You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

7 hours ago, aRdja said:

With Salah nearing 30 I reckon it’d be wise to bring someone in soon. I’ve already mentioned Saka’s versatility which would be an added bonus. His output is actually very good for his age. Better than Mane’s and Salah’s at the same age in inferior competitions.

Well, like I said with your fascinations with Maguire and Traore… no ta. He’d cost a fortune and not be worth it. I’d sooner have Nkunku. 

15 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, like I said with your fascinations with Maguire and Traore… no ta. He’d cost a fortune and not be worth it. I’d sooner have Nkunku. 

Maguire and Traore are not relevant to this discussion IMO. Let’s focus on Saka. He has one year left in his contract with an optional one year extension. Therefore in theory we could convince Saka not to extend. That would help reduce his price IMO. I doubt Nkunku would be that much cheaper, and with him as we know, there’s an added layer of risk with him coming straight from Bundesliga.

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Maguire and Traore are not relevant to this discussion IMO. Let’s focus on Saka. He has one year left in his contract with an optional one year extension. Therefore in theory we could convince Saka not to extend. That would help reduce his price IMO. I doubt Nkunku would be that much cheaper, and with him as we know, there’s an added layer of risk with him coming straight from Bundesliga.

Yes. You’ve been peddling that obvious falsehood for years, which is why Maguire and Traore are relevant. I didn’t say Nkuku would be cheaper, I said I’d prefer him. 

16 minutes ago, J-V said:

Which the club will take up.

if at any time there’s a chance of getting either/both Saka or Matinelli I’d hope we’re in the mix.

Ah okay, I thought Saka held the option to extend as opposed to the club. Makes sense. 

23 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes. You’ve been peddling that obvious falsehood for years, which is why Maguire and Traore are relevant. I didn’t say Nkuku would be cheaper, I said I’d prefer him. 

Yeah I haven’t really mentioned either player all much after their big moves to United and Barcelona in fairness. Let’s move on, cos I have, and I cbf to play the “you made a bad transfer call” game. Why do you prefer Nkunku to Saka?

27 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Yeah I haven’t really mentioned either player all much after their big moves to United and Barcelona in fairness. Let’s move on, cos I have, and I cbf to play the “you made a bad transfer call” game. Why do you prefer Nkunku to Saka?

It’s not the ‘you made a bad transfer call’ game, it’s that almost every call you make on transfers is 1) terrible 2) steeped in this silly ‘prem players = less risk’ nonsense. I don’t rate Saka very highly. He looks okay in a montage, the duck-footed weirdo, but the idea of him being the replacement for Salah (let’s not go into ‘bad transfer call’ game on that one, eh?) makes me shudder. He will never be a player like Salah. Salah is a match winner at the highest level. Saka never will be that, in my view. It’s about getting the right horse for the right course. Salah at Chelsea… nope. Salah at Liverpool… yep. Torres at Liverpool (straight from Spain)… yep. Torres at Chelsea… nope. Werner at Chelsea… nope. Werner at Liverpool… yep. Maguire for Hull… yep. For Liverpool… fuck no. Getting the right player in the right system at the right time with the right attitude is way more important than where they come from. That’s why Luis Diaz from Portugal will flourish, it’s why Shaqiri from the Prem didn’t. You need to look beyond the skin deep ‘comes from…’ factor. 

Saka is way, way overrated in my opinion. On top of that, we have a wealth of talent in attacking areas. It just ain’t happening. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s not the ‘you made a bad transfer call’ game, it’s that almost every call you make on transfers is 1) terrible 2) steeped in this silly ‘prem players = less risk’ nonsense. I don’t rate Saka very highly. He looks okay in a montage, the duck-footed weirdo, but the idea of him being the replacement for Salah (let’s not go into ‘bad transfer call’ game on that one, eh?) makes me shudder. He will never be a player like Salah. Salah is a match winner at the highest level. Saka never will be that, in my view. It’s about getting the right horse for the right course. Salah at Chelsea… nope. Salah at Liverpool… yep. Torres at Liverpool (straight from Spain)… yep. Torres at Chelsea… nope. Werner at Chelsea… nope. Werner at Liverpool… yep. Maguire for Hull… yep. For Liverpool… fuck no. Getting the right player in the right system at the right time with the right attitude is way more important than where they come from. That’s why Luis Diaz from Portugal will flourish, it’s why Shaqiri from the Prem didn’t. You need to look beyond the skin deep ‘comes from…’ factor. 

