You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suicide

Fowlers God

I just wanted to acknowledge your post but I have no idea what to say. So sorry x

Thanks Cath, I've no idea either, I keep swinging from floods of tears to wanting to scream to wanting to be sick to raging anger st the system then back to tears again. x 

I'm sorry to have brought up painful memories Melons and I do believe the system is shite; a lot of time people suffering will be prescribed something just so the docs can move onto the next patient and get another pay check.  I think one of the reasons it hit me so much was because the shit the had me on made me somewhat emotionless about anything 

Sorry lovely, they're not memories, I wish they were. She passed away Thursday evening after being ill for almost 4 years. 15 and having spent almost a third of your life with poor mental health. I'm off loading, sorry. x

In regards to the alcohol comment, I know where some of you are coming from, however what I suggested was to not in anyway use it as a crutch, or to get bladdered. Alcohol has sedative properties, sleep deprivation as a result of anxiety exacerbates the anxiety(as does alcohol in the long term and develops depressive tendencies as I mentioned in my post),  I suppose its a judgement call for some, knowing that you've got 2 days before you're able to see a GP, but not sleeping for those days can be detrimental. Things don't change after a nights sleep, however after having sleep you're more able to process things. Long term, yes it is a messy thing to get into, however I maintain as a one off until someone is able to get to the GP it is far better than the alternatives. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Cath, I've no idea either, I keep swinging from floods of tears to wanting to scream to wanting to be sick to raging anger st the system then back to tears again. x 

Sorry lovely, they're not memories, I wish they were. She passed away Thursday evening after being ill for almost 4 years. 15 and having spent almost a third of your life with poor mental health. I'm off loading, sorry. x

In regards to the alcohol comment, I know where some of you are coming from, however what I suggested was to not in anyway use it as a crutch, or to get bladdered. Alcohol has sedative properties, sleep deprivation as a result of anxiety exacerbates the anxiety(as does alcohol in the long term and develops depressive tendencies as I mentioned in my post),  I suppose its a judgement call for some, knowing that you've got 2 days before you're able to see a GP, but not sleeping for those days can be detrimental. Things don't change after a nights sleep, however after having sleep you're more able to process things. Long term, yes it is a messy thing to get into, however I maintain as a one off until someone is able to get to the GP it is far better than the alternatives. 

Don't apologize, things happen. let it out

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

They say most people suffer from some sort of depression at some stage of life. I don't think I have but then again I'm not a doctor so I couldn't be sure, plenty of times I've been fucked off with life for one reason or another. I'm one of those typical fun loving Leo's who is always trying to make others happy through laughter etc, the down side to that is I bottle up my own problems and deal with them myself instead of opening up to others. 

A good friend of mine was suffering from depression and I stuck by her and helped her through it. One of the main things I noticed is that she felt she was a failure to her kids and found it hard to get out of the house much and interact with other people. I had just gone through a Hip replacement myself and the local office were they sorted out the physiotherapy appointments for swimming/Gym work etc were looking for volunteer workers to help out. I managed to get her to speak with them and she started helping out in their office and she is in charge of said office now. I believe helping others to sort out simple things like organising transport to get them to and from appointments gave her immense satisfaction and a brighter outlook on life. 

I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, especially if you already hold down a full time job and have kids to look after but helping others seems to give many people a feeling of achievement which is both good for the soul and the mind. 

Depression is like being in the deep end of the pool and not really knowing how to swim, so you struggle to keep your head above water. Some days are good, some days are tougher.

The pills are like water wings that can help you keep your head above the surface.

Talking to a therapist is how you learn how to swim.

The pills are like water wings that can help you keep your head above the surface.

I agree with the analogy but Id always be wary of just floating about on water wings for so long that you eventually forget that you are in deep water whilst slowly the air escapes and you sink.

