You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Homeless Problem

Bjornebye

Just now, TK421 said:

It shouldn't be up to Landlords to "provide fairer tenancies".  It should not be their choice.  It needs statutory regulation, similar to how it's done in Germany.  

I'm not entertaining the second paragraph because you're just putting word salads in my mouth.

I agree with the first paragraph here, no problem with it at all. Its not part of the argument.

Just now, A Red said:

I agree with the first paragraph here, no problem with it at all. Its not part of the argument.

Of course it's part of the argument.  Security of tenure makes it harder for Landlords to evict non-paying tenants, that's just a fact.  Fewer evictions = fewer homeless people.  Fact. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

In what way does paying rent directly to landlords ease poverty? All it does is remove choice from the tenant.  

It doesn’t ease or solve the situation. 

But speak to any housing/homeless/mental health charity and they’ll tell you the government made the situation worse by stopping paying housing benefit directly to landlords without putting any other support in place.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

In what way does paying rent directly to landlords ease poverty? All it does is remove choice from the tenant.  

How does giving a tenant choice over whether they pay their rent or not ease poverty? Its still got to be fucking paid!

I've already explained to you the benefit of paying the bills direct

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

It doesn’t ease or solve the situation. 

But speak to any housing/homeless/mental health charity and they’ll tell you the government made the situation worse by stopping paying housing benefit directly to landlords without putting any other support in place.  

That's looking at it purely from the charity's perspective, though.  I've no doubt that it made their lives harder, for the tenants themselves it makes no difference. 

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Of course it's part of the argument.  Security of tenure makes it harder for Landlords to evict non-paying tenants, that's just a fact.  Fewer evictions = fewer homeless people.  Fact. 

There will be absolutely private no landlords (what you want) if the tenancy agreement doesnt allow them to evict tenants for not paying. Fucking hell

2 minutes ago, A Red said:

How does giving a tenant choice over whether they pay their rent or not ease poverty? Its still got to be fucking paid!

I've already explained to you the benefit of paying the bills direct

It gives them more choice and flexibility over their personal finances.

We're in the UK here, dickhead.  Nice try, though. 

Yea, you're probably right - discussing a societal issue - then pointing to a solution, and acknowledging where it comes from when pointing that out is probably not going to help ENGLAND.

#toobigforeurope

Just now, TK421 said:

It gives them more choice and flexibility over their personal finances.

Its already been explained to you, not just by me, that there are many people, for whatever reason, who are simply unable to make sensible decisions over their personal finances. Often these people end up in deeper poverty because of this. I am not advocating taking away all their spending choices, just making it easier for them to make the ones that avoid homelessness.

You have no fucking clue. 

24 minutes ago, A Red said:

There will be absolutely private no landlords (what you want) if the tenancy agreement doesnt allow them to evict tenants for not paying. Fucking hell

Please stop putting words in my mouth with this "what you want" bullshit.  You're misrepresenting my position. 

Landlords should be allowed to take action for recovery of rent arrears and in severe cases should be allowed to recover possession of the property.  I'm not disputing that.  However, there needs to be an urgent review of housing/landlord & tenant law in order to provide better security of tenure for residential properties privately rented out.  As things stand, matters are weighed far too heavily in the Landlord's favour.  

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, you're probably right - discussing a societal issue - then pointing to a solution, and acknowledging where it comes from when pointing that out is probably not going to help ENGLAND.

#toobigforeurope

Haha.  You've made a right cunt of yourself.  Section 8, hahaha. Hah. 

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Its already been explained to you, not just by me, that there are many people, for whatever reason, who are simply unable to make sensible decisions over their personal finances. Often these people end up in deeper poverty because of this. I am not advocating taking away all their spending choices, just making it easier for them to make the ones that avoid homelessness.

You have no fucking clue. 

Aaaaand we're back into Maggie territory. 

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Please stop putting words in my mouth with this "what you want" bullshit.  You're misrepresenting my position. 

Landlords should be allowed to take action for recovery of rent arrears and in severe cases should be allowed to recover possession of the property.  I'm not disputing that.  However, there needs to be an urgent review of housing/landlord & tenant law in order to provide better of security of tenure for residential properties privately rented out.  As things stand, matters are weighed far too heavily in the Landlord's favour.  

I am purely going by what you said. You said you wanted to get rid of all landlords, you said it.

Now you are blathering on about fairer tenancies, I agree, no problem.

The bit you are missing is it wont stop evictions, you said it yourself. Plenty of poor uneducated people will end up homeless because they will not pay their rent, however fair the tenancy is.

Aaaaand we're back into Maggie territory. 

Do you advocate that people in receipt of free council rent or free council tax should be given the money first so that they have the personal choice as to whether to pay it? Or is them not seeing the money maggie territory?

Just now, A Red said:

I am purely going by what you said. You said you wanted to get rid of all landlords, you said it.

My God, you're painfully, painfully fucking stupid.  I said I wanted to reduce their numbers, not get rid of them. Obviously it would be impractical to get rid of them all.  

16 minutes ago, TK421 said:

That's looking at it purely from the charity's perspective, though.  I've no doubt that it made their lives harder, for the tenants themselves it makes no difference. 

Yes it does make a difference! 

They can build up debts they’re then charged interest on.  

Just now, A Red said:

Do you advocate that people in receipt of free council rent or free council tax should be given the money first so that they have the personal choice as to whether to pay it? Or is them not seeing the money maggie territory?

Yes, they should be given the money directly in a properly regulated rental market where rents are controlled.  Make rents affordable and the rest will follow.  Is that okay with you, Adolf?

45 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't think private landlords should provide free accommodation.  I do think they should be heavily taxed, along with other appropriate measures to disincentivise them, so that they don't want to become landlords in the first place.  Additionally, tenancies should be regulated to provide fixed rents in the medium term and security of tenure.  This would bring the dual benefit of (a) reducing homelessness and (b) enabling young people to save deposits to enable them to get on the property ladder.