You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

We could do a lot worse than bringing Bamford in. He’s English, a really good footballer; has a lovely touch, he’s quick, holds the ball up really well. Most importantly he’s a proven success in the league.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We could do a lot worse than bringing Bamford in. He’s English, a really good footballer; has a lovely touch, he’s quick, holds the ball up really well. Most importantly he’s a proven success in the league.

Leeds fans I know think he's shit.

This is a great interview. Gives us an insight into his mindset on the pitch and it’s exactly what we’ve been missing.

Memorable quotes:

“I said to Jack, put it in between the centre halfs and I’ll always try and get in between that gap”.

“I’m a wingers worst nightmare on the pitch, always shouting to give me every ball”. Shearer agrees.

“You kind of know where you are on the pitch, where to hit it, you don’t really have to look at the goal too much”.

“He (Jack Harrison) was in a position where there was only one place he could put it across, and I just gambled”.

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

That’s nonsense. He’s their best player.

He’s a slave to the system. Take Bielsa away and he goes back to mediocrity. He even says he was a bit lazy before Bielsa came along. I like him but he’s Rickie Lambert minus 5 years.

I hate articles like that one in the Echo, which attribute something that any club could do (sign a player on a free) as an example of the creative thinking of Edwards and our scouting department. They just list players who could be available without considering whether such a player could be effective in our team or with the physically of the game in this country, and without considering that a free transfer comes with the hefty cost of a massive signing-on fee and bumper contract, even for less-than-elite players. See Milan Jovanovic as a case in point. If he'd joined us for a fee, there is no way he could have commanded the sort of earnings he got from us as a free transfer.

When it is heavily publicised that a club won't compete at the very top end of the market, players and especially their agents will take note of this as they'll either see a club that can give them a huge increase in their current salary, or they'll see a club that can't compete for the elite players and be genuine contenders for the biggest prizes.

I don't want our club to be portrayed as arrogant greedy bastards like Real Madrid and Barcelona, but I also don't want the club to be seen as Sevilla, hanging on to a Champions League spot and maybe winning a trophy every now and then with players that are cast-offs and 'bargains'. You can have success that way of course, but it is not the most sustainable approach.

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Vlahovic is 21 and has scored 21 in Serie A this season. That's certainly hard to ignore.

Liverpool-Italian striker-anyone who has played in Italian league (including ince excluding rush) in the same sentence it's a no from me, and I have heard of player.  

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Liverpool-Italian striker-anyone who has played in Italian league (including ince excluding rush) in the same sentence it's a no from me, and I have heard of player.  

No Italians 

No Ukrainians

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The transfer request article comes from Duncan Castles. The Brighton guy at the Athletic said it's not true. 

Why hand in a request now? Wait until the season finishes, otherwise it makes you look like a twat.

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Talk that Sander Berge has a relegation clause of around £39m , weren't we interested in this lad.

£39m??? That’d be a bigger con job than the one we pulled on them with Brewster.

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Talk that Sander Berge has a relegation clause of around £39m , weren't we interested in this lad.

According to paper talk, yes. He was talked about as a replacement for when Wijnaldum ships out.

Pictures I saw of him, he looked to be carrying a bit of timber.

17 hours ago, aRdja said:

You're really Dave and I claim my free 3 months membership!

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Leeds fans I know think he's shit.

Surprised. But he has been a bit of a journeyman. Didnt he start out at chelsea, get loaned out a few times, joined the smoggies and others?

Not sure we should be looking at him to be honest based on him having an admittedly good season in the PL.

Comms yesterday mentioned that Oxlade has not played 90 mins for us for over 3 years.

Our number 1 priority this summer has to be getting rid of him and the other permacrocks that litter our squad taking up big wages and space in our squad and adding nothing/not being able to be relied upon when needed, and meaning we constantly have to flog the same small number of players to death, and bringing in players who can stay fit, contribute when needed and offer us the depth we desperately need and have been found wanting for this season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, an tha said:

Comms yesterday mentioned that Oxlade has not played 90 mins for us for over 3 years.

Our number 1 priority this summer has to be getting rid of him and the other permacrocks that litter our squad taking up big wages and space in our squad and adding nothing/not being able to be relied upon when needed, and meaning we constantly have to flog the same small number of players to death, and bringing in players who can stay fit, contribute when needed and offer us the depth we desperately need and have been found wanting for this season.

Good lad though.