You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

A friend of mine did a race in Canada yesterday.  32k feet gain, 32 hours, 1.8 times

up the mountain.  Nearly got hypothermia, in rain, hail and snow. Saw bears a mountain lion and a beaver. She was hallucinating on one of the sections and could only take in 300 calories as she was sick.  Fucking machine. 

That is insane! But boss

And Week 14 is in the bag! The weeks are really flying by.....2 weeks today i will be running the London Marathon - unreal how quickly it has come round.

Last weekend saw my longest 'long run' at 22 miles....This week saw the start of the taper with a shorter long run today and after today the last two weeks see a real reduction.

So the week just finished today:

Tues:  40 mins - 4.11 miles - 9.45 per mile

Weds: 40 mins  - 4.45 miles - 9.00 per mile

Fri: 55 mins - 6.24 miles - 8.49 per mile 

Today: 1hr 30 mins - 9.35 miles - 9.37 per mile

Forward to Week 15 I go....

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, an tha said:

And Week 14 is in the bag! The weeks are really flying by.....2 weeks today i will be running the London Marathon - unreal how quickly it has come round.

Last weekend saw my longest 'long run' at 22 miles....This week saw the start of the taper with a shorter long run today and after today the last two weeks see a real reduction.

So the week just finished today:

Tues:  40 mins - 4.11 miles - 9.45 per mile

Weds: 40 mins  - 4.45 miles - 9.00 per mile

Fri: 55 mins - 6.24 miles - 8.49 per mile 

Today: 1hr 30 mins - 9.35 miles - 9.37 per mile

Forward to Week 15 I go....

Seriously, good luck in the marathon. Just remember not to push yourself to absolute exhaustion in the last mile to make the best time as that's when most people frequently serious distress themselves.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Seriously, good luck in the marathon. Just remember not to push yourself to absolute exhaustion in the last mile to make the best time as that's when most people frequently serious distress themselves.

Cheers.

Yeah they say the race really starts at 20 miles as well...so very conscious of ensuring i have enough in tank to get it finished and do so in decent shape.

I am not really setting self a time target....i'd love to go under 4 hrs even 3hrs 59 mins 59 secs would be boss....but i can't see it and i am not going to ruin myself chasing it.

I did 3 hr 25 mins 5 secs for  22 miles last sunday that is 9.19 per mile - i wasn't pushing myself too hard doing that - that works out to (assuming can put the 4.2 miles on top in ok) to 4 hr 4 mins for marathon...

Thing is there are other factors to count in both ways...legs will be fresher on marathon day than they were last sunday - as will have been on taper in training....adrenaline and excitement of day and all that comes with it makes a difference (positively but also risks being negative if go too fast).....there is a big difference running on own in training and running on the day with thousands of others and people watching etc...

But ultimately i am going to just do my thing probably aim to run at around 9 min 30 a mile but not get hung up on that - just find a nice pace i feel good with and see how i feel as it goes....i just want to finish it and do so in good shape. If a good time happens great - if not, no sweat.

But definitely welcome all advice and will factor it all in!

• Like 1

And Week 15 is in the bag!

This time next week I will be close to finsihing the London Marathon (hopefully)

In the taper now so the week I have just finished today was a lighter one than previous weeks - but I have been running quick by my standards!

Tues:  30 mins - 3.20 miles - 9.22 per mile

Weds: 41 mins  - 4.58 miles - 8.57 per mile

Fri: 30 mins - 3.41 miles - 8.49 per mile 

Today: 1hr - 6.65 miles - 9.02 per mile

Forward to Marathon week I go....

• Upvote 4

Been the excel today to pick up race number and timing chip.

Fucking hell - can't believe it is happening on Sunday....it has come round dead quick.

Did last run on training plan of any real substance today - a little 4 mile job and did a 20 min run yesterday - I have one more run on plan which is Friday, but it is just a 10 min jog...

So more or less done now before the big day on Sunday.

I have logged 469 miles in my structured training period - i was running before to be fair, but that is my distance sincr i started the specific marathon training plan......onto Sunday I go!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Been the excel today to pick up race number and timing chip.

Fucking hell - can't believe it is happening on Sunday....it has come round dead quick.

Did last run on training plan of any real substance today - a little 4 mile job and did a 20 min run yesterday - I have one more run on plan which is Friday, but it is just a 10 min jog...

So more or less done now before the big day on Sunday.

I have logged 469 miles in my structured training period - i was running before to be fair, but that is my distance sincr i started the specific marathon training plan......onto Sunday I go!

How many imaginary ‘tweaks’ have you felt this week?

6 hours ago, Champ said:

It sounds like you’ll be grand.

I’m looking for a PB for the GF

Just want to get round!!

I tell you what fucking carb loading is hard work.

All the nutrition sites etc suggest about 10g of carbs per kg of body weight in couple of days before race.....It is a fucking lot of carbs.

100g of porridge for example only has 60g

2 largish jacket potatoes 110g....

Got to get on it tomorrow and saturday

7 hours ago, an tha said:

I can't frigging sleep and i've got 26.2 miles to run tomorrow.

Race eve nerves!

Best of luck. Let all the hard work you did in preparation for this carry you home. 

I’ve no idea what you look like, but I’ll be watching and cheering you on. 

Enjoy.