Saka is way, way overrated in my opinion. On top of that, we have a wealth of talent in attacking areas. It just ain’t happening. 

I don’t think that’s fair, none of us are scouts, and we’ve made all made our fair share of bad calls, and if your worst calls became the most expensive defender ever, I’d argue it isn’t really that bad. I remember you making some awful calls as well in the past, but I refuse to stoop to that level and I won’t bring them up because it doesn’t add any value to this discussion regarding Saka. PL suitability is a thing, I didn’t come up with it. Pundits talk about it all the time. Some excellent players couldn’t quite cut it in the league; Crespo, Veron, Di Maria, Litmanen, Kluivert, Falcao, Pogba, etc.  Alright on Saka, he’s Arsenal’s top scorer and 2nd leading assist provider, at 20. You’d struggle to find any player with a better pedigree IMO. Not even Salah and Mane at that age. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Can’t we just loan Gomez out for two years? 

We'll have to be quick, the new international loan regulations being brought in, in July, by FIFA (domestic loan rules have until 2025 to fall in line) will limit loans to a maximum of 1 year.

15 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We'll have to be quick, the new international loan regulations being brought in, in July, by FIFA (domestic loan rules have until 2025 to fall in line) will limit loans to a maximum of 1 year.

bastards. A year then, I'm sure by next summer Matip will be back to poppadum mode. I'd hate Gomez to develop into a world class CB anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think that’s fair, none of us are scouts, and we’ve made all made our fair share of bad calls, and if your worst calls became the most expensive defender ever, I’d argue it isn’t really that bad. I remember you making some awful calls as well in the past, but I refuse to stoop to that level and I won’t bring them up because it doesn’t add any value to this discussion regarding Saka. PL suitability is a thing, I didn’t come up with it. Pundits talk about it all the time. Some excellent players couldn’t quite cut it in the league; Crespo, Veron, Di Maria, Litmanen, Kluivert, Falcao, Pogba, etc.  Alright on Saka, he’s Arsenal’s top scorer and 2nd leading assist provider, at 20. You’d struggle to find any player with a better pedigree IMO. Not even Salah and Mane at that age. 

What a pathetic, alternate-universe you must live in. You could argue that Maguire isn't really that bad a call if you want, and I wouldn't even argue back; I'd just rudely laugh directly in your face because it was be absolutely fucking insane. He is probably the worst transfer business ever done. You wouldn't fucking shut up about him for literally fucking years. That's how obsessed you were with him. 

There's a difference between making two or three bad calls out of hundreds of calls on here over the last 15 years and what you do, which is pretty much a 100% bad call ratio. And yes, players came and flopped. Players also came and were huge successes. You'll never accept it, so I'll just step back and say that you're talking absolute fucking mince. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What a pathetic, alternate-universe you must live in. You could argue that Maguire isn't really that bad a call if you want, and I wouldn't even argue back; I'd just rudely laugh directly in your face because it was be absolutely fucking insane. He is probably the worst transfer business ever done. You wouldn't fucking shut up about him for literally fucking years. That's how obsessed you were with him. 

There's a difference between making two or three bad calls out of hundreds of calls on here over the last 15 years and what you do, which is pretty much a 100% bad call ratio. And yes, players came and flopped. Players also came and were huge successes. You'll never accept it, so I'll just step back and say that you're talking absolute fucking mince. 

