manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

4 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Why aren’t we looking at Coutinho back? We could definitely get a good deal out of Barca.

Probably the same reason that no top club in Europe is interested in signing him?

Could see him ending up on loan at Everton next season.

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Dropping my trousers for money could earn me about ten quid this summer.

82fcfa7f698183e0a59878bcf071799c63d63967

35 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

United rumoured to be giving Varane about 102 million in wages over the next 5 years. That's close to 400k a week. 

That's only a little more than their reserve goalkeeper gets.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

That's only a little more than their reserve goalkeeper gets.

Matches a 34 year old Cavani methinks. Just a tad more than they were paying Sanchez for years.

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

United rumoured to be giving Varane about 102 million in wages over the next 5 years. That's close to 400k a week. 

Those glazers are tight bastards. Can only see more protests ahead 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Someone had to fill the Alexis Sanchez hole.

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Arsenal linked with Lautaro Martinez. 

That’s a bit like saying I’m interested in Jessica Chastain.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Someone had to fill the Alexis Sanchez hole.

Plenty of people on here were wetting their pants when Sanchez went to United and complaing that we didnt compete for the top players. Let’s hope this one ends the same way. 

They’ve brought in plenty of good players the last few years without the team getting much better. I think that will continue to be the case.

I'm going to make a controversial statement in the transfer thread....

I'm happy with what we have.

I also think we'll be City's main competitior for the league, and we'll go deep in the CL.

Reasons for this?

1. We've got the best (or 2nd best) manager in the league, definitely the best at working without an unlimited budget.

2. We still have the best starting eleven in the league when everyone is fit.

3. The crowds will be back.

4. The ONE area of the field that completely decimated us last year has been repaired and strengthened.

5. Our players and leaders on the field (as well as the manager) will be hungry as fuck to set the record straight.

Also, apart from City, who has better depth than us? Assuming Shaq is leaving, I guess this would be our two best line-ups. I personally prefer Gomez to Matip because of his pace, but as he's been out so long, he'll probably have to wait for his chance.

---------------------Allison----------------------

Trent-------Matip--------Vvd----------Robbo

------------------Fabinho-----------------------

----Henderson-----------Thiago--------------

Salah--------------Firmino-------------Mane

--------------------Kelleher---------------------

Williams-----Gomez----Konate----Tsimikas

--------------------Milner-----------------------

----------Jones------------Keita---------------

----Elliott---------Ox/Origi----------Jota------

I'm comfortable with all the players not in bold playing 10+ league games for us. Ideally we would have kept Gini and sold one of Ox/Keita, as that would have given us fewer days on the treatment table, but all these players know the system well by now, and should be able to contribute when given the chance. 

Nothing to worry about then? Well, I hope that whinging supporters on social media and in the stadium don't take us back to the days when Klopp had to will the supporters to SUPPORT the players from the stands. Hopefully the days of groans and sighs will be replaced with enthusiasm and a belief that Anfield is still a fortress and our players, manager and supporters are "back to normal".

On the field, the usual suspects in black (or whatever colour they are wearing these days) completely fudging up the rules of the game is the only other thing that really worries me.

Let's get behind the boys, and hope for a fast start to our league and CL campaign to get the doubters back on the believe train again!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

We’ve got 4 players who haven’t suffered a long term injury or are injury prone and 2 of them are gonna be missing for a month.

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Sitting still for 2 years will bite us in the backside if we don't do something soon. 

Yeah, if you don't believe in the concept of players improving under (our) coaches' guidance, I can see why people get worked up when no (or few) transfers are made.

I've been advocating this point to most of my fellow supporters of LFC where I live. Without fail, everyone go into panic mode as soon as one of our rivals strengthen their squad. I've been guilty of this many times in the past myself. Why am I so indifferent to the mega-transfers these days? I have total faith in Klopp's (and his coaches) ability to improve the players and the team (also the team spirit/bonding). Look at Jordan HendersonI have to admit, I had completely given up on him, to the point where I advocated his selling (preferring Shelvey instead). Look at what he's achieved under the guidance of Klopp. Look at Andy Robertson, Trent, Salah, Mane. The list goes on.

