You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

6 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Bet there’s 27 people who would change their mind about the “should we sign him poll” 

You're looking at that question and response out of context.

As I said at the time, it wasn't that I thought he would be a poor addition to the squad, it was that when we bought him, I felt we had a much more pressing need in midfield, as indeed last season proved.

It's like buying a Ferrari when your house is crumbling. It's not that I don't like Ferraris, but that roof is going to kill me if it collapses.

If FSG aren't skinflints and they provide the funds to address the midfield in addition to £85m for a promising forward, then it's a different response. Unfortunately I live in the real world.

Nunez is box office.
You have to watch him because he can be brilliant and ridiculous in equal measure in the same match.

He’s got something about him that endears and outrages and yes, he does miss easy chances.
But had Salah, Mane and Firmino put away every chance they had made for them over the last 5 years, we’d have possibly had two more titles and one more CL I think.

Just get behind him and let Klopp decide the rest.

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

It's like buying a Ferrari when your house is crumbling. It's not that I don't like Ferraris, but that roof is going to kill me if it collapses.

If the roof collapses then you might be able to see the whole moon…. 

• Upvote 1

His goal tonight reminded me of two goals from our recent history.

First was Torres' sensational strike against Sunderland, because it's a similar position and curls similarly into the top corner:

The second was one of Suarez' goals against Norwich, where he had just fluffed his lines with a poor touch, the opposition fans were winding him up, and he just goes and shuts them up with something none of their players is capable of doing on their best day:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-9N-OY1EEy0

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

First was Torres' sensational strike against Sunderland, because it's a similar position and curls similarly into the top corner:

The second was one of Suarez' goals against Norwich, where he had just fluffed his lines with a poor touch, the opposition fans were winding him up, and he just goes and shuts them up with something none of their players is capable of doing on their best day:

Makes me sad how perfect Torres was for a while. 

• Upvote 3

On 28/10/2023 at 13:35, TD_LFC said:

In terms of taking chances and becoming more consistent/efficient.

You keep banging on about taking chances. Even the very best forward players have a chance conversion rate of 25-30%. Meaning the likes of Haaland or Messi or Ronaldo tend to miss 70-75% of chances. 

You need to stop damning him with faint praises. He's still 23, so of course he needs to improve further but it's ridiculous to behave as if he is still majorly flawed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Said before he's always struck me as a raw Torres, but with more pace/dribbling threat. He's boss and he's going to get better and better.

8 hours ago, Supremolad said:

You keep banging on about taking chances. Even the very best forward players have a chance conversion rate of 25-30%. Meaning the likes of Haaland or Messi or Ronaldo tend to miss 70-75% of chances. 

You need to stop damning him with faint praises. He's still 23, so of course he needs to improve further but it's ridiculous to behave as if he is still majorly flawed.

Wasn't going to comment but since you quoted me directly i'll repeat what i said a week or so back. You know as well as I do  its the type of chances and how he misses that's the issue not how it compares to other strikers.

When he misses he misses, it's more often than not an open goal or he doesn't hit the target at all that separates him from the players you mention and why they then look so egregious and why he gets the stick he does from outside (people still replay that one Haaland miss).

It's funny and cute when he does it early in the season or in games that are already won, but if he doesn't get a grip on it the tide will turn pretty quickly when we're title/Cup chasing and losing points/semi finals because he's quirky and chaotic.

He's doing well at the moment but he needs to keep it up and get rid of whatever mental block he has when an easy chance is presented to him.