You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Libraries Gave Us Power

bossy

How many people actually use libraries, out of interest? In this day and age of the internet and relatievly cheap and widely available books, they're more of a community centre aren't they these days? I know ours have been rebranded as 'learning centres' or some such.

Who on here goes though I wonder? People with easy access to the net etc. The only person I've ever known who regularly uses a library is Ken Barlow.

I write a lot and find the library an excellent place to work. Even though I have broadband at home most of the more unsavoury sites I visit are blocked there which reduces distractions. The only libraries I use are Central and Toxteth, the former has fantastic resources and Tocky is perfect for 'zoning out'. If you're able to ignore the smackheads, oddballs and fit student girls you can actually get a lot of shit done in the library.

So, how long you and K-Barl been tight?

Who on here goes though I wonder? People with easy access to the net etc. The only person I've ever known who regularly uses a library is Ken Barlow.

I use the library loads, can barely remember a time over the last 10 years when I haven't had books out. I don't use it for internet/studying or anything like that, just for taking books out.

A bit like saying 'when did you last use the hospital' really as its something that needs to be there just for the idea of it, access.

Bet the bankers are made up, hope they have a few drinks on me and my local library. Maybe they can use the VAT money to buy them up and convert them as they are set to try and stimulise the housing sector to keep house prices high and maintain that economic bubble. Thus indebting us further to them, longer mortgages pay more to banks. Less freedom for us, less of a fuss, less to kick up when you're lying in dust but you cuss if you must.

High rents, raised VAT, what will they think of next?

We are headed for complete and total economic breakdown on every single level people, an I hate sayin that. (They say it won't affect the poor cos food and clothing are somehow protected, except to say you can't get you food and clothes to the shop without using some form of transport, which is affected by the raise in VAT, don't fall for their bollocks idiots.)

A bit like saying 'when did you last use the hospital' really as its something that needs to be there just for the idea of it, access.

Bet the bankers are made up, hope they have a few drinks on me and my local library. Maybe they can use the VAT money to buy them up and convert them as they are set to try and stimulise the housing sector to keep house prices high and maintain that economic bubble. Thus indebting us further to them, longer mortgages pay more to banks. Less freedom for us, less of a fuss, less to kick up when you're lying in dust but you cuss if you must.

We are headed for complete and total economic breakdown on every single level people, an I hate sayin that. (They say it won't affect the poor cos food and clothing are somehow protected, except to say you can't get you food and clothes to the shop without using some form of transport, which is affected by the raise in VAT, don't fall for their bollocks idiots.)

Libraries. The thread is about libraries.

Libraries. The thread is about libraries.

No, it's about a small part of a bigger picture; as the thread starter acknowledges.

The bankers did what the system demands they do, gamble like fuck, and it all went tits up; so we lose libraries. That's the long and short of it.

No, it's about a small part of a bigger picture; as the thread starter acknowledges.

The bankers did what the system demands they do, gamble like fuck, and it all went tits up; so we lose libraries. That's the long and short of it.

It was a joke about Dennis Tooth's rambling/ranting nature. RIP Monty, RIP!

And they are funded by central government who reduce the money they give them and they have to prioritise and libraries arent considered essential enough.

They're partly funded by central government, and partly by council tax, but the choice is still that of the local council, and not all councils are closing libraries. If your local council is making cuts in areas it doesn't consider to be a priority, it's your job to demonstrate that they got it wrong, if that's what you believe. And then, if you still don't like what they're doing, vote them out.

Not only that, but once the hyper inflation kicks in (£183BN) already introduced into the economy via the means of QE (Quantitative Easing) {Who gets this money by the way? Oh yeah the Privately owned central banks & the IMF}

Anyway back to my point, we have introduced £183BN into the monetary system thus watering down the existing supply in the process, next step is £1000 loaf of bread like Germany in the 30's.

But by that time the Globalists will own everything anyway & all our rights will be obsolete, we will be living in a fascist dictatorship run by the Mafia corporates for the Mafia Corporations.

Libraries will be the very least of our worries.

(Oh & a quick tip to everyone.... Buy as much Silver as you can afford to get your hands on)

I'm doing a bit of work with a few libraries at the moment and yes they're on the way out. If your local community doesn't use it it'll go. I was actually quite surprised at the amount of people who use them. The one's that have been redeveloped in the area I'm working with are moving towards being more communal spaces rather than just a library. One has just been integrated into the new school which is a good idea and they'll anchor it down with a Costa, Cafe Nero.

It's funny how they want cut the resource that can help people into work but there is an element of truth of:

"SHUT THE LIBRARY....... OUTRAGEOUS"

"and when did you actually last use the library sir"

"Errrr.........."

I use our library and everytime I go in there are always people in. It's never full like greggs at lunch time but they're not meant to be. Just coz you don't go doesn't mean others don't.

Yeah I didn't say it did mate.

For me the role of the library has changed, they're were originally a repository of information that the whole community were able to access, information that wasn't always available to them elsewhere. I don't think that is the case anymore, I think people can access information far more freely than they could, can access books far more cheaply than they could.

For this reason libraries have been diversifying over the last 10 years or so, ours has a coffee bar and parents and toddlers groups and all sorts, as I say, they're more like community centres now - fair play like, but like I say, I wonder how many people who aren't drawn from a particular demographic (elderly especially) use them regularly.

They're partly funded by central government, and partly by council tax, but the choice is still that of the local council, and not all councils are closing libraries. If your local council is making cuts in areas it doesn't consider to be a priority, it's your job to demonstrate that they got it wrong, if that's what you believe. And then, if you still don't like what they're doing, vote them out.

But the odd independant with his hands tide aside, they are all the same all 3 parties? Even if you win on one issue with your local council, they'll only take it back from something else.

What you need to do as a responsible member of the public is go down to westminister and kick some nuts.

I use Libraries on occasion, I almost never take a book from it though. However, if I am going to have a crack at some writing I'll go and attack some research in there. They are also vital to unemployed people seriously looking for work.