You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Music Photos

Bjornebye

On 12/01/2020 at 09:07, VladimirIlyich said:

Great guitarist though. Rainbow were fantastic too.

My favourite guitarist.

The guitar smashing routine was usually done using cheap copies, he would run off stage just before the urge took over, take off the proper Strat with its steel truss rods, custom fretboard  etc etc  then come back on and smash up the one he had bought on.

When Rainbow played Deeside Leisure Centre in 1980 I was in a car sharing a lift home and one of the lads was being a bit furtive hiding something up his leather jacket, when we got a safe distance away he pulled out a bit of the smashed up guitar that had been thrown into the crowd. 

He wouldnt give me a bit.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Got her greatest hits on vinyl. Had it on on Saturday. Superb. 

I had a few years ago, The Holding Company, album cover with a cartoon thing, must get Pearl. 

The mate Sammy said he read a book by this bird at that time in late 60s, she said what's not to like here in San Francisco, I hang out, free drugs and lick Janis out. 

Yeah love Janis. 

Imagine one of these dreadful girl bands knocking round with her for a few days, or boy band for that matter. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

One for the "better than the original" thread is her version of Tupelo Honey.

Really never heard or knew she covered it, she must of died not long after then, I always thought Van Morrison recorded that about 72, Hard Nose the Highway? a cracking album which I'm sure Tupelo Honey is from or did someone do it previously? Great track anyway. 

3 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Really never heard or knew she covered it, she must of died not long after then, I always thought Van Morrison recorded that about 72, Hard Nose the Highway? a cracking album which I'm sure Tupelo Honey is from or did someone do it previously? Great track anyway. 

Tupelo Honey is from the album of the same name.

As far as I'm aware Van Morrison wrote it, I've not heard the Dusty Springfield version.

*goes off to listen to it

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Tupelo Honey is from the album of the same name.

As far as I'm aware Van Morrison wrote it, I've not heard the Dusty Springfield version.

*goes off to listen to it

Righto, I was getting mixed up there when AOT mentioned it, I though he meant Janis Joplin hence being puzzled of when she died and when Tupelo Honey was recorded, no not heard Dusty's but I reckon it would be good. I used to like Nils Lofgrens cover of I Think I'm Going Back but prefer the original now. 

I think Tupelo Honey could be on my agenda now. 

• Upvote 1