Mrs Song had been off and on SSRIs for 14 years following the passing of one of our twin boys. She also received CBT counselling. She basically spent hour upon hour, day after day feeling absolutely non functional and in a constant daze. We were always very open and I always tried to be supportive and understanding. Failing as often as succeeding. Eventually we determined that she had to wean off the meds and never ever go back on them. This despite me working in the pharma industry. 4 years down the line Mrs Song still has bouts but she doesnt reinforce them with negativity. She is now back in full time employment after 19 years and loving moaning about it.

Only one person has power over your mind and it is you, but it defintely helps to talk.

• Upvote 1

I really don,t think pills are the answer, I finally realise that now, they only cover over the feelings and while it might make you feel better it doesn't fix the problem but only turns you into a robot. Thats my experience I know its different for everyone so don't take my word as gospal

Pills can really help, so much or how you perceive the world is chemical, sometimes you just need those chemicals adjusting. If there's an overall lifestyle issue causing the problem then that needs addressing, but pills can help you catch your breath. I would never self medicate though, with anything, you really need to see the GP.

Pills can really help, so much or how you perceive the world is chemical, sometimes you just need those chemicals adjusting. If there's an overall lifestyle issue causing the problem then that needs addressing, but pills can help you catch your breath. I would never self medicate though, with anything, you really need to see the GP.

Not even paracetamol?

Pills are a crapshoot, there's a reason it says "warning may cause suicide" on the bottle.  Adresss lifestyle and psychological issues first.

Pills are a crapshoot, there's a reason it says "warning may cause suicide" on the bottle. Adresss lifestyle and psychological issues first.

Sometimes you're too ill to do that though. When I first had anxiety I booked a councillor (she was shit hot, teaches psychology) but I couldn't even sit still and kept changing tack when I was talking. She basically abandoned the session and taught me breathing techniques instead.

It was only after about ten days of taking pills that my nervous system calmed down enough to do anything. I couldn't do anything up until this point, not even watch telly, let alone address issues.

I suspect it's not good to be on pills long term. But sometimes you just need that shot in the arm.

• Upvote 3

Sometimes you're too ill to do that though. When I first had anxiety I booked a councillor (she was shit hot, teaches psychology) but I couldn't even sit still and kept changing tack when I was talking. She basically abandoned the session and taught me breathing techniques instead.

It was only after about ten days of taking pills that my nervous system calmed down enough to do anything. I couldn't do anything up until this point, not even watch telly, let alone address issues.

I suspect it's not good to be on pills long term. But sometimes you just need that shot in the arm.

Yeah, good point when you let it get to that point you just gotta roll the dice.  Two things I've seen though are that we as a whole are very poorly educated in our moods and emotions, in how to identify them and how to manage them.  So often we end up in the situation you were in, even though you probably had triggers that were a warning sign and all this while unbeknownst to you, you were unwittingly engaging in behaviors that were indirectly exacerbating the problem.

Secondly, these pills are poorly understood, listening to psychiatrists talking about them is like reading Hippocrates lecturing on the bodily humours.  They're sorted into classes based on symptom relief and prescribed in the order determined by a combination of efficacy and the  incentive offered by big pharma (in the US anyway).

I'm off my soapbox now!!

Yeah, good point when you let it get to that point you just gotta roll the dice. Two things I've seen though are that we as a whole are very poorly educated in our moods and emotions, in how to identify them and how to manage them. So often we end up in the situation you were in, even though you probably had triggers that were a warning sign and all this while unbeknownst to you, you were unwittingly engaging in behaviors that were indirectly exacerbating the problem.

Secondly, these pills are poorly understood, listening to psychiatrists talking about them is like reading Hippocrates lecturing on the bodily humours. They're sorted into classes based on symptom relief and prescribed in the order determined by a combination of efficacy and the incentive offered by big pharma (in the US anyway).

I'm off my soapbox now!!

I agree on all that. The triggers for me weren't recognised for what they were until after I was ill.

I shit loads of blood one day and it turned out to be piles, but I was convinced it was cancer. I told the GP I tended to worry too much about things like this and he just said I should get some self help books.

It was only after reading up about anxiety that I recognise this as a symptom, 'catastrophising' they call it.

