You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (H) League Cup - 1/10/20 - 19:45

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Don’t think it’s being trophy snobs I’ve loved our League Cup wins I’ve even been to three of them . I actually think Klopp has taken it more serious than he as in the past this year with the picking of Van Djik and Salah 

Maybe if he had taken the FA Cup and League Cups more serious in the past he might have won a couple but he in doing so he might not have got top four in 2017 and everything that has followed on since resulting in the title but I guess we’ll never know .

In the past, as now, he was using the resources available to him; it's just that now he has much better resources.  Nobody is denying that this trophy is the fourth on the list of priorities, but it's still a real trophy.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In the past, as now, he was using the resources available to him; it's just that now he has much better resources.  Nobody is denying that this trophy is the fourth on the list of priorities, but it's still a real trophy.

Yeah but you and others are expecting him to use his 'elite' players in the 4th priority competition presumably while all the other clubs, including 2 clubs who havent won a trophy in 25 and 51 years field weakened teams themselves?

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say he deliberately loses. But yeah, he's not arsed, don't know what to tell you. He played a kid in defense with one game against Lincoln and a midfield of Jones, Grujic and Wilson. I repeat, Jones, Grujic and Wilson. He patently doesn't rate two of those. Why did we even need to do that? We're in the beginning of a season. A season that started with a 5 month break. 

Maybe he knows Jones, Grujic and Wilson better than you do.  Just a thought, like.  The fact is that the side he put out today were only denied a win by a string of excellent saves from Arsenal's first-choice keeper.

You say you "don't know what to tell me" - I've already told you what to tell me.  Tell me which cup tie we have lost because Klopp deliberately put out a team that wasn't good enough to win (when better players were available) and you'll persuade me that he's not arsed.  

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Maybe he knows Jones, Grujic and Wilson better than you do.  Just a thought, like.  The fact is that the side he put out today were only denied a win by a string of excellent saves from Arsenal's first-choice keeper.

You say you "don't know what to tell me" - I've already told you what to tell me.  Tell me which cup tie we have lost because Klopp deliberately put out a team that wasn't good enough to win (when better players were available) and you'll persuade me that he's not arsed.  

If he really wanted to win the League Cup, he'd play close to the strongest team, but he doesn't do that. I don't need to point out specific games, it's all of them. 

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

People keep mentioning city won a domestic treble so why cant we give the domestic cups more of a go. Fuck me, are people forgetting how they moaned at the money city have spent and the 'easy' draws they have had in the same domestic cups these last few years?

Jurgen got us to the League cup final in his first year. It's bollocks to suggest he doesnt care. Neither are we trophy snobs (sorry mate, you used the phrase), every team in England puts out weaked sides in these cups.

The bit about "trophy snobs" wasn't about us using fringe players at this stage.  (Nothing wrong with that.  Like you say, everyone does it.)  It was aimed at the people on here who are giving all the "I'm glad we lost. We shouldn't dirty our hands with such a piffling little trophy anyway."

I mentioned City's domestic treble in response to a comment that the days of anyone winning three trophies in a season are long gone.  They're clearly not, because... well, someone won three trophies in a season.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

The reasons for resting the first team in the league cup is obvious. More or less every PL team is doing it. 

Yes, because it means very little. The winner is whoever is arsed to put their best players out there or whoever has the deepest squad. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

The bit about "trophy snobs" wasn't about us using fringe players at this stage.  (Nothing wrong with that.  Like you say, everyone does it.)  It was aimed at the people on here who are giving all the "I'm glad we lost. We shouldn't dirty our hands with such a piffling little trophy anyway."

I mentioned City's domestic treble in response to a comment that the days of anyone winning three trophies in a season are long gone.  They're clearly not, because... well, someone won three trophies in a season.

Fair enough bud. Was just engaging with you in debate not argument.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If he really wanted to win the League Cup, he'd play close to the strongest team, but he doesn't do that. I don't need to point out specific games, it's all of them. 

Cobblers.

You can't point to a game that we've won and say "We obviously weren't arsed about winning that."  You can't even say that about games that were level at 90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Cobblers.

You can't point to a game that we've won and say "We obviously weren't arsed about winning that."

Was he mega interested in winning the Arsenal game last year knowing if we did he'd have to play the u18's against Villa when the rest of the team would be in Qatar? Meh. 

