You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

Sorry Dr Tooth we bow to your medical opinion. Things like this with advice like that is not needed

If you like medical opinion strap some electrodes to your heterotesticles and make them gay while chanting vowels as I take a scalpel to your brain to lobotomise away the womens hysteria you are displaying.

Flouride research you know you want to check prozac is just industrial waste that cant go to landfill.

But you take the pills if you want to.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Trouble with that is that for some forms of depression, it really is 'simply' the result of chemical imbalances that medicine can put right.

I agree that probably way too many are prescribed happy pills, but I'm sure for some it's precisely the right treatment.

Nestle et al are just as in control with their food processing, as are Coca Cola etc. We're all taking in a shit load of chemicals in some guise or other. If you look at things that way, the likes of Pfizer are small fry!

Utter bollocks the chemical imbalance does not exist except where poisoning has occurred. Too much flouride do some scientific research and get back to me. I'll hold.

• Downvote 2

The pills are like water wings that can help you keep your head above the surface.

I agree with the analogy but Id always be wary of just floating about on water wings for so long that you eventually forget that you are in deep water whilst slowly the air escapes and you sink.

Mrs Song had been off and on SSRIs for 14 years following the passing of one of our twin boys. She also received CBT counselling. She basically spent hour upon hour, day after day feeling absolutely non functional and in a constant daze. We were always very open and I always tried to be supportive and understanding. Failing as often as succeeding. Eventually we determined that she had to wean off the meds and never ever go back on them. This despite me working in the pharma industry. 4 years down the line Mrs Song still has bouts but she doesnt reinforce them with negativity. She is now back in full time employment after 19 years and loving moaning about it.

Only one person has power over your mind and it is you, but it defintely helps to talk.

You dont half chat shit get off the pills do you know what they contain and why they contain it.

• Downvote 2

Get the beta blockers down you. They're not mood changers, they just block certain heart signals to calm down the physical symptoms of anxiety, they're harmless and are considered performance enhancing drugs in the snooker profession.

I got given those first but went back and they gave me anxiety pills too. They try you on the low stuff like beta blockers and crank it up if you're still feeling bad.

Ginny pig arent u

I'd come off the meds if it's just depression. The SSRI's and things like fluoxetine really mess with your brain chemicals and make you go a bit bi polar / zombified, that's just my experience with them anyway. I don't think they are good for anyone long term and sedate and suppress your natural emotional response. If it's some repressed grief as related to your friends death then you probably need to go through it.

It's our cultures way to ignore those feelings rather than let it out, but it's the wrong way to deal with these things. Talking to someone will help you through it. Of course we're all prideful of how we see ourselves and want to be seen as mens men and 'men don't cry' and all that bullshit, but it's important to get that grief out, to get those feelings out because otherwise it eats away at you internally and becomes a more insidious problem. Just my two cents Sheeks.

To put what I'm about to say in context, I've spent the last year training as a counsellor (person-centred, attachment-based psychotherapy) and am at the point where I'm about to begin taking clients. I'm not fully qualified yet. and by no means an expert. I also have some personal experience with depression, and taking, and stopping taking medication for it.

What I believe about this is that if that is how you personally feel about medications you are taking then it might be a good idea, in consultation with a doctor and a therapist who is familiar with you, to think about stopping taking them, for the reasons you describe, in that you might be at that point in your journey when you don't need them any more and they could even be slowing down your recovery. That's certainly where I was when I stopped taking mine some months ago, in the midst of an episode of personal grief.

It also might not be, and you won't really know for sure in advance, so proceed with extreme caution. Certainly, if that's what you decide, don't just stop taking them, as they can take up to six months to build up to the point where they are fully efficacious, and obviously the flip side of that is that you're a long time coming down. It's certainly better to do it on a schedule, and with medical advice.

On the subject of them flattening emotions and making you feel like a robot, that is actually what is desirable and therapeutic in many cases, since depression can give us a very skewed view of the world, and although no drug is a magic cure which will make you feel better, they often can and do mitigate the more severe effects of the depression, which can give the mind time and space to begin recovery.

Therapy is by no means a magic cure either, and perhaps one of the saddest things about depression is that, having in most cases built up over many years, it is also going to take, in many cases, many years to recover from, assuming you are one of the lucky majority who can expect to recover at all.

