You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Picking at the relegation carcass

14 minutes ago, lebron said:

While I agree with your general assessment, I'm not really sure that will be enough this time around. I'm basing that on the current version of Mane-Firmino-Salah not being quite on the same wavelength (or of the same quality). I think at least one of the two 8s need to be a bit more progressive and creative to make us enough of an offensive threat.

I hear you but i'm more concerned about the virtually non existent protection for the defence and our terrible record of winning challenges/2nd balls and stuff from broken play  - which i believe if we sort will fix and it will mean we get more of the ball to our front men/our full backs on the attack in more space and in more dangerous positions - in turn we'll be better going both ways.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Adams, Lavia and Bella Kotchap are all good opportunities. There's some potential with those 3. And then you have Gnonto and Sulemana who have talent and potential as well.

Leicester, kind of hard to say. Tielemans is a false good idea. Maddison and Barnes will be picked up and a couple more.

37 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Adams, Lavia and Bella Kotchap are all good opportunities. There's some potential with those 3. And then you have Gnonto and Sulemana who have talent and potential as well.

Leicester, kind of hard to say. Tielemans is a false good idea. Maddison and Barnes will be picked up and a couple more.

Given Leicesters total lack of fight when it came down to it I wouldn't touch them, they don't have the intestinal fortitude required 

If we had the money would it be worth taking Bella-Kotchap and then loaning him out to ensure he gets regular minutes. He’s got the pace and the size to be a dominant centre back. Been in recent German national team squads so clearly highly rated and a player Klopp and co could mould.

I'd only look at their squads for options to pad out our home-grown options, so the likes of Dewsbury-Hall, Ward-Prowse and Livramento. Maddison isn't suited to our set-up. Barnes is, but we have better options for that left-sided attacker spot. I'm not convinced by Lavia and I haven't seen enough of the likes of Bella-Kotchap to have an opinion. I don't think the rest of the non home-grown options offer enough to be considered viable. I've looked at the Leeds squad and I can't think any of them would be worth a punt.

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

If we had the money would it be worth taking Bella-Kotchap and then loaning him out to ensure he gets regular minutes. He’s got the pace and the size to be a dominant centre back. Been in recent German national team squads so clearly highly rated and a player Klopp and co could mould.

No.

We do enough of this nonsense. We need quality and we need it now.

The "jam tomorrow" approach has not been shown to work.

2 hours ago, redinblack said:

Given Leicesters total lack of fight when it came down to it I wouldn't touch them, they don't have the intestinal fortitude required 

My thoughts exactly: player for player they're more talented than Everton, but at no stage did they put the required shift in.

56 minutes ago, redinblack said:

No.

We do enough of this nonsense. We need quality and we need it now.

The "jam tomorrow" approach has not been shown to work.

I’m not saying don’t get what we need now. Im saying have an eye on the future at the same time. Bring in the right players this window and invest in the team for the future at the same time. 
Is that a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

What happened to Ndidi? Is he shit now? Looked very good for a while.

He had a couple of seasons where he was injured every 2nd week, he's looked a broken player for a while now.

47 minutes ago, Freddo said:

I’m not saying don’t get what we need now. Im saying have an eye on the future at the same time. Bring in the right players this window and invest in the team for the future at the same time. 
Is that a bad idea.

No its not. But our approach seems to be weighted towards resale value in recent years, and it's too dogmatic we need to be flexible. We keep going by the "playbook" just now instead of using case by case thinking.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Ward-Prowse to pack out the squad. Other than that they can all fuck off as far as I’m concerned. 

(waits for Dave to enter the thread and suggest Bamford) 

Sadly he's no longer up to it physically. I can't make a case for it.

The only relegated player who interests me really is Tyler Adams. I like Ward-Prowse too and he'd be a good home grown squad player, but it looks like we have our midfield targets in our sights.

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

The only relegated player who interests me really is Tyler Adams. I like Ward-Prowse too and he'd be a good home grown squad player, but it looks like we have our midfield targets in our sights.

Let go Dave, leave him to go to Spurs or Villa and let him see out his frail dotage in comfort winning nothing and getting paid more than he's worth there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redinblack said:

No its not. But our approach seems to be weighted towards resale value in recent years, and it's too dogmatic we need to be flexible. We keep going by the "playbook" just now instead of using case by case thinking.

I don't think resale value is one of our considerations at all, we simply don't sell players. The total contract cost seems to be be all and end all. Anything beyond the initial contract period appears to be a bonus.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dave u said:

I don’t like what I’ve seen of him in the league. He looked half decent in the World Cup. 

It’s an instant swerve for me because (it looks like) we’re already signing a short arse, in Mac Allister. We can’t keep getting smaller in midfield. Can you imagine Klopp putting out Adams, Mac Allister and Elliot. They wouldn’t win a single header. 

15 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t like what I’ve seen of him in the league. He looked half decent in the World Cup. 

It’s an instant swerve for me because (it looks like) we’re already signing a short arse, in Mac Allister. We can’t keep getting smaller in midfield. Can you imagine Klopp putting out Adams, Mac Allister and Elliot. They wouldn’t win a single header. 

That's fair, and obviously we aren't signing him and I don't think we've ever even been linked to him. Just saying, he's the one from the relegated teams I like.