You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can We Just Stop and Think About This for a Moment?

Jurgen Knows

Just now, Fugitive said:

Yeah, you are a rape apologist.

Your opinions mean fuck all, lad.

Good bye

I could say the same about you. It is happening in your own backyard and you pretend not to see it.

Again: Double standards. Cultural bigotry.

Let’s wait for the Arab World to have their world cup so we can get on our high horse and lecture them about all that is WRONG in their countries … guess what Sherlock … it is not heaven over here, but your country is not heaven either. If you had waged the same campaign against Russia 4 years ago I would have actually joined your campaign against Qatar. But no … you only remember human rights when it comes to the Arabs.

Double standards. Cultural bigotry. You have failed to address that.

You can google every last issue in Qatar and post it here. It doesn’t change the fact that you’ve failed to address the key points of the thread:

Double standards. Cultural bigotry.

It also doesn’t change the fact that your country is not cleaner. Mire women are raped and more gays are abused in your country than in Qatar.

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

How would I do that? Knock on a door that the police suspect is home to a gay man and asked him if he has been abused? Do the police keep lists?

Ask the women if they would feel safer here or  in the UK. Ask migrant workers if they would feel safer and more welcome here or in the UK.

You wouldn’t bother. And once the World Cup is over none of the bastions of human rights would bother. Human rights only matter when it suits certain agendas.

4 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Ask the women if they would feel safer here or  in the UK.

You wouldn’t bother. And once the World Cup is over none of the bastions of human rights would bother. Human rights only matter when it suits certain agendas.

How would they be able to answer? Have they lived in the UK? By that logic, I could ask women here if they would feel safer here or in Qatar. I'm willing to bet they would choose here. Why don't you come over here and ask them?

And you can ask gay people while you're at it. Which country do you think they are going to choose?

1 minute ago, M_B said:

How would they be able to answer? Have they lived in the UK? By that logic, I could ask women here if they would feel safer here or in Qatar. I'm willing ot bet they would choose here. Why don't you come over here and ask them?

I don’t need to come to your country and ask them. I’m not the one lecturing others about human rights. I know that each country has its fair share of human rights issues. This is why I don’t choose specific world cups in specific countries to lecture about human rights. 

Just now, Jurgen Knows said:

I don’t need to come to your country and ask them. I’m not the one lecturing others about human rights. I know that each country has its fair share of human rights issues. This is why I don’t choose specific world cups in specific countries to lecture about human rights. 

Right oh.

The focus is on Qatar cause the World Cup is there. Nobody would give a fuck otherwise. You need to accept that the spotlight is on your country for the moment. Once the Cup ends, Qatar will be forgotten about and you can go back to locking up the LGBT community.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

Right oh.

The focus is on Qatar cause the World Cup is there. Nobody would give a fuck otherwise. You need to accept that the spotlight is on your country for the moment. Once the Cup ends, Qatar will be forgotten about and you can go back to locking up the LGBT community.

What about when Russia was under the spotlight in 2018? I don’t remember the same vicious campaign for human rights?

What about USA 2026? 

Are these questions not relevant? You can call it whataboutery to avoid answering. I call it double standards and cultural bigotry.

1 minute ago, Jurgen Knows said:

What about when Russia was under the spotlight in 2018? I don’t remember the same vicious campaign for human rights?

What about USA 2026? 

Are these questions not relevant? You can call it whataboutery to avoid answering. I call it double standards and cultural bigotry.

You have a point. There was certainly talk about LGBT rights when Russia was hosting the Cup, but you are right in that it wasn't as high profile across the media.

Does that mean they should not speak out about LGBT rights now? If not, when should they? Are you saying that because it is sport, nothing should ever be mentioned about the hosting country?

It remains to be seen what happens with the US. I'm sure some reporters will mention human rights in America, but lets face it, the US isn't locking up its LGBT community for their sexual preference.

4 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

And thank you for admitting that nobody would give a fuck had the world cup not been here.

I’m sure nobody would. Human rights only matter when it can be used for certain agendas.

Which is exactly why the World Cup is as an opportunity to highlight Human Rights abuses. It focuses the worlds attention on the country.