You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Attack

Mil-ing Around

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

If we played with fullbacks like we used to we could play 4-3-1-2 when everyone is fit (no laughing at the back), with Gakpo playing just off Salah and Jota. Diaz and Nunez could be used to stretch teams late on in games. 

I’m not too sure. Gakpo needs a 10 metre circle to turn in when he’s finally got the ball under control and he won’t get that space as the 1. 

Just now, Red74 said:

I’m not too sure. Gakpo needs a 10 metre circle to turn in when he’s finally got the ball under control and he won’t get that space as the 1. 

It's the only space he can operate really. Waste of time out wide, and at least as a ten with two forwards ahead of him centrebacks would be reluctant to get dragged out of position. However it can be the Hungarian there instead. 

Whoever plays upfront for us at the moment is always isolated. The general play of our wide players has been fucking awful for a while, obviously not helped by our full back experiment.

I don’t think Diaz has what it takes, sadly.  More time and money lost.  With Nunez, I would have expected him to have improved much more, and more quickly, than he has.  The only forward we have who contributes with and without the ball to an acceptable level is Jota, and as an added bonus he knows where the goal is.  

All of the other forward or forward-looking players we have are better off the bench.  Bits and pieces players, really.  Not one of them would you trust to hold down a place for a season. Nunez, Diaz, Gakpo, Grav, Elliot, Carvalho etc - we’ve got plenty of them. 

• 3 months later...

Made this post 4 months ago, was pretty obvious then that this attack isn't good enough. 

Dave U has promised me he's handing out week long bans for anyone who replies with how many goals we've scored or screenshots of Salahs stats.

We've replaced Firmino and Mane with some pretty average forwards. They certainly won't get better when Klopp leaves that's for sure. Maybe that's one of his reasons for leaving (amongst many) because he's fiercely loyal and he won't just sell them to replace them. But deep down he knows. He's not stupid. 

You can't break through in the situations we've had against United 4v2, 5v2, 3 on 3 and not create a guilt edged chance in 180+ minutes of football. It's fucking criminal. It shows a lack of ability and composure and talent.

Keepers great

Defence good

Midfield decent, maybe needs one more top class player

Attack...you could easily sell 3 or 4 of them

2 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Made this post 4 months ago, was pretty obvious then that this attack isn't good enough. 

Dave U has promised me he's handing out week long bans for anyone who replies with how many goals we've scored or screenshots of Salahs stats.

We've replaced Firmino and Mane with some pretty average forwards. They certainly won't get better when Klopp leaves that's for sure. Maybe that's one of his reasons for leaving (amongst many) because he's fiercely loyal and he won't just sell them to replace them. But deep down he knows. He's not stupid. 

You can't break through in the situations we've had against United 4v2, 5v2, 3 on 3 and not create a guilt edged chance in 180+ minutes of football. It's fucking criminal. It shows a lack of ability and composure and talent.

Keepers great

Defence good

Midfield decent, maybe needs one more top class player

Attack...you could easily sell 3 or 4 of them

You’re clearly right. Jota’s absence has cost us massively. For me, it’s the lack of composure that is costing us. 

if that Salah money is on the table again in summer - we have to take it. Jota and Danns are the only strikers who are safe - the rest are expendable. 

12 hours ago, Kevin D said:

127 goals scored in all competitions and 5 goals in 2 trips to Old Trafford tells me that the problem is not the attack.

Efficiency rather than volume is the issue.

We hired a throwing coach to eek out that 0.01 percent extra as these little improvements all add up. Whoever the coach is that works with the players on shooting.. he himself needs to be shot by one of our players so he can be thankful he still lives and also ashamed of his work. I'm tired of seeing them curse under their breath as they spoon yet another chance. Do better its your job you are paid extraordinary amounts of money because you are elite level footballers, you kick the ball at that goal in training until the moon is above your head and your ma has grown tired or shouting you for your tea. You frustrating son's of bitches!

Shit I'm still not over it. Our shooting has been a bane of mine even when we won the bloody league.

Tompkins needs to write a fucking scroll on Liverpools forwards conversion rates and how they compare to the rest of the league because I want to know if our players miss rate is  normal or if its bizzare because it may just be its because its my team it feels we are worse.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We hired a throwing coach to eek out that 0.01 percent extra as these little improvements all add up. Whoever the coach is that works with the players on shooting.. he himself needs to be shot by one of our players so he can be thankful he still lives and also ashamed of his work. I'm tired of seeing them curse under their breath as they spoon yet another chance. Do better its your job you are paid extraordinary amounts of money because you are elite level footballers, you kick the ball at that goal in training until the moon is above your head and your ma has grown tired or shouting you for your tea. You frustrating son's of bitches!

Shit I'm still not over it. Our shooting has been a bane of mine even when we won the bloody league.

Tompkins needs to write a fucking scroll on Liverpools forwards conversion rates and how they compare to the rest of the league because I want to know if our players miss rate is  normal or if its bizzare because it may just be its because its my team it feels we are worse.

They don't spend training time on how to kick a ball. They're professional footballers. It's all mental, nothing to do with technique.

