You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are Ocean Colour Scene Terrible?

Bruce Spanner

32 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Saw them last night, what they actually played was great but came away feeling massively ripped off. 

A shit support act followed by them playing for just over an hour. 

Not impressed at all. 

Was Simon bladdered? The last time I saw them he was off his tits and could barely stand. Defo noticed him pop a bit of powder to get himself level.

4 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Was Simon bladdered? The last time I saw them he was off his tits and could barely stand. Defo noticed him pop a bit of powder to get himself level.

The weight he’s put on he looks like he’s stopped doing gear. 

The actual music was class, it was just taking the piss how little there was of it and the bar closing at 9:30 almost caused a riot. 

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Brilliant band. Another of those really good bands from the 90's that got ignored too much because of the whole Oasis/Blur things. See also Cast, The Verve, The Charlatans, The Lightning Seeds, Supergrass, Space etc 

Space were a bit shit, certainly not in the same league as some of the others you have mentioned.

Seen all of them live back in the day.

18 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Space were a bit shit, certainly not in the same league as some of the others you have mentioned.

The problem with Space is they released shitter songs than their best. Space were (are) brilliant. I bumped into @Liverpool lad last time I saw them. And Tommy Scott 

8E88DFA7-422B-4E78-B354-E463A3BD3975.jpeg

24 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Not my cup of tea in the main but … I first met you hanging knickers on the line from that moment on is great opening line. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Brilliant band. Another of those really good bands from the 90's that got ignored too much because of the whole Oasis/Blur things. See also Cast, The Verve, The Charlatans, The Lightning Seeds, Supergrass, Space etc 

I wouldn't really say the bolded were ignored or overlooked. The Verve had a multi-million selling album and multiple top ten singles with Urban Hymns, then split up because Ashcroft's a dickhead. The Charlatans had several number 1 albums from 1990 onward, and probably peaked around 2000. Supergrass had five top ten albums from the mid-90s to the mid-2000s- their record company initially tried to market them as a teeny band (I think there were discussions about a Monkees-style TV series at one point, which was quickly dismissed). All their most successful periods were when Oasis were at their pomp.

I always found Cast to be a bit dull but they still had top ten albums and loads of top ten singles during the mid to late-90s, Space too.

The main difference with Oasis- The Verve aside- was that they never made it big in the US. But there again, neither did Blur really.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I wouldn't really say the bolded were ignored or overlooked. The Verve had a multi-million selling album and multiple top ten singles with Urban Hymns, then split up because Ashcroft's a dickhead. The Charlatans had several number 1 albums from 1990 onward, and probably peaked around 2000. Supergrass had five top ten albums from the mid-90s to the mid-2000s- their record company initially tried to market them as a teeny band (I think there were discussions about a Monkees-style TV series at one point, which was quickly dismissed). All their most successful periods were when Oasis were at their pomp.

I always found Cast to be a bit dull but they still had top ten albums and loads of top ten singles during the mid to late-90s, Space too.

The main difference with Oasis- The Verve aside- was that they never made it big in the US. But there again, neither did Blur really.

That's my point. I watched Oasis at Finsbury Park in 2002 and The Charlatans were supporting them. 

Oasis, Blur and Pulp (Possibly Suede but earlier) dominated the 90's. The Verve should have reached a peak but didn't. 

I know most on here don't like oasis but they were without a doubt the best band this country has seen since The Beatles. Not just their music but that whole thing. They released an album of b-sides that was better than anything in the 90's except Nevermind and All Eyez On Me. That's after Definitely Maybe which in my opinion is the best album of all time. 

*incoming 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

That's my point. I watched Oasis at Finsbury Park in 2002 and The Charlatans were supporting them. 

Oasis, Blur and Pulp (Possibly Suede but earlier) dominated the 90's. The Verve should have reached a peak but didn't. 

I know most on here don't like oasis but they were without a doubt the best band this country has seen since The Beatles. Not just their music but that whole thing. They released an album of b-sides that was better than anything in the 90's except Nevermind and All Eyez On Me. That's after Definitely Maybe which in my opinion is the best album of all time. 

*incoming 

I rate the way you are prepared to die on that hill, respect.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Never change Stig.

Mate, I love you. I've got drunk with you. But your taste in music is decent, it's the bands you moan about that ruin you. 

1 hour ago, Raymond Duck said:

I rate the way you are prepared to die on that hill, respect.

Is right. 

On 05/12/2023 at 18:04, Bjornebye said:

The problem with Space is they released shitter songs than their best. Space were (are) brilliant. I bumped into @Liverpool lad last time I saw them. And Tommy Scott 

8E88DFA7-422B-4E78-B354-E463A3BD3975.jpeg

Boss band

I went to see their 25th anniversary tour. Think it was Spiders or Tin Planet

It was good to see a crowd there and the night was boss. Their old stuff won't be topped

• Upvote 1