You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll, what does he do?

Code

We lost far more money on Aquilani than Carroll, Aquilani also contributed far less.

These are facts, why not bring them to the table?

Aquilani was a stinker of a signing. There's no getting away from it. In some people's eyes maybe worse than Carroll. Not mine though.

We lost far more on Aquilani did we? What do you class as far more? It's probably negligible if anything. Nobody knows what's gone on with Carroll's wages. He could easily have said I'm not going to West Ham unless I get a pay rise because it's a worse club. Nobody has a clue.

In one post your slagging off Aquilani saying he offered nothing even though he played games and was left out even if he played well, the next your saying Carroll got fucked off as he come good. He never came good. He was a 35m signing that flopped, big time. The likes of which I doubt we will ever see again.

If the two signings were made by the same managers only the other way around your argument would be the other way around as well. That's how stupid you are and you can't even see it.

The most galling thing about the Andy Carroll transfer was how painfully fucking unimaginative it was. A player with no real reputation in the game hits a brief run of good form and we make him one of the most expensive in the history of the sport. He was being linked with a £6m move to Stoke 6 months before we signed him and you can still go on Newcastle forums and read them discussing the lad at the time, expressing doubts over his ability to play in the Premier League and wondering if they might be able to hold out for a fee closer to £10m before getting shut.

What made anyone at the club ever believe he was a £35m player or even had the potential to be? He doesn't possess great technique, speed, intelligence or movement and his attitude towards self improvement is shit. You look at Ronaldo who keeps himself in absolute peak physical condition and is constantly looking to improve his technique and expand his skilset and then compare that to Andy who has a lax attitude towards training and openly admits he "likes a drink". How many truly world class athletes in this day and age (Messi, Ronaldo, Bolt, Federer, Woods etc) make a habit of going out and getting absolutely shitfaced, routinely seen staggering out of nightclubs in the early hours? It's like the last 20 years of sports development have been completely lost on him.

At least with Aquilani he had given reason to believe he could be a top class player (which is why he's played for Roma, Juventus, Milan and earned 26 caps for Italy), which is more than could be said for West Ham's Andy Carroll. If our signings this summer don't work out I don't feel it would be for lack of research, which certainly seems to have been the case with 'Big Andy'. In fact offering silly money for whichever flavour of the month Premier League player had hit a run of good form (a sure-fire way to minimize value for money) seemed to be the entire basis for our transfer strategy under Kenny and Comolli. Absolutely fucking appalling piece of business and everyone involved in it from our end should be ashamed.

I didn't dare to dream that we would ever get that much for him. Thank God there's still idiots like Fat Sam around who think football is about hitting it long to "the big man". Hopfully west ham will work out for Andy. I always liked him, even if he wasn't good enough for Lfc.

If this is all true then we've got £19.5m in total. We've got to be happy with that, all things considered.

So £35M minus £19.5M = £15.5M loss, How much did his goals scored give us in cup run etc revenue?

So a grand loss of around £15.5M?

Pretty sure we can get a proper holding/passing mid for that, so not so much of a loss as a gain really, providing we spend the money properly, and not waste it on a shithouse Allen type.

Ticket prices will rise yet again after this, the owners wont allow for this sort of loss without gaining it back somewhere else. cunts.

Those of a pillard view, get ready for another pillar to be added.

Bought for £35M, loaned out when he started to come good and had helped the team reach two finals, scoring the winner against our neighbours and rivals in the semi final and scoring two goals to get us back in the game in the final only to be robbed by the ref.

Then sold for £17,5M after we have got a £2M loan fee for him the year before.

Thats a "loss" of £15,5M and it could have been less had it not been down to the ineptitude of our manger, we also just paid his wages for 1,5 season.

Then take a step back and compare it with players like Alberto Aquilani, then you'll start to understand what a really pigshite signing looks like.

Only you could be shameless enough to try and turn Rodgers salvaging £19.5m and probably about £4m in wages from this situation into a negative.

Just so we're clear too, his value on the books, 18 months into a 5 year deal, is £24.5m. The only reason we got anywhere near that is that Rodgers was shrewd enough to send him to a manager that would set a whole team up around him to showcase the positives in his game and keep his value high.

Anyone who would suggest, with hindsight available to them, that getting him out to West ham was a bad move is, frankly, a fucking lunatic. He isn't right for how the team is being built and his value would have shrunk with every game he had to sit on the sidelines as better players played ahead of him.

If you'd take him over Sturridge and Coutinho, again, you're a fucking lunatic.

I don't want him at LFC and think the £35m Kenny paid for him was scandalous but that doesn't mean he won't be a massive player for West Ham. The idea that signing him on those terms wasn't like buying money for their owners is a misguided one. With Allardyce setting the side up around him he'll easily repay his fee and his wages in television money for staying up and for the extra 5 or 6 positions he'll give them each season.

