they can't play the high intensity football or in some's case won't put the fucking effort in. Klopp has saved and made this club a fortune over the years and some big decisions need made. 

Shame that Bradley is injured as Trent needs a fucking spell on the sidelines, there is no other way to put it other than he has turned into a lazy fuck on the pitch. completely unwilling to do much dirty work if its not a game against one of the biggest teams. Strolls around like a old fashioned number 10. The inverted fullback stuff has completely fucked up the right flank for a couple of years even if we have still got results, there is no balance what so ever. We moved our best forward further wide to accommodate him.

Virgil has been good for most of the season but looks to be going backwards of late, though that may be down to Konate looking the worst he has since he joined and Robertson looking like a Queen of the South player for months yet still being played

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Salah and Trent out and there would be your budget.

Who is going to pay big for Trent though with a year on his deal. We won't want to sell domestically so that leaves Real,PSG,Bayern or Saudi. Saudi is a no go,PSG have Hakimi. Both Bayern and Real will offer silly money and tell him to wait a year. The only hope would be Real getting Davis from Bayern and Bayern wanting to be seen to react and Kane convincing Trent to go there and maybe we could get 70/80ml off them. 

Even then you are then going to have to spend half of that trying to get someone like Frimpong in if he leaves Leverkusen

Trent isn't going anywhere.

Salah, VVD, maybe. It could be a bit of a transition year anyway, with a new manager, so it makes sense to sell off a few of the older ones and reload a bit. But it would have to be an insane (100m+) offer for Trent, and there is no way Real or anyone else are paying that much. Fully expect us to offer him, and him to sign, a big new deal.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mark M said:

The more Salah is playing now the more his value is dropping. We were better as a team against Fulham when he didn't start. 

We've been better for most of our games in 2024 when Salah didn't start.

He's been a brilliant player for us, in my all time top three with Suarez and Gerrard but I think it's time to cash in on Salah in the summer.

The money raised by selling Salah should allow us to get two decent forwards in. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

We've been better for most of our games in 2024 when Salah didn't start.

He's been a brilliant player for us, in my all time top three with Suarez and Gerrard but I think it's time to cash in on Salah in the summer.

The money raised by selling Salah should allow us to get two decent forwards in. 

We've had 2 title challenging season destroyed by Salah's form after returning from afcon. On both occasions he was flying going into it and then basically a passenger after returning. The problem with Salah, is he's so good, he gets picked regardless of form. But you can't just be on the pitch and not compete, which is what we've seen since his return from injury. If Salah is to stay, he needs to fuck off international football. He's too old to do it now. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We've had 2 title challenging season destroyed by Salah's form after returning from afcon. On both occasions he was flying going into it and then basically a passenger after returning. The problem with Salah, is he's so good, he gets picked regardless of form. But you can't just be on the pitch and not compete, which is what we've seen since his return from injury. If Salah is to stay, he needs to fuck off international football. He's too old to do it now. 

He's never going to fuck off International football.

He'd go from hero to villain in Egypt if he prioritised playing for us over them. It's stupid though because Egypt are shit and are never going to win anything. 

One think we have to consider when replacing Salah is that we need players that aren't disappearing every two years midway through the season. I'd steer clear of signing African players unless the tournament actually gets moved to the European summer permanently. 

2 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

He'd go from hero to villain in Egypt if he prioritised playing for us over them. It's stupid though because Egypt are shit and are never going to win anything. 

One think we have to consider when replacing Salah is that we need players that aren't disappearing every two years midway through the season. I'd steer clear of signing African players unless the tournament actually gets moved to the European summer permanently. 

Yeah, I think you're right, he won't give it up and that should be the final straw for us. Different players of course, but it's mirroring the nonsense we had with Henderson. That fucking chump konate too, we're fucking nursing him playing once per week and he's playing midweek friendlies before weekend matches. I'd get rid of him too. 

Are Saudi teams still going to be signing players from Europe for big money this summer? I’m really not sure they will. You’d imagine Salah would still be a player they’d target for cultural and religious reasons but I think the days of us offloading shite like Henderson and Fabinho there are over.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Are Saudi teams still going to be signing players from Europe for big money this summer? I’m really not sure they will. You’d imagine Salah would still be a player they’d target for cultural and religious reasons but I think the days of us offloading shite like Henderson and Fabinho there are over.

After this last season I think most will give a long second thought to going over there. Surprising as they seemed to have all the pieces in place to make a big splash except folks actually wanting to see it.

That said I don't see us getting over @ 50 mil for Mo from them, or anyone tbh.

It will be hard to replace just that position with his fee - the talk of us buying a couple good players off of it is well off the mark imo.

35 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Kinell imagine how bad this season would have been if we’d still had Henderson and Fabinho instead of Gravenberch and Endo, we’d have been battling the mancs for sixth

We might still be the way things are going

36 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

After this last season I think most will give a long second thought to going over there. Surprising as they seemed to have all the pieces in place to make a big splash except folks actually wanting to see it.

That said I don't see us getting over @ 50 mil for Mo from them, or anyone tbh.

It will be hard to replace just that position with his fee - the talk of us buying a couple good players off of it is well off the mark imo.

I think Saudi clubs will be a bit more measured this summer and won't have the same mad scatter gun approach they had in 2023.

Considering that they spent €90 million on Neymar, we should be able to get a similar amount, if not more for Salah as he has a much bigger pull. We should get Gerrard involved too, to sell it to them about how good a deal it would be.  

7 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think Saudi clubs will be a bit more measured this summer and won't have the same mad scatter gun approach they had in 2023.

Considering that they spent €90 million on Neymar, we should be able to get a similar amount, if not more for Salah as he has a much bigger pull. We should get Gerrard involved too, to sell it to them about how good a deal it would be.  

That was the offer last year wasn't it?

Who would Gerrard sell it too - he works for one of the po' clubs.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That was the offer last year wasn't it?

Who would Gerrard sell it too - he works for one of the po' clubs.

There was rumours that they were prepared to offer £150 million.

Yeah but in they are all in in together in terms of raising the profile of the league. He could sell it that offering £100 million for one of the best players in the world would be a real statement signing.

If they were smart they might even get Salah to go to Gerrards team. Salah would bring in a lot more fans to a smaller Saudi team, a bit like the way Messi has at Miami. 

Mate, Gerrards team plays in front of crowds that my college team drew (7k). Salah could double that sides attendance and the stadium would still be half full - literally, it holds 35k.

Miami were near sellouts before (18k) and are now sellout each game (21k)

2 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'll put you in the no column for Mbuemo then?

Wouldn't be selling Van Dijk.

Would move Salah on.

I reckon Trent may want to move on himself. 

In terms of last year's signings, Mac Allister has been excellent. Szoboszlai started brilliantly and faded fast. Endo has been a smart signing. Don't know what to make of Gravenberch. I'd keep them all for now but we need another midfielder at least. Problem is that you could make an argument for both a 6 and and 8.