You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy to let Gomez make his mistakes at LFC?

neilpoole2005

51 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

More to do with how often he was beaten at the back post or with the ball over his head. 

I’m not saying he was perfect at full back. I was more replying to your point that you didn’t see anything in him. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

I’m not saying he was perfect at full back. I was more replying to your point that you didn’t see anything in him. 

Yeah, exactly. And it wasn’t like he was doing that stuff every match. There were lots of matches where he was just really good. Anyway, it doesn’t matter now because he looks every inch as good as any other top young CB in the world.

I don't care about the mistakes as much as our other CB's like Lovren, because what sets him apart is his pace. He can fuck up with his positioning and have it not matter because he can pretty much close down any player. He's absolutely rapid chasing opposition down. None of our other CB's bar VVD have the ability to do that.

• Upvote 2

I think it’s hard with young players to judge them properly and not overreact to their inevitable mistakes. However, for me it’s about weighing errors and their frequency against the player’s observable attributes. If they have obvious high level technical and physical qualities (as Gomez does - his technique and pace are both way above average for defenders in the league) then the key for me is to see how often they make mistakes, whether they learn from them and - most important of all - how the mistakes affect them mentally. 

Compare Gomez to Moreno, for example. Moreno was another young player with good technique and pace. However, he kept repeating the same errors over and over again and his confidence was also affected as his positioning and decision-making would always deteriorate in a game after an error. 

More than happy with him in the team. 

He plays like a young Rio Ferdinand, but he's lucky because he's playing with the big man, which being totally honest, Virgil is easily one of the best centre halves in the game. 

It's a luxury we have, the young apprentice being able to learn from the absolute master. 

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It is just barely possible that I am exaggerating here but I think that in 5 years when people ask what the best thing Brendan Rodgers ever did for Liverpool was, we're going to say without hesitation "buying Joe Gomez."

Either that or getting sacked 

How can you not love Garth Crooks !!

Joe Gomez: The tackle by Joe Gomez on Lucas Moura in the second half of Liverpool's win at Tottenham would have stopped a mail train.

I said two weeks ago, after Liverpool's impressive victory at Leicester, that this kid was the best defender I've seen in years. In fact I said something far more profound than that but I'm not going to repeat it for fear of jinxing the lad.

(What I will say is Gomez is a future England captain if ever I saw one. Read more about the relevance of England's fixture against Switzerland in The Crooks of the Matter below.)

Did you know? As well as contributing three tackles and three clearances, no player recovered possession more for Liverpool than Gomez (nine times).

19 minutes ago, sir roger said:

How can you not love Garth Crooks !!

Joe Gomez: The tackle by Joe Gomez on Lucas Moura in the second half of Liverpool's win at Tottenham would have stopped a mail train.

That's the most sense I've ever read from that man.  Superb old school tackle and Moura shit out of the game afterwards.

Loving Gomez the centre back, wasn't prepared to let him learn on the job cause a top club can't afford that but this lad is playing like a seasoned veteran.

If Garth crooks's daughter brought Gomez home he'd say stuff like "bet all the girls were after you in school weren't they?' and 'doesn't he look a bit like s young Denzel Washington?'. Then when everyone went home and his wife thinks he's brushing his teeth, he'd actually be having a wank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, Numero Veinticinco said:

I thought he was really good again. He’s 21. A 21 year old CB, in anybody’s book, is a baby. He is great potential. 

Yep. Hard to believe he's so young really. In 3 or 4 years we'd have to pay around 100m to get someone of his quality. We got him for 3.5m