Cardie - How you can keep saying he's not been decent for West Ham is beyond be. It misses the reality of the situation quite spectacularly. He's the focal point of the side and has caused chaos for them on many occasions.

fuck sake how about wishing him the best and move on !!

look at it this way we sold we sold torres for 50m and babel for what 6m that pretty much covered both suarez and carroll signings

i could understand people being pissed if we had signed carroll and suarez then the torres deal falling through but it stands at no point did the club/owners stump up the 58 odd million that they cost

atleast carroll didnt sit in brazil crying for us to sell him at every chance he gets !! to me that does more damage than any loss that people say we made on big andy

Carroll could have been the difference to CL football or not for Liverpool this season, just as replacing Kenny with Rodgers was it.

Genuinely hilarious stuff. Actually, literally, deranged.

You are having a Sissoko like decline in respect from me. Have you been kicked in the eye or something.

you can't blame him for the transfer fee. if we paid 15 million for him people wouldn't be slagging him off. i'm a bit gutted to see him go but we got a good and fair price for him.

i wanted him to play for us last season as he had a good end to the season (goal v the shite at wembley) and a good euro's.

his injury's fucked him.

i wish him luck and genuinely think he will do a great job there particularly with fat sam's long ball game.

Biscan was overpriced and overpaid - I loved him, floppy cocked madman.

Not having that, mate. He was well worth it.

As for Carroll, at least he's gone. Too bad we had to flush £20M down the toilet to get rid. Then again, he's the worst signing we've made in my lifetime so I guess that's where you end up.

you can't blame him for the transfer fee. if we paid 15 million for him people wouldn't be slagging him off. i'm a bit gutted to see him go but we got a good and fair price for him.

i wanted him to play for us last season as he had a good end to the season (goal v the shite at wembley) and a good euro's.

his injury's fucked him.

i wish him luck and genuinely think he will do a great job there particularly with fat sam's long ball game.

This

Carroll could have been the difference to CL football or not for Liverpool this season, just as replacing Kenny with Rodgers was it.

It took Rodgers 6 months max to get his football philosophy to the team, Kenny couldn't acheive this after a year and a half here.

He made the least progress of any manager in recent times despite having more money to spend then any of them.

As for Carroll even Kenny didn't rate him and only started to play him towards end when it was clear he was being sacked so he could try to make Carroll look better and make his mistake not look as bad.

I never seen Kenny manage the first time or play for us,judging him on his second period I want him nowhere near Liverpool job.

• Downvote 1

fuck sake how about wishing him the best and move on !!

look at it this way we sold we sold torres for 50m and babel for what 6m that pretty much covered both suarez and carroll signings

i could understand people being pissed if we had signed carroll and suarez then the torres deal falling through but it stands at no point did the club/owners stump up the 58 odd million that they cost

atleast carroll didnt sit in brazil crying for us to sell him at every chance he gets !! to me that does more damage than any loss that people say we made on big andy

exactly. good post

It took Rodgers 6 months max to get his football philosophy to the team, Kenny couldn't acheive this after a year and a half here.

I never seen Kenny manage the first time or play for us,judging him on his second period I want him nowhere near Liverpool job.

Clash of the mongs.

There's a bad movie in there somewhere.

He made the least progress of any manager in recent times despite having more money to spend then any of them.

As for Carroll even Kenny didn't rate him and only started to play him towards end when it was clear he was being sacked so he could try to make Carroll look better and make his mistake not look as bad.

2 cup finals? you are one serious mong

Cardie - How you can keep saying he's not been decent for West Ham is beyond be. It misses the reality of the situation quite spectacularly. He's the focal point of the side and has caused chaos for them on many occasions.

I didn't say he's not been decent, I questioned Stronts statement that he did a great job for them.

He was injured for big chunks of the season (and is again) and managed 7 goals in what 25/26 games. In the 6 games he scored in, West Ham took a total of 7 points (two wins and a draw), all as the 'focal point' of the side.

The idea that he is somehow one of the under the radar players of the season, or has been great for West Ham is laughable. He's not nearly fit enough, or consistent enough and it was no different when he was here.

who are talking about managers then cretic?.

I assume the word you're looking for is 'cretin'.

And you are, you fucking mong.

Genuinely hilarious stuff. Actually, literally, deranged.

You are having a Sissoko like decline in respect from me. Have you been kicked in the eye or something.

Stu, I never really rated carroll while he was here with us, but there is no way getting around he improved his fitness and by that his game massively towards the end of the season and he has kept this fitness up at West Ham.

Having another striker at the start of the season, another option when we constantly looked like just hitting a brick wall and also someone to help out defensively on set pieces could have made a huge difference and with a better start who knows where it would have ended.

The players Kenny left us were more than good enough for a top four challenge as thats exactly what they gave us for 2/3 of last season.

had we continued with kenny I would have been disappointed by anything less than 70 points so why should I not point this out without getting accused of all sorts?