You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez: Sell or Keep?

WhiskeyJar

Suarez: Keep or Sell?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Suarez: Keep or Sell?

• Keep him; he is nuts but he is world class and we do not sell world class players.
    • Sell him; he is world class but too much of a nuisance to our club. Time to cash in.
    • Not sure if we should sell him or keep him.

Doesn't that tell you that you might just be on the wrong side of the fence?

Also, I find the continued assertions that anyone who wants Suarez gone must be a daily mail reading mong pretty insulting.

All remains to be seen, until theres anything concrete though I'm going to go with my gut instinct from reading what Luis has said before red tops have put there spin on it and say that I think he wants to (and will) go to Madrid but if it doesn't happen there will be no problems staying with us

I just don't see the point in people (not necessarily you, you've made some points I agree with and some I don't in this thread) getting into hysterics over something that hasn't and still might not even happen

He sails pretty close to the wind but, for me, he's not a nasty individual. Just a winner.

He is

A natural born winner at that. The type of winner you want in your team if your going to achieve things.

But he has much more outweighing his positives right now.

He is also worth a lot of money and i think we can find players who have good quality and dont come with half the baggage.

Do you really think this? The problem is, no matter his baggage, we wouldn't replace him with anyone anywhere near as good.

Yea i really do

I think people failed to notice just how much he pissed off his own team mates last year by refusing to pass to them and how much he blasts them for not passing to him.

I don't think he will score anywhere near the amount of goals he did last year either.

He scores great goals and free kicks and those kind of goals dont happen all the time. He is much more than a "purple patch" player but he will struggle to get near last years total.

The way we play now we don't need one individual doing it all for us, in fact it would have a negative impact on the rest of the team.......especially the young players coming through.

He went fucking beserk at robinson last year because he didnt cross the ball and took a shot. He also picked a fight with henderson because he dared to question Suarez when luis didnt pass him the ball for an easy goal/chance.

This kind of shit is just plain wrong and it will not help new players or young players who are at the club.

We need players who can freely experess themselves on the pitch and not be shit scared that they didn't pass to the star player. It doesnt work, we tried it with Gerrard.

Do you really think this? The problem is, no matter his baggage, we wouldn't replace him with anyone anywhere near as good.

I bet people were saying that when Torres was sold as well but we got on with it and should have come out better then we did.

I like the way we have been operating in the transfer market in 2013 and would like to see what they could do with the money from Suarez plus whatever we have.

They know what mistakes were made last time we were in this position,I hope and think wed come out of it with a stronger squad if Suarez was sold.

• Downvote 1

I have been banging the drum for Higuain for a while, I think the only way we get a top player to come here is if we use the leverage we have from the Real bid to get one of their unwanted players to come here. Higuain fits the bill perfectly; deadly finisher, and surprisingly still just 25 years old so he would suit the owners' desire to not get older players. I don't understand the argument that he would compete with Sturridge; surely if we want to get top 4 (and eventually challenge for the league title) we need more than one top striker, if anything I see the fact that he would compete with Sturridge as a positive.

All that being said, if the rumours that Real are going to offer us Higuain + 15 million euro for Suarez are true then we should absolutely tell them where to put that offer. It's in the neighborhood of the Arsenal £30 million "bid" that we laughed off, if you consider that they basically rated Higuain at £23 million when Arsenal were bidding for him.

I'd think long and hard about Higuain + £20 million (what's that, 24 million euro?) though.

Edit: Just went looking for a source on all these rumours and realised it's Tancredi Palmeri, who really should work for the Daily Mail with the accuracy on his transfer reporting. Dreadful source.

Edited by Ne Moe Imya

Yea i really do

I think people failed to notice just how much he pissed off his own team mates last year by refusing to pass to them and how much he blasts them for not passing to him.

I don't think he will score anywhere near the amount of goals he did last year either.

He scores great goals and free kicks and those kind of goals dont happen all the time. He is much more than a "purple patch" player but he will struggle to get near last years total.

The way we play now we don't need one individual doing it all for us, in fact it would have a negative impact on the rest of the team.......especially the young players coming through.