I do firmly believe therapy is the best medicine, otherwise I would not be making the career change that I am making. Specifically, I think opening up to a third party allows you to have insight into what are very often not conscious thought processes and beliefs, and also can offer you an alternative perspective which is not coloured by the lens of the awful illness you are experiencing.

The current view in the discipline I am training in, is that experiencing empathy for oneself is what will help people most about therapy. There isn't a scientific method for doing it right, and there are many different approaches, all of which will be more relevant and work better for some people than for others.

One common thread though, is that if there are three core conditions which the therapist demonstrates and are experienced by the client (namely empathy, congruence and unconditional positive regard) then it will develop into a relationship which will have positive benefits.

The big thing to remember about depression, and about the advice you might give someone for it though, and the TL;DR for this post, is that it is something which is experienced differently by everyone, and there is therefore no answer which will work for everyone.

I still suffer from depression. I might always, but what therapy has given me is the facility to understand the causes, the effects it has on me, and how I might learn to alleviate it in the long term.

If you do take pills for your depression, please don't leave it at that. Asking for help is hard, but we all need a little help sometimes.
  • Upvote 6

Baffles me when people try and put people off taking meds, it's only one step away from 'pull yourself together.'

Read the label it makes for suicidal thoughts and tendencies most cases of unwarranted depression is directly related to flouride levels so why prescribe more flouride? Because it makes people like cattle they put it in our water apparently for dental hygiene no dose control and with disregard to these side effects on the rest of the body like no other drug there's peer reviewed science has this well documented what these pills are remnants of auswitz yet because industries would collapse without being able to use this waste we have nowhere to put anyway.

• Downvote 1

Anyone who ever says that has obviously never experienced the agony and despair of depression or poor mental health.

As you'd eat dog shit if you thought it would help.

Right well my sister is a social worker another is a carer my mothers career was largely in social care and me stepfather best friend and my mums husband of fifteen years killed himself about 2year and a half ago by hanging hisself off a tree me bird when I met her had been on these when I met her and she been off them since we met an never looked back. Now sat next to me grinning wiv r lil milk toof and we researched what pills she was on it was a result of her bein given flouride tablets when she was little as well as a lot of other issues it caused I fucking swear look into it yourself taking these tablets increases the liklihood of suicide so you cunts can stop taking the moral high ground your wrong and encouraging suicide at some point down the line the human soil rages back the only solution is connecting with other people and it can't be held back by taking flouride a proven carcinogen that causes nice things like Alzheimer's cancer depression actual suicide as displayed in rats given in some forms bad bones brain function changes and heart attacks or maybe I'm making it all up looking at the bottom of a Leno bag?

• Downvote 1

Fluoride isn't something which is prescribed for depression though.

Good vibes and good teeth, what's not to love? Put more in there I say.

Really glad to see you're getting into that career Zig, the fact you've been there will make you even better at it.

This is only my opinion but I feel that the only time therapy can help is before the breakdown or quite a while afterwards, during the event itself I really needed pharmaceuticals.

I was so gone that even the sound of my phone vibrating would startle me, I couldn't watch telly or sleep properly. You have to get out of that place before anything else makes sense.

I've been going to counselling on and off since my uni days, from simple therapy provided by the uni to CBT at Rodney Street, but it's never really helped.

One counsellor I saw though nailed down exactly what's 'wrong' with me though I think.

Apparently there's actually something called a 'highly sensitive person'. You actually have more empathy neurons than other people or some shit. I've always been the type of person for whom other people are an open book, I can suss people within minutes. Read their body language, tell when they're lying, I can go into a room and tell who fancies who and who hates who.

The downside of this is that, even if you're not prone to anxiety, your early experiences can make you so. I grew up in a rough area, had some shit at school and my step dad was and is a cunt, and I think that set me down this path. It set my subconscious thinking that the world was a dangerous place and that you have to have your wits about you.

I used to find that if I went into a cinema or restaurant, I'd analyse the crowd Terminator style for threats. If there was a loud group of lads I wouldn't be able to settle until they'd gone.

This has lessened a lot since I've been on meds and 'popped'. I read somewhere that depression can be your mind's way of lessening anxiety, because it affectively dulls your ability to think and feel, maybe there's something in that for me - because although I never feel actively down, I rarerly feel actively up either.

• Upvote 5