One thing I've realised is that mental health in this country is a joke. At one point I was becoming agrophobic and claustrophobic, and there was nothing for me, it was only my mum, Mrs and mate who got me through it. I don't know where I'd be now if it wasn't for them. I don't want to even think about it.

Funny thing, the pills. For years I had issues with the depression on and off, but basically kicked it and came off the meds.

Started having some of the signs and decided to try the depression pills again. Cue huge anxiety attacks etc - which turned out to be exacerbated by the medication.

Upon further investigation, the symptoms were more in the anxiety range to begin with - and medication is a bit of a crap shoot. What works for one will not work for the next or make them worse.

Switched to a new med, wound up with rare side effects like blood in the pee etc. got off that one asap!

Switched to another new med and feel like myself again. Happy to stay with this one for the time being. No feeling dopey, anything like that. If the meds make you dopey then you're on the wrong one!

I agree on all that. The triggers for me weren't recognised for what they were until after I was ill.

I shit loads of blood one day and it turned out to be piles, but I was convinced it was cancer. I told the GP I tended to worry too much about things like this and he just said I should get some self help books.

It was only after reading up about anxiety that I recognise this as a symptom, 'catastrophising' they call it.

One thing I've realised is that mental health in this country is a joke. At one point I was becoming agrophobic and claustrophobic, and there was nothing for me, it was only my mum, Mrs and mate who got me through it. I don't know where I'd be now if it wasn't for them. I don't want to even think about it.

It completely blows my mind that mood management isn't on the curriculum.  

Meds have a place, for some to say otherwise is just ignorant. Yes, doctors are often seen as too happy to prescribe, but to be fair with the limited mental health services available, what choice do they have? On the most part, people only turn to the doctors when they have run out of coping mechanisms, they're at a crisis point and there is no time to wait for a CBT/Psychotherapy or indeed any other of the therapies available to kick in, the practitioner then has 10 minutes to decide if this person is at risk of harming themselves or others. The person thats poorly is then sent away in the hope that they've got the right meds and they'll see their mood stabilise over the next 2-6 weeks. Them addressing their lifestyle and psychological issues isn't really going to happen whilst they're struggling to get out of bed in the mean time, is it?

Meds are so much more than a mask, once you get the right one, they actually hold things together while hopefully with other support you start to heal. 

Fab thread thats well worth a read. Zig totally rules it, and is much more coherent then I could ever dream to be. (Just ignore noos)

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/100444-depression/

Called into my friends last night even though I was exhausted, but I didn't want to just go to bed at 7pm. Bad habit to start getting into. Anyway they were all boozing, music pumping, coke everywhere haha. I managed to stay until 11pm, had fun, and had a single measure of captain Morgans and about 8 pints of water. Glad I did now. My anxiety has been tame, but present the last 24 hours, but I managed to have a really good day regardless. The best day since it all kicked off last week, by a mile.

• Upvote 3

Meds have a place because it is often a chemical issue. Tons of evidence has shown that increase levels of things such as serotonin, dopamine adrenaline can have a major impact upon mood. When we lived in the jungle people with some of these issues would be highly prized. Not so much in the office environment. I am sure there are ways to lower or raise these naturally but we rarely have time or ability to do it. Take a pill and fit in.

• Upvote 2

Called into my friends last night even though I was exhausted, but I didn't want to just go to bed at 7pm. Bad habit to start getting into. Anyway they were all boozing, music pumping, coke everywhere haha. I managed to stay until 11pm, had fun, and had a single measure of captain Morgans and about 8 pints of water. Glad I did now. My anxiety has been tame, but present the last 24 hours, but I managed to have a really good day regardless. The best day since it all kicked off last week, by a mile.

good stuff mate. My issue was anxiety, insomnia and worst of all panic attacks.

First time I had a panic attack I was actually out on the piss. The drink took the edge of but I never felt "normal" again. I was only 18 as well. Tried everything before taking tablets and suffered for two years before I finally went to the doctor. Within 10 weeks I suddenly felt normal again. So for me tablets definitely work.

• Upvote 2