He went fucking beserk at robinson last year because he didnt cross the ball and took a shot. He also picked a fight with henderson because he dared to question Suarez when luis didnt pass him the ball for an easy goal/chance.

This kind of shit is just plain wrong and it will not help new players or young players who are at the club.

We need players who can freely experess themselves on the pitch and not be shit scared that they didn't pass to the star player. It doesnt work, we tried it with Gerrard.

First of all, players regularly ball each other out. It's just the way they are wired and some are worse than others. Sure, it's not a good look but it is a common one.

Secondly, I don't agree he's a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. I think he's both and it's that, aligned with his winner's mentality, which makes him one of the world's best players. We'd be silly to sell him by choice. If he wants out, that's a different matter.

First of all, players regularly ball each other out. It's just the way they are wired and some are worse than others. Sure, it's not a good look but it is a common one.

Secondly, I don't agree he's a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. I think he's both and it's that, aligned with his winner's mentality, which makes him one of the world's best players. We'd be silly to sell him by choice. If he wants out, that's a different matter.

True they do, i'm not saying he is the only player who does this. That fucker Ronaldo is the biggest culprit of this when he doesnt get passed the ball but i think its to the detriment of the team.

I didn't say he was only a scorer of great goals, i think mainly he does but your right to point out he scores other types of goals.

I'm not slating his ability or questioning if he is world class.

What i'm saying is do we really need one world class player, with all his pro's and con's or would liverpool benefit from selling him and adding 2 or 3 really good quality players?

Guest San Don
I have been banging the drum for Higuain for a while, I think the only way we get a top player to come here is if we use the leverage we have from the Real bid to get one of their unwanted players to come here. Higuain fits the bill perfectly; deadly finisher, and surprisingly still just 25 years old so he would suit the owners' desire to not get older players. I don't understand the argument that he would compete with Sturridge; surely if we want to get top 4 (and eventually challenge for the league title) we need more than one top striker, if anything I see the fact that he would compete with Sturridge as a positive.

All that being said, if the rumours that Real are going to offer us Higuain + 15 million euro for Suarez are true then we should absolutely tell them where to put that offer. It's in the neighborhood of the Arsenal £30 million "bid" that we laughed off, if you consider that they basically rated Higuain at £23 million when Arsenal were bidding for him.

I'd think long and hard about Higuain + £20 million (what's that, 24 million euro?) though.

Edit: Just went looking for a source on all these rumours and realised it's Tancredi Palmeri, who really should work for the Daily Mail with the accuracy on his transfer reporting. Dreadful source.

All very well in theory but there's a couple of points. Why would Higuain come here when he knows suarez allegedly wants a move to a club playing in the CL?

How long do you think Higuain is going to want to stay here if we fail to qualify for the CL within 2 seasons?

Sorry, people might think its do-able but I cant see Higuain (or any 'quality player for that matter) being part of a swap deal.

All very well in theory but there's a couple of points. Why would Higuain come here when he knows suarez allegedly wants a move to a club playing in the CL?

How long do you think Higuain is going to want to stay here if we fail to qualify for the CL within 2 seasons?

Sorry, people might think its do-able but I cant see Higuain (or any 'quality player for that matter) being part of a swap deal.

I agree with you that it's not an easy sell to Higuain.

However, that said, it seems that the only clubs really in for Higuain (and he's already said goodbye to the Real fans so it's not likely he'll return) are Arsenal and Tottenham, and if we can't convince him that we're at least at their level or have a chance of getting there with his help then we have no hope at all of ever getting back into the top 4.

As to how long he'd stay if we fail to get into the CL, I don't think we can have that as a consideration. If that were something we were taking into account then why buy any quality player, because as soon as we fail to make CL for 2 seasons they'll just leave. By that measure even the Coutinho signing was a mistake because he'll be gone next summer.

I really think the only hope we have of getting a player on the level of Higuain is to use the fact that Real want Suarez. If Real put pressure on him as well to accept our offer, I think we would honestly stand a good chance of bringing him in. You may disagree, and that's fair, but I think if we thought Real's price was OK we could convince him to come.

