You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Northen Scum"

Hazel Motes

who?

anyway cut the shit cock knee

ive lived down south and its full of the most materialistic and false people ive ever met.

people down there only care about money, and if you dont live down south they just think everyone is thick and poor.

people down south are rude, and arent very welcoming, especially if they find out your from up north.

you might be different but 90% of the people living down south are this way, and its quite funny that the rest of the country laughs at them all......

while you save up for a bmw.

You do realise people down here think exactly the same thing about scousers, mancs, brummies, scots, welsh, irish. Just like you hate everyone else, so does every major city in the UK.

Although I doubt London is that unwelcoming considering how many people go and live there for work.

I just don't get what the problem is, I'm mixed raced (my mum's from London and my dad's a Scouser) so I can comment on getting both sides, she gets far more shit for being a cockney when she goes up there then he did for being a scouser down here, although I think that's probably because Scousers will openly take the piss to your face about it rather than behind your back, which is so much better)

But there's no arguing with some people, it's like the morons that mindlessly call Scousers thieving cunts while London's crime rate is sky high. But then again i've had some ridiculous things said to me when I've been in town because they know I live in London.. "If a girl gets raped and starts screaming, no one would help her in dat der London would they?" was probably the best/worst I've heard.

It's just regional stereotypes that will never be broken. There's too many S*n readers and people with such entrenched views out there for it to change.

I dunno why we just all can't get along and shit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your absolutley right, my views do nothing to help the divide, they only enhance it.

but i have alot of family down there, many of them my age. and i've been hearing it for years. even more so when i moved down there.

after so many years of hearing all the bullshit cock knees come out with, i one day decided that they are all the same and a bunch of plastic flag waving cunts.

money makes they're world go round.......being humble, honest and trustworthy makes mine.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Anybody that judges an entire group of people, based solely on the location that they exited their mother's vaginas, are twats.

I've lived in the north, I've lived in the south.

I've come to the conclusion there are knobs in the north, there are knobs in the south.

I've met some sound people in the north and I've met some sound people in the south.

I fucking hate this North/South pissing contest. If youre mates with knobs it means you're probably a knob yourself.

Anybody that judges an entire group of people, based solely on the location that they exited their mother's vaginas, are twats.

"Based solely" being the key. That is not to deny that there is a clear division in culture.

I acknowledge that there are cultural differences between people who live on the Wirrel to those that live in South Liverpool, to those that live in North Liverpool, to those that live in Prescot, to those that live in St Helens, to those that live in Wigan, to those that live in Chorley, to those that live in Preston, to those that live in Blackburn, to those that live in Salford, to those that live in Manchester. And so it goes on. (They have different accents, different traditions, different language etc etc.)

However, although it may be a wide brush stroke, there is a definite northern-ness awareness. We are made to be aware of our northern-ness due to the arrogance and complacency of dominant culture which is southern based. For example, when I was growing up, and I watched soaps, the only character with any sophistication on Corrie was a southerner (Mike Baldwin), the only northern character in EastEnders, Mary, was the only punk in the entire country (as she was so behind the times). There is a BBC correspondent for “The North of England” yet a correspondent for every facet of southern life. And don’t get me started on the geographical location of every media/cultural institute of note being the South.

Just like Black/Asian people are more aware of their ethnicity and women are more aware of their gender, northern people are more aware of their northern-ness.

This has always been the case, but was accelerated during the 80s when Thatcher’s government ran down traditional manufacturing industries of the north and invested heavily in southern-based new technology industries. This is all outlined in the excellent book “Divided Kingdom” by John Osmond. He defines the “North” as being bordered by the Exe and Why rivers.

I would ALWAYS define myself as coming from the North of England as opposed to being English. I know I am not alone in this.

It’s grim up north.

You can say all you like, but to deny cultural differences between northern and southern England is to be in denial. Personally I have more connection with Scots, Welsh and Irish people than people from the South of England.

As for Northern Scum, like all appropriations of offensive terms in order to soften their bite, some people will find it ok, others will be offended.

"Based solely" being the key. That is not to deny that there is a clear division in culture.

I acknowledge that there are cultural differences between people who live on the Wirrel to those that live in South Liverpool, to those that live in North Liverpool, to those that live in Prescot, to those that live in St Helens, to those that live in Wigan, to those that live in Chorley, to those that live in Preston, to those that live in Blackburn, to those that live in Salford, to those that live in Manchester. And so it goes on. (They have different accents, different traditions, different language etc etc.)

However, although it may be a wide brush stroke, there is a definite northern-ness awareness. We are made to be aware of our northern-ness due to the arrogance and complacency of dominant culture which is southern based. For example, when I was growing up, and I watched soaps, the only character with any sophistication on Corrie was a southerner (Mike Baldwin), the only northern character in EastEnders, Mary, was the only punk in the entire country (as she was so behind the times). There is a BBC correspondent for “The North of England” yet a correspondent for every facet of southern life. And don’t get me started on the geographical location of every media/cultural institute of note being the South.

Just like Black/Asian people are more aware of their ethnicity and women are more aware of their gender, northern people are more aware of their northern-ness.

This has always been the case, but was accelerated during the 80s when Thatcher’s government ran down traditional manufacturing industries of the north and invested heavily in southern-based new technology industries. This is all outlined in the excellent book “Divided Kingdom” by John Osmond. He defines the “North” as being bordered by the Exe and Why rivers.

I would ALWAYS define myself as coming from the North of England as opposed to being English. I know I am not alone in this.

It’s grim up north.

You can say all you like, but to deny cultural differences between northern and southern England is to be in denial. Personally I have more connection with Scots, Welsh and Irish people than people from the South of England.As for Northern Scum, like all appropriations of offensive terms in order to soften their bite, some people will find it ok, others will be offended.

Great post, sums it up nicely for me.

When watching rugby union I'll usually want England to beat France and Italy, but when they play the home nations I tend to favour them. I think its cos I see it as a Southerner's team and I'd like the jocks/irish/welsh to do them over.

When watching rugby union I'll usually want England to beat France and Italy, but when they play the home nations I tend to favour them. I think its cos I see it as a Southerner's team and I'd like the jocks/irish/welsh to do them over.

It helped me work out friend or foe when I saw John Snow's 1983, 1987 and 1992 Election Night maps.

Don't tell me there's no cultural divide.

Lest we forget:

mapr_1992.gif