I think coaching is shockingly underrated in the sporting world. A good set of coaches will make your team good/very good. A great set of coaches - and in particular a coach/leader as charismatic and likeable as Klopp - will work miracles with players that others have given up on.

I will worry when Klopp leaves, I'm completely honest with that (much the same as when Ferguson retired, I was dead certain their domination was over). Until then, I have the utmost confidence that we will be right at the top in both league and CL.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, lebron said:

I'm going to make a controversial statement in the transfer thread....

I'm happy with what we have.

I also think we'll be City's main competitior for the league, and we'll go deep in the CL.

Reasons for this?

1. We've got the best (or 2nd best) manager in the league, definitely the best at working without an unlimited budget.

2. We still have the best starting eleven in the league when everyone is fit.

3. The crowds will be back.

4. The ONE area of the field that completely decimated us last year has been repaired and strengthened.

5. Our players and leaders on the field (as well as the manager) will be hungry as fuck to set the record straight.

Also, apart from City, who has better depth than us? Assuming Shaq is leaving, I guess this would be our two best line-ups. I personally prefer Gomez to Matip because of his pace, but as he's been out so long, he'll probably have to wait for his chance.

---------------------Allison----------------------

Trent-------Matip--------Vvd----------Robbo

------------------Fabinho-----------------------

----Henderson-----------Thiago--------------

Salah--------------Firmino-------------Mane

--------------------Kelleher---------------------

Williams-----Gomez----Konate----Tsimikas

--------------------Milner-----------------------

----------Jones------------Keita---------------

----Elliott---------Ox/Origi----------Jota------

I'm comfortable with all the players not in bold playing 10+ league games for us. Ideally we would have kept Gini and sold one of Ox/Keita, as that would have given us fewer days on the treatment table, but all these players know the system well by now, and should be able to contribute when given the chance. 

Nothing to worry about then? Well, I hope that whinging supporters on social media and in the stadium don't take us back to the days when Klopp had to will the supporters to SUPPORT the players from the stands. Hopefully the days of groans and sighs will be replaced with enthusiasm and a belief that Anfield is still a fortress and our players, manager and supporters are "back to normal".

On the field, the usual suspects in black (or whatever colour they are wearing these days) completely fudging up the rules of the game is the only other thing that really worries me.

Let's get behind the boys, and hope for a fast start to our league and CL campaign to get the doubters back on the believe train again!

I think if we want to just compete for the title, we don't have to do anything. You can say "Let's give Elliott a clear path" and "the numbers in midfield are sufficient" and both those things are fair arguments. We have 7 midfielders which is numerically fine and Elliott could be good enough and could give us a shot in the arm.

But to win what will be a very competitive league and have a chance of winning the Champions League at the same time, we probably need another 35m forward or 35m midfielder, if just to guard against injury. Paradoxically, we have a great squad, but are also a few key injuries away from treading water.

• Upvote 3

Roughly how many matches will Salah and Mane miss due the AFCON ?

As our squad is at the moment it’s jota we’ll be relying on to get goals during that period as Bobby won’t produce numbers as his stats seem to be getting worse every year. 
we’ll probably have Oirgi stinking the place out for us up front in January. 

5 minutes ago, lebron said:

Yeah, if you don't believe in the concept of players improving under (our) coaches' guidance, I can see why people get worked up when no (or few) transfers are made.

I've been advocating this point to most of my fellow supporters of LFC where I live. Without fail, everyone go into panic mode as soon as one of our rivals strengthen their squad. I've been guilty of this many times in the past myself. Why am I so indifferent to the mega-transfers these days? I have total faith in Klopp's (and his coaches) ability to improve the players and the team (also the team spirit/bonding). Look at Jordan HendersonI have to admit, I had completely given up on him, to the point where I advocated his selling (preferring Shelvey instead). Look at what he's achieved under the guidance of Klopp. Look at Andy Robertson, Trent, Salah, Mane. The list goes on.

I think coaching is shockingly underrated in the sporting world. A good set of coaches will make your team good/very good. A great set of coaches - and in particular a coach/leader as charismatic and likeable as Klopp - will work miracles with players that others have given up on.

