You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hades, on 23 Jul 2017 - 2:06 PM, said:snapback.png

I've come back from the future to tell you we didnt' sign Keita or Van Dijk.

I've just come back from the further future to tell you we have signed them

I've just come back from halfway between where you both went and the threads for both players between the two timelines got completely insane with the "will they/won't they" narrative. Glad to see it will be resolved.

Knowing our approach to transfers a number 10

Pre-Klopp, that would have been a more than fair assessment. After all, the people in charge of transfers back then believed Balotelli to be a suitable replacement for Suarez. Since Klopp came in, he soon identified that the team needed a goalscoring threat who played in one of the wide roles in the front 3 (Sterling had been sold a few months before Klopp took over from Rodgers). Moves for Teixeira and Gotze fell through so he went with Mane. When he wanted a box-to-box midfielder, he looked at both Dahoud and Zielinski before deciding to move for the more expensive and more experienced Gini Wijnaldum. To me it suggests that the rationale behind player targets has been tightened up because the alternatives aren't vastly different to the primary targets. The other issues with the club's transfer strategy (blatant lowballing, blabbing to the press before even making an official bid, closing deals with the minimum of fuss) are all still in the early stages of being rectified.

I'll admit I haven't seen that much of Keita but some of the clips show him to be a real dynamo with shades of Gerrard in some aspects of his play. People take the piss out of Pogba for many reasons (there are many reasons it is justified, what with his ego and all those shit haircuts and emojis for example) and a lot reckon he is overrated, but he is capable of being a midfield dynamo in a similar vein to Gerrard too. Don't laugh, as there have been glimpses of it with Juventus, with France and even on the odd occasion with the Mancs. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other players in a similar mold though I imagine Klopp has a fair idea. He is one of those coaches who can get more out of players by deploying them out-of-position or finding a different use for them out on the pitch, so his judgement is one I would listen to.

• Upvote 4

Pre-Klopp, that would have been a more than fair assessment. After all, the people in charge of transfers back then believed Balotelli to be a suitable replacement for Suarez. Since Klopp came in, he soon identified that the team needed a goalscoring threat who played in one of the wide roles in the front 3 (Sterling had been sold a few months before Klopp took over from Rodgers). Moves for Teixeira and Gotze fell through so he went with Mane. When he wanted a box-to-box midfielder, he looked at both Dahoud and Zielinski before deciding to move for the more expensive and more experienced Gini Wijnaldum. To me it suggests that the rationale behind player targets has been tightened up because the alternatives aren't vastly different to the primary targets. The other issues with the club's transfer strategy (blatant lowballing, blabbing to the press before even making an official bid, closing deals with the minimum of fuss) are all still in the early stages of being rectified.

I'll admit I haven't seen that much of Keita but some of the clips show him to be a real dynamo with shades of Gerrard in some aspects of his play. People take the piss out of Pogba for many reasons (there are many reasons it is justified, what with his ego and all those shit haircuts and emojis for example) and a lot reckon he is overrated, but he is capable of being a midfield dynamo in a similar vein to Gerrard too. Don't laugh, as there have been glimpses of it with Juventus, with France and even on the odd occasion with the Mancs. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other players in a similar mold though I imagine Klopp has a fair idea. He is one of those coaches who can get more out of players by deploying them out-of-position or finding a different use for them out on the pitch, so his judgement is one I would listen to.

I've said all along that Pogba would be unreal in a Klopp team, thankfully for us he plays for the most negative snide bastard footballs ever seen and doesn't know how to use him. Pogba has basically everything to become the best midfielder in the world, he won't under Mourinho but he could be. He's very athletic and technically brilliant, his problem is he's a bit inconsistent and hasn't the discipline to play as a holding midfielder which Mourinho wants.

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 57m57 minutes ago

Liverpool are increasingly resigned to being unable to prise Naby Keïta from RB Leipzig. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 56m56 minutes ago

The Reds will put their interest in Keïta on hold until a release clause kicks in next summer. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 55m55 minutes ago

Unless there is a change of stance at the German club, there will be no third bid from the Anfield club for the midfielder. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 54m54 minutes ago

Klopp is now considering moves for other midfielders in the knowledge that Keïta has a £48m release clause. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 53m53 minutes ago

Liverpool would be hopeful of being Keïta’s first choice next summer given the Guinean has been keen to move to Merseyside. (Paul Joyce)

The rebuttal of such a staggering sum underlined Leipzig were not bluffing with the public statements insisting no sale. (Chris Bascombe)

Unless there is major u-turn from Leipzig, Liverpool will return in 12 months for Keita, for a £48 million release clause. (Chris Bascombe)

After seeing successive bids rejected for Keita, Liverpool do not intend to increase their last offer of £66 million. (Chris Bascombe)

Liverpool are increasingly pessimistic about signing Naby Keita & are ready to shelve their interest until next year. (Chris Bascombe)

Liverpool are set to decide this week whether to table a third bid for Naby Keita. Their improved offer of £66m was rejected. (James Pearce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 57m57 minutes ago

Liverpool are increasingly resigned to being unable to prise Naby Keïta from RB Leipzig. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 56m56 minutes ago

The Reds will put their interest in Keïta on hold until a release clause kicks in next summer. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 55m55 minutes ago

Unless there is a change of stance at the German club, there will be no third bid from the Anfield club for the midfielder. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 54m54 minutes ago

Klopp is now considering moves for other midfielders in the knowledge that Keïta has a £48m release clause. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQ 53m53 minutes ago

Liverpool would be hopeful of being Keïta’s first choice next summer given the Guinean has been keen to move to Merseyside. (Paul Joyce)

The rebuttal of such a staggering sum underlined Leipzig were not bluffing with the public statements insisting no sale. (Chris Bascombe)

Unless there is major u-turn from Leipzig, Liverpool will return in 12 months for Keita, for a £48 million release clause. (Chris Bascombe)

After seeing successive bids rejected for Keita, Liverpool do not intend to increase their last offer of £66 million. (Chris Bascombe)

Liverpool are increasingly pessimistic about signing Naby Keita & are ready to shelve their interest until next year. (Chris Bascombe)

Liverpool are set to decide this week whether to table a third bid for Naby Keita. Their improved offer of £66m was rejected. (James Pearce)

The good news is that the club seem to be back to not very subtly briefing journalists.

LFC's communications team; 'How am I doing, boss?'

Sean Spicer: 'You're doing a great job, son... a great job!'

• Upvote 2

I trust Klopp - I have zero trust in the nomark twats he has to work with on the transfer committee/owners

• Upvote 4

So it would appear that we've wasted most of the summer chasing him then eh, knock me down with a feather.

Not sure what this means to be honest mate!

We want him - so, why shouldn't we focus upon him? I know what people are saying 'we knew he wasn't for sale' but we didn't - by all accounts e.g. other versions - there were signals that we could get him! 

So it would appear that we've wasted most of the summer chasing him then eh, knock me down with a feather.

It has echos of the Charlie Adam chase we endured a few summers ago.

At least we got our man eventually...........what a signing he was 

• Upvote 1

Just a small point - for those doubting we'll be in for him again next year - isn't this the second year Klopp has tried to sign him?

I'm sure that Keita said at the start of last season that we tried for him but he wanted first team football? 

It has echos of the Charlie Adam chase we endured a few summers ago.

At least we got our man eventually...........what a signing he was 

I kinda liked Adam, largely for comedy value. He looked like an old fashioned player, the kind who'd lose their hair before they were in their mid-twenties and had a diet that consisted of spam and fags. His wheezing runs towards the edge of the box were a sight to behold, as you knew he'd run out of breath after ten yards then fall over.