You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James: Kelleher is in a good spot despite not playing regularly

TLW

David James believes Caoimhin Kelleher can still have a fine career at Liverpool by making the most of the opportunities given to him.

The Irishman is set to surpass his personal record of appearances for the first team in a season which currently stands at eight (2020/21).

He has already reached that figure in this campaign and with Europa League and Domestic Cup games still to be played, you suspect all things considered that it will be well into the double figures come May.

Speaking in depth about the situation to the Echo, James who made 214 appearances for the Reds said while it is a frustrating situation to be a backup, it should not define a career, especially when you consider who is in front of them.

“I am a self-confessed fanboy of Alisson. The question often comes up of ‘who is the best goalkeeper in the world’ and I know Emi Martinez has been voted that. Yes he won the World Cup and was massively influential in that, but is he the best? Alisson proved last year and the ones before that without him in top form, Liverpool don’t challenge for trophies or win them.

"I’ve met Caoimhin a few times, not that we’ve sat down for a long chat over a coffee, and he strikes me as someone who is capable in every department. I don’t think that is in question. But football is a really funny industry in the sense that you don’t have to be the No.1 to have a good career. He has probably got more medals than I have and played in more winning finals than I did.

James said that Kelleher will have to decide what is the best move for his career, but in many ways staying put may well be the best thing for him as the grass is not always greener on the other side.

image.jpeg

“For Kelleher to go and be first-choice in a promoted side from the Championship next season, he might get exposed to a lot of things. He will play the games but not get the rewards he is getting at Liverpool by playing fewer games. I wouldn’t argue with him either way over what he decides to do.

“If he’s happy getting the odd games and a sustained spell in the team when Alisson gets an injury, then there shouldn’t be any intention for him to move. It’s only when he gets his chance and performances are substandard because he hasn’t played enough that he should then start to ask the question of ‘Do I need to play more games to get myself back up?’

James believes that if the 25 year-old does look to stick with the Reds for the long term (current contract runs until 2026), then his loyalty will pay off in the end.

image.jpeg

“If the allure of being Liverpool’s No.1 in three, four, five or six years from now is still there, why do you want to go somewhere else? If I was with and in the situation I had with Brad Friedel, I would leave.

"If I was him [Kelleher], being more experienced and realising I had the chance to take over as first-choice, I would hang around or have a good conversation with the club over a short-term loan. He is in a good spot and it will be a difficult ask for him to have to think about going to play somewhere else."

View full article