Guest San Don
I agree with you that it's not an easy sell to Higuain.

However, that said, it seems that the only clubs really in for Higuain (and he's already said goodbye to the Real fans so it's not likely he'll return) are Arsenal and Tottenham, and if we can't convince him that we're at least at their level or have a chance of getting there with his help then we have no hope at all of ever getting back into the top 4.

Good points but although we see ourselves as being on a par (and in some instances, better than either of them), I think we'll have really difficulty getting some players to join without european football never mind CL.

As to how long he'd stay if we fail to get into the CL, I don't think we can have that as a consideration. If that were something we were taking into account then why buy any quality player, because as soon as we fail to make CL for 2 seasons they'll just leave. By that measure even the Coutinho signing was a mistake because he'll be gone next summer.

I think we do need to have that as a consideration. CL football is where everyone wants to be. Be on the outside and you \ we will find our best players leaving or being tempted by clubs who are.

Im not suggesting a signing like coutinho was a mistake. What I am saying is, season after next, if we arent in the CL, Countinho could be the next player tempted away.

I really think the only hope we have of getting a player on the level of Higuain is to use the fact that Real want Suarez. If Real put pressure on him as well to accept our offer, I think we would honestly stand a good chance of bringing him in. You may disagree, and that's fair, but I think if we thought Real's price was OK we could convince him to come.

I agree with you at this point of us having no CL. Im just doubtful Higuain would come here in the knowledge one player is leaving to find CL football. What's he going to be thinking? Higuain may well be up for it and give it say 2 years, who knows. Im just doubtful it would happeb

I'd be amazed if Higuain would join us. Unless we are prepared to splash the cash on a few big signings (which we arnt it seems) then there will probably be a few clubs he'll join before us.

It's not like we have been out the CL for a year or two like when Suarez joined its been a while now and unless there is a real push and ambition shown by the club to make it for next year then we will struggle to convince any big name players to come here barring paying massive wages (which we won't)

Liverpool Aims to Convince Suarez to Stay as Arsenal Makes Offer

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez can expect to retain the support of the team’s fans even though he’s agitating for a move a way from the Premier League soccer club, Managing Director Ian Ayre said.

The 26-year-old Uruguayan has been linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea and Arsenal after he said he’d like to leave the 18-time English champion during interviews at last month’s Confederations Cup. Ayre confirmed that Liverpool rejected an offer from Arsenal for Suarez, who scored 30 goals last season.

“I don’t think anyone will be against him at this point,” Ayre said in a telephone interview. Suarez, who joined from Ajax for 26.5 million euros ($34.6 million) in January 2011, will miss the first six games of the season wherever he plays because of a 10-match ban for biting an opponent. He was banned for eight games a year earlier for racially abusing a rival.

“He only needs to do what he did last season and everyone will feel he’s in the right place and he should carry on getting the support that he deserves and gets from Liverpool,” Ayre said. “We’d love to see Luis put on a Liverpool shirt for this season and beyond and we hope that once he gets back things will settle down.”

Even with Suarez’s goals, Liverpool finished seventh in the league, failing to qualify for European competition. Suarez has said he wants to move to a club playing in the Champions League, a competition Liverpool hasn’t been in since 2009. He also cited critical treatment from the U.K. media as a reason to quit the country before saying most recently he was “flattered” by interest from London-based Arsenal.

Champions League

“This is an ambitious young player, he’s talked in the media about wanting to play in the Champions League and all these things,” Ayre said. “It’s our job to convince Luis that this is the right place to achieve those things.”

Ayre wouldn’t detail the team’s targets for next season, but pointed to this summer’s recruitment drive as proof the Reds, owned since 2010 by the U.S.-based Fenway Sports Group, will try to secure a top-four finish to reach the Champions League. At 9 million pounds goalkeeper Simon Mignolet is the most expensive recruit and he’s been joined by Spanish attackers Iago Aspas and Luis Alberto as well as defender Kolo Toure. Still, the club failed in its most ambitious bid when Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan chose Champions League finalist Borussia Dortmund.

