You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Centre Back Conundrum (ESPN article)

dave u

toure_460.jpg

One of the biggest question marks surrounding Liverpool ahead of the coming season concerns the centre of the defence. Martin Skrtel continues to be linked with a move away from Anfield whilst the Reds have reportedly rekindled their interest in the powerful young Greek Kyriakos Papadopoulos. It may not be a position of glaring need but there is unquestionably some uncertainty there, especially as it’s the first season in a long time where Jamie Carragher won’t be around to hurl himself in front of shots and bark orders at those around him.

Brendan Rodgers was recently asked whether he needed another centre back and responded by extolling the virtues of new signing Kolo Toure before adding "We have a number of other outstanding centre-halves in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel. We also have an up-and-coming top talent in Andre Wisdom who will be a very good centre-half for Liverpool in the future. And we still have Sebastian Coates too."

The first thing I took from those words was that Coates is now a complete afterthought. Understandable really, I mean he's only at the club to keep Luis Suarez happy and he's clearly not doing that very well. Ok, I'm not being entirely serious there although there's probably some element of truth in it.

In fairness to Coates, he's obviously a decent player and I have no doubt he'll go on to become a fine centre half for somebody - just not Liverpool. He'll need to learn his trade somewhere for a couple more years, as centre backs don't usually come into their own until their mid-late 20s.

To read the full article, click here.

Is there much interest in Skrtel or Coates, those are two I thought would have been moved on but there seems a lack of interest.

Toure was a no brainer a direct replacement for Carra. I agree he might well be a surprise but if we sign the Greek fella he may well drop down the pecking order.

As always a good read.

I'm not sure I agree with Dave's take on Kelly's abilities to do the full back job, even though I don't have a strong opinion either way as to whether that or centre half is his best position.

I think he can perform the winger aspect of the job pretty well, though he is more the no frills push and run type of winger when attacking, rather than a skilful, tricky one.

He can certainly put a good cross in, an ability which for reasons I don't understand, has become increasingly rare.

I also think he is a good athlete with bags of stamina, thus enabling him to get up and down the full length of the pitch without suffering for it.

Of course it's a fair point that if his body is going to keep creaking with injury after injury, then he is going to have a big problem and, the demands of that position will then be great. But if he keeps breaking down to that extent, nearly always with serious injuries too, then he's going to have this big problem whichever position he plays in.

You'd also have to bear in mind he's never played for the 1st team at centre half (as far as I can remember) and it will have been a good while now since he has played there at any level.

Kolo has awful aerial stats from past season, which is probably his biggest weakness so regarding Skrtel leaves (as probably our best CB in air) we need Papadopoulos or someone dominant in the air, because that was our biggest weakness in Carra - Agger combo, and Kolo is not an upgrade on Carra aerially, maybe even worse.

Btw. Skrtel will leave for surely if any accptable offer comes. He declared for slovak newspapers last week that he decided that he wants to stay in Liverpool, fight for his place and get beack to first team. Brendan actually said to all CBs that all of them have the same chance to start and will get the same portion of minutes in pre season, to challenge for the spots. I think it was just a diplomatic phrase with starting Danny with Kolo in every game until now, and Martin with Wisdom, so if Skrtel is not totally dumb he must be aware now, that he is not 1st or 2nd choice, as he was under Rafa,Woy, or Kenny, and will get to start only in case of injuries, suspensions, or if Kolo will be a mare signing (as Agger seems untouchable for BR, even if he played awful since january until april).

I'm pretty happy with our centrebacks (and potential new centreback/s). In fact it's the thing I'm least worried about compared to our full backs, centre mid, wide mid and up front.

Have to disagree. Giving away silly goals from keeper and centre backs kills any other progress. Last season we gave away a lot of poor goals and if it hadn't been for a surprising resurgence from Carra our results may not have picked up at all.

Granted we need another attacking midfielder, (and a striker if Luis goes), but getting rid of Sktrel and getting a new centre half would be my biggest priority.

I'm not sure I agree with Dave's take on Kelly's abilities to do the full back job, even though I don't have a strong opinion either way as to whether that or centre half is his best position.

I think he can perform the winger aspect of the job pretty well, though he is more the no frills push and run type of winger when attacking, rather than a skilful, tricky one.

He can certainly put a good cross in, an ability which for reasons I don't understand, has become increasingly rare.

I also think he is a good athlete with bags of stamina, thus enabling him to get up and down the full length of the pitch without suffering for it.

Of course it's a fair point that if his body is going to keep creaking with injury after injury, then he is going to have a big problem and, the demands of that position will then be great. But if he keeps breaking down to that extent, nearly always with serious injuries too, then he's going to have this big problem whichever position he plays in.

You'd also have to bear in mind he's never played for the 1st team at centre half (as far as I can remember) and it will have been a good while now since he has played there at any level.

Agree with most of that, the point about him not having played centre back in several years is why I suggested in the article that he should maybe have a few u21 run outs in that position.

As for him not being suited to full back, I think he's better than most right backs defensively and he's quite good going forward. However, I think he's been found out a little, as he generally plays in straight lines up and down the pitch and if someone stands in front of him and blocks the space down the line, he can only stop and pass the ball back inside. You try that shit with Johnson and he's more than happy to just cut inside and dribble with it.

Given his build and physical attributes, Kelly could be a top centre half but unless he starts playing there occasionally we'll never know.

Good article, that. Agreed with pretty much all of it. I would prefer to see Wisdom stay but only for selfish reasons because I really rate him. It does make sense to loan him out if he's not going to get many games though; especially now that it looks increasingly likely we will be signing Papadopoulos. Having Kelly as competition for both full back positions and back-up at centre half would be fine by me.

I can see Coates being sold for about £4 million close to the deadline and then moving for £20 million in a few years, therefore some kind of sell-on clause would probably be a very good idea.