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

It looks a hell of a lot like technique and composure. 

I just think we never look relaxed in front of goal, it seems frantic where they're either just hitting pot shots or hesitating or not committing to the strike and hitting it like a feather like salah does.

We're also pretty poor at creating anything from within the box, we just keep going sideways and every players is taking 4 touches when the massive key is actually just hitting it early so the keeper doesn't have time to set his feet before he dives.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You're a moron.

Screenshot_2024-04-08-15-40-02-27_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

And your fucking stupid if you think Klopp isn't the big factor for us being right up there.

Not sure if you got the news but he's leaving and he ain't taking the attackers on holiday with him.

You're also dumb if you think the next guy is going to get this team to perform at that level next season. 

The problem here is not the amount of goals we score or the quality of our shooting (although that needs improving). It's how we create the chances to score.

United are a mess. We played against a shit back 4 yesterday and a dog shit goal keeper. We broke on them multiple times in 2 games, we had extra players, out numbered them, but we couldn't even put a chance on a plate for someone to finish.

I didnt post this thread 4 months ago because I knew it would happen in these two games against United. It was pretty obvious back then and now it's being highlighted.

Against a low block they struggle and even in an open game like last night, they struggle. They lack composure, ability and decision making. They don't see the right pass at the right time, don't make the correct runs and don't have the football brains to carve out really good chances for each other.

You want to win the big prizes and be one of the best teams in the world? Well this attack ain't getting you to that level. They aren't bad players but they aren't great players. And if you want to win leagues and champions leagues consistently you need great players. 

36 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

And your fucking stupid if you think Klopp isn't the big factor for us being right up there.

Not sure if you got the news but he's leaving and he ain't taking the attackers on holiday with him.

You're also dumb if you think the next guy is going to get this team to perform at that level next season. 

The problem here is not the amount of goals we score or the quality of our shooting (although that needs improving). It's how we create the chances to score.

United are a mess. We played against a shit back 4 yesterday and a dog shit goal keeper. We broke on them multiple times in 2 games, we had extra players, out numbered them, but we couldn't even put a chance on a plate for someone to finish.

I didnt post this thread 4 months ago because I knew it would happen in these two games against United. It was pretty obvious back then and now it's being highlighted.

Against a low block they struggle and even in an open game like last night, they struggle. They lack composure, ability and decision making. They don't see the right pass at the right time, don't make the correct runs and don't have the football brains to carve out really good chances for each other.

You want to win the big prizes and be one of the best teams in the world? Well this attack ain't getting you to that level. They aren't bad players but they aren't great players. And if you want to win leagues and champions leagues consistently you need great players. 

I agree with a lot of this apart from the low block part. That's a weak point for Klopp and how narrow he plays. Also we can still win the league with these forwards, I'm not giving up on that with 7 games to go.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Mane and Firmino missed loads as well and that's true but what they had compared to Diaz and Nunez was far more game intelligence.

I can make a case just about for Diaz under a new manager but Nunez has so many ugly aspects to his game I'm not sure what can be done if Klopp still hasn't polished him after 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Yeah, posting the goal tally without context is dumb.

The attack is built under a very modern philosophy; take advantage of 5 subs by having 5 good options and have all 5 options (less so Gakpo, but he's still capable) be able to create shooting opportunites and chances on their own. Over the course of a season, that in theory allows you to score goals consistently, even if the finishing is not great, just by sheer volume of opportunities. And when you have forwards who can create stuff on their own, they're usually explosive enough to shoot and create from good areas as well, so that increases the goals as well.

Unfortunately though, in singular games and especially big games, you need people who are clinical. And you look at our record against big teams in England and in those games, they don't make it happen enough.

The idea was similar with Mané, Firmino and Salah and we would often say the same thing about the finishing anyway but they were just better overall players than the ones we have now. I just don't like any of them individually, except Gakpo, but he is the least effective of the 5. The compensation is we have 5 now instead of 3.

The reality is I'm not sure there's a fix. A player like Son who is always overperforming on the finishing, and you can count on that, is really rare.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, posting the goal tally without context is dumb.

The attack is built under a very modern philosophy; take advantage of 5 subs by having 5 good options and have all 5 options (less so Gakpo, but he's still capable) be able to create shooting opportunites and chances on their own. Over the course of a season, that in theory allows you to score goals consistently, even if the finishing is not great, just by sheer volume of opportunities. And when you have forwards who can create stuff on their own, they're usually explosive enough to shoot and create from good areas as well, so that increases the goals as well.

Unfortunately though, in singular games and especially big games, you need people who are clinical. And you look at our record against big teams in England and in those games, they don't make it happen enough.

The idea was similar with Mané, Firmino and Salah and we would often say the same thing about the finishing anyway but they were just better overall players than the ones we have now. The compensation is we have 5 instead of 3.

The reality is I'm not sure there's a fix. A player like Son who is always overperforming on the finishing and you can count on that, is really rare.

In a nutshell.

There aren't many players that are able to create a shitload of chances and are equally as clinical. We were blessed with prime Mane and Salah, who weren't snipers but were able to put away a large percentage of what they created.

• Upvote 1