Numero, I watched the Arsenal Chelsea game the other night and thought Saka would be an excellent buy, and that’s why I posted what I post. Other posters have agreed with me and you haven’t, and that’s completely fine and I’m happy to discuss the reasons. In fact, that’s all I’ve been trying to do, and you keep making it about me. I have no interest playing oneupmanship with you over transfers. Last thing I want to do in this thread is to start comparing Maguire to Joe Allen for example, it’s childish and annoying and boring for everybody else. I can see you’ve decided to turn nasty over this, so yeah let’s just leave it, and please feel free to put me on ignore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Saka has the benefit of being left footed and English, but I just don’t know if he’ll ever have enough pace, skill and goals.

He’s the kind of player that if you brought him through the youth ranks you’d be delighted, but if you paid £60 million for him, then less so. He is only still 20 though, so could up his end product, but just doesn’t have that vibe for me.

Nkunku is right footed though yeah? No reason we’ll go anywhere near him with Mane, Jota and Diaz already in his position.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

Numero, I watched the Arsenal Chelsea game the other night and thought Saka would be an excellent buy, and that’s why I posted what I post. Other posters have agreed with me and you haven’t, and that’s completely fine and I’m happy to discuss the reasons. In fact, that’s all I’ve been trying to do. I have no interest playing oneupmanship with you over transfers. Last thing I want in this thread is to start comparing Maguire to Joe Allen for example, it’s childish and annoying and boring for everybody else. I can see you’ve decided to turn nasty over this, so yeah let’s just leave it, and please feel free to put me on ignore. 

I've always felt free to do that. I'm more than happy to compare though, if you think there's some 1 to 1 correlation. 

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Saka has the benefit of being left footed and English, but I just don’t know if he’ll ever have enough pace, skill and goals.

He’s the kind of player that if you brought him through the youth ranks you’d be delighted, but if you paid £60 million for him, then less so. He is only still 20 though, so could up his end product, but just doesn’t have that vibe for me.

Nkunku is right footed though yeah? No reason we’ll go anywhere near him with Mane, Jota and Diaz already in his position.

We won't, not unless somebody goes. I'm saying that I'd sooner have him than Saka. He also can play a number of positions, including in attacking midfield. I'm not saying we will go and get him or that it's likely. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I've always felt free to do that. I'm more than happy to compare though, if you think there's some 1 to 1 correlation. 

I don’t, I’m 37, nobody else cares. It’d rather discuss Nkunku or Saka. 

I'd be surprised if we went near any attacking player this summer (assuming none of the main 5 leave).

Salah, Mane, Jota, Firminio, Diaz will be the core 5, Carvalho comes in in the summer, Kaide Gordon will continue to get games and there's no guarantee that Minamino leaves yet,

The main focus will be midfield and shifting out dead wood.

[Sorry I've just repeated what NV has said].

13 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Thank you for bringing the thread back on track.

Saka looks very quick from what I’ve seen at 20 he’s already Arsenal’s top scorer. There’s something to be said about that IMO. Stylistically, Martinelli probably looks a bit more of a Klopp-type forward if I’m honest, but his numbers are nowhere near good enough I remember @3 Stacks mentioning.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'd be surprised if we went near any attacking player this summer (assuming none of the main 5 leave).

Salah, Mane, Jota, Firminio, Diaz will be the core 5, Carvalho comes in in the summer, Kaide Gordon will continue to get games and there's no guarantee that Minamino leaves yet,

The main focus will be midfield and shifting out dead wood.

I’m convinced one of Salah, Mane and Firmino will leave this summer. 

Saka has nice stats at a young age but he looks like a Sancho profile where it's a lot of playmaking, progression and wing play. Not sure he has the striker qualities.

Martinelli just bothers me because Klopp talked about him and so everyone jumped on the bandwagon. He probably will be good, but not yet. Right now it's the thing where he gets credit for running past a couple players and then doing nothing with it.