You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fuel prices rigged for the last 10 years

Gym Beglin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/10058634/David-Cameron-deeply-concerned-if-petrol-prices-driven-up-by-price-fixing.html

Not a secret, let'e be fucking honest.

But the interesting thing is that there seems to be a genuine intent to ask questions, and the power play between big oil and government is going to be worth keeping an eye on.

Shocking this bit:

'Politicians and experts are today asking why the Office of Fair Trading said the petrol market is "working well" in January, only for European regulators to launch an investigation into oil prices this week.'

That raises a lot of very uncomfortable questions about the OFT, and many other government departments, to be honest.

THE high cost of petrol may not be caused by poltergeists, it has emerged

Oil companies had insisted that fuel prices were high because of mischievous ghosts who lived in petrol pumps and could only get into heaven by increasing the cost of living.

And before the discovery of the first haunted forecourt, the companies said the price was dictated by ‘international moods’ or an algorithm based on the number of carbon molecules per litre, multiplied by the square root of the weather.

But now it has been claimed that the price of petrol is based on oil executives all agreeing to charge the same large amount of money.

Julian Cook, professor of price deciding at Roehampton University, said: “We can’t rule out ghosts just yet, but the idea that the price could be based on whatever they all want it to be is worthy of further inquiry.”

But Professor Cook said that any price fixing by the oil companies would have been incredibly complex and would have had to involve three key factors:

The desire to make vast amounts of money;

Unbridled contempt for the public;

And a series phone calls or emails.

He added: “At this stage it is no more than a theory that these three factors could even co-exist.

“For the time being, always remember to carry your your anti-poltergeist triangle.”

About 6 years ago the price of fuel increased massively over a few months. I remember filling up in Hemel Hempstead and was gutted that it was £1.25 for a litre of diesel. But in the 6 years since its gone up by approx 11p per litre, which is not a great increase over 6 years.My opinion is the public were told this increase was due to the economic collapse etc..blah blah blah... and the petrol companies were happy to reap the rewards but have realised the public cannot afford much more and have slowed down the increases, unless they want a full scale meltdown.

Basically its all corrupt and we are all paying for our government not having the balls to stand up to them as well as a ridiculous taxation.

About 5 years ago we* were moaning on here about paying £1.20 a litre of diesel. Prices have gone up abuot 16% in the last five years. How's that compare against other figures, like the cost of crude, the cost of processing and other stuff? Seems a bit fucking steep to me.

*Well, I was.

About 5 years ago we* were moaning on here about paying £1.20 a litre of diesel. Prices have gone up abuot 16% in the last five years. How's that compare against other figures, like the cost of crude, the cost of processing and other stuff? Seems a bit fucking steep to me.

*Well, I was.

The oil companies are constantly testing the water as to what to public will pay by constantly increasing and decreasing (slightly) the cost of fuel. It's not a matter of what it costs to produce as we are told, its what us soft arses agree to pay. The Govt won't intervene due to the massive tax they earn from it. Gangs of corrupt cunts. I'd love to live close to work and fuck of my car.

It's hardly a surprise that organisations happy to allow their pipes to explode and their tankers to devastate whole communities (it cheaper to just let it happen and pay the fine than actually sort the problem) will plot to fix prices.

The petroleum industry will be kicking itself this morning that they haven't invested billions in campaigns for politicians down the years to align them to their own self-interest and against that of the wider planet. Silly mistake that one.