You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How long can we carrry a player like Sterling?

Code

Age and captaincy have nothing to do with this issue. It's simply a case of what it would cost to replace Sterling if we were to turn him down and invite him to move on.

What wages would you expect to have to pay for a player as good as him now in a central or wide attacking position? Then, you also factor in his potential and how you expect him to improve over the next 5 years. If his progress continues in the way it has over his 3 seasons as a first team player, then what wages would you expect to have to pay for an attacking player as good as Sterling?

If you expect him to continue to improve, then his wage demands are pretty reasonable given the cost and risk of having to find someone of equal ability when you already have someone proven ability at the club.

That's not caving in to demands, it's just common sense, and there's nobody else at the club next season, Henderson included, who is more difficult or expensive to replace than Sterling, so anyone prompted to ask for a similar increase can easily be told to fuck off.

Good post.

Age and captaincy have nothing to do with this issue. It's simply a case of what it would cost to replace Sterling if we were to turn him down and invite him to move on.

What wages would you expect to have to pay for a player as good as him now in a central or wide attacking position? Then, you also factor in his potential and how you expect him to improve over the next 5 years. If his progress continues in the way it has over his 3 seasons as a first team player, then what wages would you expect to have to pay for an attacking player as good as Sterling?

If you expect him to continue to improve, then his wage demands are pretty reasonable given the cost and risk of having to find someone of equal ability when you already have someone proven ability at the club.

That's not caving in to demands, it's just common sense, and there's nobody else at the club next season, Henderson included, who is more difficult or expensive to replace than Sterling, so anyone prompted to ask for a similar increase can easily be told to fuck off.

Good post, I'm still not convinced he will become the player some think he will, he is young but still inconsistant, and at times looks completely clueless when on the ball. That's why I wouldn't make him our best paid player (which I'm assuming Sturridge will be next year), I think if whats reported is true then it's a fair offer and as I've said he'll be rewarded again in 12-18 months if he carries on.

It's a good incentive for a young player and how things should be done.

People saying the hostility toward him for not signing the contract is wrong? His lack of respect for the club is all too apparent, he owes a lot to Rodgers, the way he's managed him, defended him for the "tired" scandal, mid season holiday, played him in a variety of positions most managers wouldn't even dream of doing. Raheem is acting like an absolute price, 150k a week, Was suarez even earning that last season? It makes me cringe, watvhing hit an under 12s standard shot and run down another blind alley.

People saying the hostility toward him for not signing the contract is wrong? His lack of respect for the club is all too apparent, he owes a lot to Rodgers, the way he's managed him, defended him for the "tired" scandal, mid season holiday, played him in a variety of positions most managers wouldn't even dream of doing. Raheem is acting like an absolute price, 150k a week, Was suarez even earning that last season? It makes me cringe, watvhing hit an under 12s standard shot and run down another blind alley.

People can invariably do as they wish. But I, personally, don't get the hostility toward Sterling. He's just negotiating a contract. I am sure most people on here negotiate their wage.

And I am not sure why the same level of opprobrium isn't being levelled at Henderson. He too is stalling on a contract while he gets himself a better deal. Why aren't people calling him an 'ingrate'?

People can invariably do as they wish. But I, personally, don't get the hostility toward Sterling. He's just negotiating a contract. I am sure most people on here negotiate their wage.

And I am not sure why the same level of opprobrium isn't being levelled at Henderson. He too is stalling on a contract while he gets himself a better deal. Why aren't people calling him an 'ingrate'?

He's taking the fucking piss with the figure he's looking for.

Henderson would be piss easy to replace we used to have players like javier masch xabi a peak gerrard hamaan sissoko players we havent replaced and certainly allen lucas and henderson would need to sprout another pair of legs to reach their level. Hes more of a biscan who has been given a larger role due to the above.

Hes taking the piss hes next lfc capt in waiting and wants to haggle like bigger and better and richer clubs are queuing up for his services.

Henderson would be piss easy to replace we used to have players like javier masch xabi a peak gerrard hamaan sissoko players we havent replaced and certainly allen lucas and henderson would need to sprout another pair of legs to reach their level. Hes more of a biscan who has been given a larger role due to the above.

Hes taking the piss hes next lfc capt in waiting and wants to haggle like bigger and better and richer clubs are queuing up for his services.

The reason why we couldnt easily replace Henderson is in your post , " we used to have players like mash, Xabi, Sissoko, Hamaan . Today we have Allen and Lucas and Lallana.

Nothing we do in the transfer windows these days gives me any confidence we could recruit a replacement for Henderson any time soon, Sterling even more so

The reason why we couldnt easily replace Henderson is in your post , " we used to have players like mash, Xabi, Sissoko, Hamaan . Today we have Allen and Lucas and Lallana.

Nothing we do in the transfer windows these days gives me any confidence we could recruit a replacement for Henderson any time soon, Sterling even more so

Well why bother then? Lets just pack up our boots and all the players go an get real jobs.

Hopefully we will get some DMs by the grace of god in his sixth window.

I'd rather keep them both tbh, as they're only going to get even better imo.  Better that they do it with us. 

Exactly , we have already invested heavily in their development and I would like to see the finished article in a Liverpool shirt, I thought that was the point of buying these kids,

• Upvote 1

As I say, that depends on how you view football (and work, to a lesser extent). By your logic Alan Shearer should have gone to united, but he never did.

Shearer signed for Blackburn because Jack Walker could pay the transfer fee straight away, whereas United needed time to raise the money. Second time around, Shearer decided to join United but changed his mind at the last minute and decided it was time to return to the North East.

Good post. The boy is a good player but don't see an exceptional player in him. 

People saying the hostility toward him for not signing the contract is wrong? His lack of respect for the club is all too apparent, he owes a lot to Rodgers, the way he's managed him, defended him for the "tired" scandal, mid season holiday, played him in a variety of positions most managers wouldn't even dream of doing. Raheem is acting like an absolute price, 150k a week, Was suarez even earning that last season? It makes me cringe, watvhing hit an under 12s standar d shot and run down another blind alley.

Thank you. The boy s a good player but seriously doubt he would develop into the top bracket your Messis and Ronalds inhabit. But the wages he is demanding are the sort those guys would command at his age.  Raheem Sterling is just learning his trade. And he should have shown some gratitude to Liverpool and Rodgers for making him the player he has become. Loyalty in football may be a thing of the past in these times of globalized football but Liverpool shouldn't give in to his demands even if that meant losing him. This would be for two good reasons...avoiding setting a bad precedent and protecting the name and prestige of this great institution. 

I don't think he owes Rodgers shit. The 'tired' scandal was what any other manager or boss of an organisation would have done for one of their own. If I felt like I had to 'owe' my boss for every time he fought my corner then I would be looking elsewhere as well.

Let's face it he doesn't owe anyone or the club shit. He's a 20 year old lad who plays for our club. He will get as much out of this as he can and use this chance to the best of his ability. That's his right. Footballers get about 10 yeas to make as much as they can. The last thing on his mind will be "how can I best serve liverpool football club".