While we remained in it, Klopp and the club were interested in winning it, with all the provisos that go with it, i.e. giving young and fringe players much needed playing time. Now that we're out, he, and they, are not going to be heartbroken. On both occasions we've recently lost out to Arsenal, they've been on the lottery of pens after we've dominated the games with a mixed team. No disgrace.

In between, on Monday night, when the chips were down, we played our first choice players, dominated the game, and took the 3 points we were expected to take, hopefully on our way to another league title, that Arsenal can't even dream about, so far are they behind. Witnessed by their Champions League worthy celebrations of the Community Shield.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Was he mega interested in winning the Arsenal game last year knowing if we did he'd have to play the u18's against Villa when the rest of the team would be in Qatar? Meh. 

The game we won?

The game we won, because he put out a team strong enough to win it, even though he knew there was precious little chance of progressing beyond the next round?

That's your best evidence of him not being arsed whether we win?

15 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

While we remained in it, Klopp and the club were interested in winning it, with all the provisos that go with it, i.e. giving young and fringe players much needed playing time. Now that we're out, he, and they, are not going to be heartbroken.

I'm not sure why Grinch finds this so hard to accept. 

The team selected was good enough to win and played well enough to win but didn't quite make it because their keeper had a great game and Div was too casual with his penalty.  We definitely wanted to go through but not at the expense of risking our bigger priorities. 

• Upvote 2

Created enough chances...at least better than arse... to win the game. But have only ourselves to blame. We should have played with Allison in goal when we knew that pens were a real possibility. (Leno made thew difference at the end of the day).

If anything, though, this game has shown us that a) Grujic is a dynamic option from the bench, so worth keeping, b) Neco won't make it in the first team only because of his lack of pace, an attribute that cannot be acquired, c) the Rhys kid is a revelation (to me) and should save us a lot of money buying a center half and d) Jota is slotting in seamlessly in the frontline and be a monster of a player for us.  

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The game we won?

The game we won, because he put out a team strong enough to win it, even though he knew there was precious little chance of progressing beyond the next round?

That's your best evidence of him not being arsed whether we win?

Didn't you ask me to find you a game we won? I don't get what you're saying. Klopp has moaned for years there are too many games, the League Cup is something that bloats the schedule and he plays lesser teams in it. So yeah, I think it's fair to assume he doesn't care that much, especially in a fucked up year. I don't know why that's controversial. Yeah, he'd like to win it on his terms by playing weaker teams, no he's not mad if we get knocked out at this stage. 

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Feel sorry for Wilson waited years for his first start and it and his career at LIverpool ends like that.

Why? He’ll be gone by the end of the transfer window. And he didn’t show anything last night to make us think that would be the wrong decision.  Grujic is also transfer listed but showed that he’s actually a really good midfielder who’d probably be worth keeping if we didn’t have an abundance of riches there.

17 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Why? He’ll be gone by the end of the transfer window. And he didn’t show anything last night to make us think that would be the wrong decision.  Grujic is also transfer listed but showed that he’s actually a really good midfielder who’d probably be worth keeping if we didn’t have an abundance of riches there.

Was certainly an accomplished performance from him. Won a lot of his duels and his technique looked quite polished. A bit of Declan Rice about him.

6 hours ago, therevivalist said:

Created enough chances...at least better than arse... to win the game. But have only ourselves to blame. We should have played with Allison in goal when we knew that pens were a real possibility. (Leno made thew difference at the end of the day).

If anything, though, this game has shown us that a) Grujic is a dynamic option from the bench, so worth keeping, b) Neco won't make it in the first team only because of his lack of pace, an attribute that cannot be acquired, c) the Rhys kid is a revelation (to me) and should save us a lot of money buying a center half and d) Jota is slotting in seamlessly in the frontline and be a monster of a player for us.  

Neco does not have a lack of pace.

We should have won in normal time alas shit finishing and their keeper put paid to that.

Gomez and Gini had nothing to do when they came on.  Grujic, Williams & Williams, VVD, Adrian played well the rest were meh/shite.

1 minute ago, J-V said:

Neco does not have a lack of pace.

We should have won in normal time alas shit finishing and their keeper put paid to that.

Gomez and Gino had nothing to do when they came on.  Grujic, Williams & Williams, VVD, Adrian played well the rest were meh/shite.

Agreed. It's not his pace which needs work, it's his positioning an anticipation. Pepe and Saka had him on toast in the first half but on the second he wised up and they didn't get much change out of him. 

I don't think he's going to be a Trent but might be a Clyne and a good back up RB