“We’ve got other people in our sights and we’ll keep plugging away,” Ayre said. “But we’ll do some more business, there’s no doubt about that.”

Popularity

Liverpool leaves today for a tour of Asia, a region where the team, which last won the English championship in 1990, remains popular. A match at the 100,000-capacity

Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia was sold out in hours. That popularity, said Ayre, has helped recruit talent even though the team hasn’t been competing for top honors of late.

“We’ve brought in great players who recognize we’re not in the Champions League but see the size of this club, see the size of the opportunity and what we’re trying to build and want to be part of it,” he said.

Liverpool has revamped its operations in the last 12 months, hiring Dave Fallows as head of recruitment and scouting and Barry Hunter as chief scout from Premier League rival Manchester City as well as a number of others based overseas.

The structure will allow the club to replace Suarez or other players quickly should they depart, Ayre said. The changes came after the team spent 35 million pounds in 2011 on Newcastle’s Andy Carroll, a striker who last month moved to West Ham for as little as 15 million pounds.

“In every position on the pitch we have a fairly good idea of who are the best players available at what price in the event one of our players leaves,” Ayre said. “But that doesn’t mean we’re painting a negative scenario, it just means you’re planning well, which is what people expect.”

Liverpool Aims to Convince Suarez to Stay as Arsenal Makes Offer - Bloomberg

“In every position on the pitch we have a fairly good idea of who are the best players available at what price in the event one of our players leaves,” Ayre said. “But that doesn’t mean we’re painting a negative scenario, it just means you’re planning well, which is what people expect.”

Liverpool Aims to Convince Suarez to Stay as Arsenal Makes Offer - Bloomberg

How about if we should want to add quality to the current underachieving squad then Ayre?

Sadly, and I mean that with a heavy heart, players of today are not prepared to work with a team in transition to get back into the place they all as players crave.

They want it all, and they want it now, and if that means moving with the bonus of a huge signing on fee after one or two seasons, then thats what they do.

Very rare these days to find a top class, and I mean top top class player, who is willing to work with a team that has an amazing history, to get back where it should be, when he can sign for a team that is already in that place.

Loyalty is a thing of the past, and the sooner we get used to it the better.

SG and JC are the last of a breed, legends and heroes in football are stories we can only tell our kids about, they no longer exist.

If the reports are true about LS wanting out, then he is no better than the hermer judas, especially after all the support he has had during his, shall we say, darker moments.

Meanwhile back at sky.

Arsenal target Luis Suarez is open to the possibility of staying in the Premier League, according to Sky sources.

Suarez has consistently blamed intrusion from the English media for his wish to leave Liverpool this summer, and Real Madrid remain favourites for his signature with Sky Bet.

Arsenal have already had one offer for the striker rebuffed but, amid reports a new bid is being prepared, Sky sources understand he has not ruled out joining an English club in the Champions League.

The healthy relationship between the two clubs' boards is of further encouragement to the Londoners and, when asked whether there was a genuine possibility Suarez might start next season at Arsenal, a source close to the negotiations said: "Maybe."

Arsene Wenger, meanwhile, would not be drawn on specific targets as he arrived in Vietnam for the latest leg of his side's pre-season tour.

Wenger said: "You want me to announce a spectacular signing, but I can't. We are working behind the scenes to strengthen the squad - but I can't give you names."

Wenger will send out a team to face Vietnam in Hanoi on Wednesday on the back of a 7-0 victory over an Indonesia Dream Team at the weekend.

The Frenchman has been also been linked with moves for Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain and Manchester United's Wayne Rooney, and he last week described those two players - and Suarez - as "realistic targets, quality-wise."

Transfer news: Arsenal encouraged as Luis Suarez remains open to staying in England | Arsenal News, Fixtures, Transfers, Results | Sky Sports Football

If they value him at 40 would you take Higuain and 10 million?

My position would be that Suarez is worth around £20M more than Higuain, but like I said on the MF, if we got lets say £50M in cash, would we be able to get a player of Higuains proven quality in?

So if Higuain wanted to come here I would have to give it some serious consideration.