You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet: I look to help the team in the best way I can

tlw content

They say you have to be a unique kind of character to be a goalkeeper as there is nowhere to hide. Quite often you can be the hero and the villain in the same 90 minutes of action. 

If you think that is a tough predicament to be in, then spare a thought about the status of a number two keeper like Simon Mignolet. 

While the weekly wages are adequate consolation, the competitive instincts of a Footballer dictates that its only natural that you want to be out on the playing arena with your teammates sharing the highs and lows.

You may only play a handful of games throughout a nine month season, but while you may not step onto the playing arena too often, your focus must remain razor sharp and your attitude needs to be at a top level as any negativity can bring down the morale of the whole squad. 

Mignolet only played two cup games during last season, however his attitude was widely hailed by Jurgen Klopp and fellow squad members alike.

Speaking to the Official site, Mignolet was thankful for those kind words.

“First and foremost, you [only] get praise when it’s due.

"I’m happy with the fact they saw it. I’m not after it. But it’s nice for them to say it, they don’t have to do that.

"The only thing I can do is help the team in the best way I can; if they then see that and praise me about it, so for the better. 

"The most important thing is that the team wins games and wins trophies, that’s what we did last year and we’re very pleased with that.

"Hopefully all the work we do again in pre-season will help the team and the club along the line to win more trophies, because in the end that’s why you’re paid to be a football player and that’s what your job is.

" That’s what I try to do – I try to do my best in the best way I can because that’s what I’m paid for, that’s what my job is and that’s what I always will do.”

From firmly being on the periphery, Mignolet will be once again 'the main man' during the Reds pre-season tour to the US with a number of goalkeepers either injured, on loan or in the case of Alisson, having a well overdue holiday after being  a member of Brazil's victorious Copa America squad.

So as a senior member of the Reds squad, Mignolet will look to set the standard, for his keeping companions which include Academy member Daniel Atherton and veteran free-agent Andy Longeran who has been drafted in for the tour.

Mignolet is looking forward to lead from the front.

Simon-Mignolet-774174.jpg

"In this squad at this moment there are a few players not there, there aren’t many who are very experienced in pre-season.

"It’s about being at the highest level every day of your life, not only when you’re on the pitch but also off it. 

"We’ve got a few young ‘keepers now. Andy has joined in to train with us and he is experienced as well, so he will help me in that sense.

"The young boys will see what it is to live and work your life as a professional footballer. 

"I’ve done it all over my career and I will keep doing that. The only thing you can do is be professional and do your job the best you can.”

The 31 year-old is also enjoying the feeling of playing in a professional setting on a continuous basis.

“Over the off season you try to keep yourself fit and especially in our position you make sure you keep a certain basis,

"And, first and foremost, that you don’t get injured when you get back. I’ve had luck with injuries over my career, I haven’t had many.

"As a ‘keeper you can easily play 90 minutes when you come straight back in. I only had to play 45 minutes against Tranmere. 

"But for me, I haven’t been playing very often, it’s nice to have some minutes under my belt and to play games. That’s a good thing.

"I’ve only been here four days and I’ve already played one 45 minutes and then 80 minutes.

"That’s why you’re a football player, that’s what I enjoy.”

The Belgian says the squad have the taste for silverware after last season's Champions League victory and they want to build on that.

"With the celebrations afterwards, everybody knows, everybody saw and felt what it was.

"We’re now even more hungry to experience that again. And we have the experience once you’re at that level to deal with the occasion when it comes along.

"It can be a really exciting season for us and hopefully we can get some silverware again, just like we did last year.”

View full article