I will worry when Klopp leaves, I'm completely honest with that (much the same as when Ferguson retired, I was dead certain their domination was over). Until then, I have the utmost confidence that we will be right at the top in both league and CL.

It's not about big transfers or making them for the sake of it. We have not competed domestically for cups because FSG don't give a shit about them and won't give him a squad good enough to make a run. And there is little doubt at times the lack of depth has cost us points. I'm not shouting for Sancho on 300 grand a week and a 70ml fee but a bench better than Shaqiri,Origi is a must. Its not helped by having only one midfielder capable of playimg most games in a season now with Hendo,Thiago,Keita,Ox not exactly being the types to 38 games a year, same with Milner with his age,

XI vs XI we are as good as anyone but one or two injuries and we struggle to fill the places and throw enough quality into a squad and the mancs will take another step forward as have Chelsea. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We’ve got 4 players who haven’t suffered a long term injury or are injury prone and 2 of them are gonna be missing for a month.

I think long term injury and injury proneness are terms that are going to be looked upon differently under the ever-revolving football calendar. What you'll have is physical freaks like Salah, Ronaldo, Mane that are able to play more or less throughout the year. Most other athletes' bodies are eventually going to succumb to fatigue and injuries that last for 6-8 weeks. The difference is how quickly they are able to recover from said injuries.

In our squad I'd say these are players more susceptible to injuries than what is "normal":

Keita, Ox, Matip - these have all suffered minor injuries that take abnormally long time to heal.

I'll place Gomez in the unlucky category, even if I know people think he's injury prone. All his major injuries are impact injuries apart from the last one, and even there the waters seem a bit muddled.

If you look across the other clubs in the league, they all have the same problem with the congested fixture list. Players get injured. That's it. The only way to circumvent this is by paying obscene amounts of money to world class reserves in every position (aka City). That's just not doable if you're not cheating and/or cooking the books. I'll make a possible exception for Utd, even if I think they are treading a thin line in regards to how much they're spending on wages over the next couple of years (they'll probably have to sell Pogba).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Roughly how many matches will Salah and Mane miss due the AFCON ?

As our squad is at the moment it’s jota we’ll be relying on to get goals during that period as Bobby won’t produce numbers as his stats seem to be getting worse every year. 
we’ll probably have Oirgi stinking the place out for us up front in January. 

2 League games, they will be back 3 days before Leicester if they make the final

Palace away and Brentford at home

They also miss the FA Cup 3/4th rounds and we have the weeks break in that period

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

It's not about big transfers or making them for the sake of it. We have not competed domestically for cups because FSG don't give a shit about them and won't give him a squad good enough to make a run. And there is little doubt at times the lack of depth has cost us points. I'm not shouting for Sancho on 300 grand a week and a 70ml fee but a bench better than Shaqiri,Origi is a must. Its not helped by having only one midfielder capable of playimg most games in a season now with Hendo,Thiago,Keita,Ox not exactly being the types to 38 games a year, same with Milner with his age,

XI vs XI we are as good as anyone but one or two injuries and we struggle to fill the places and throw enough quality into a squad and the mancs will take another step forward as have Chelsea. 

I honestly don't think Jurgen wants to work with a squad that big. I think he sees having 22 full internationals as a conundrum more than he welcomes it. I'll also gladly sacrifice our cup runs (like all other managers than Guardiola are doing) to compete for the big two. Unless you pay silly money to keep the bench-warmers happy, you'll be stuck with quite a few unhappy players if you keep playing settled sides like Klopp likes.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if we want to just compete for the title, we don't have to do anything. You can say "Let's give Elliott a clear path" and "the numbers in midfield are sufficient" and both those things are fair arguments. We have 7 midfielders which is numerically fine and Elliott could be good enough and could give us a shot in the arm.

But to win in what will be a very competitive league and have a chance of winning the Champions League at the same time, we probably need another 35m forward or 35m midfielder, if just to guard against injury. Paradoxically, we have a great squad, but are also a few key injuries away from treading water.

I don't think it'll be that competitive....

Us and City will pass the 90 pt mark. The others will languish 12-15 pts behind.

• Upvote 1