You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Europa League - worth focussing on?

jackofdk

How hard should we try for the Europa League?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How hard should we try for the Europa League?

• Play a strong side to go and win it
    • Play a mix of experienced and younger players
    • Play youngsters and see where it takes us and keep the top players fresh for the league
    • Play gradually stronger side as the tournament progresses

It is NOT a step towards 19 and 6. 19 could take another 19 years. We should try and win some trophies in the interim. Europa league is one of those trophies we could win in the interim.

Do you honestly think a season of 19 additional Thursday evening games won't seriously dent our chances of a top four finish and our aspirations in the two domestic cups?

We really, really don't need this competition.

I'd also rate the FA Cup as having more prestige.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly think a season of 19 additional Thursday evening games won't seriously dent our chances of a top four finish and our aspirations in the two domestic cups?

We really, really don't need this competition.

I'd also rate the FA Cup as having more prestige.

Do you know what I honestly think mate? I honestly think we won't get an awful lots of chances to win trophies until the financial shit is sorted out. We should aim to win trophies like Europa League.

Football is about more than money. At least for me. At least yet.

Play to win it.

I wish that could be true mate. Football is all about money these days. However, there is no guarantee we will finish top 4 if we forego Europa league. In fact, there is no guarantee to anything in football.

We should aim to win a trophy this year. Whether its league cup or FA cup or Europa league. I will be delighted with a trophy in May. 4th or not.

Football is about more than money. At least for me. At least yet.

Play to win it.

I hate how the disagreement in this thread gets twisted to be between the real pure football fans that just wants to win and the money oriented yank-era fans who think we should go for the league this year in hope of doing as well as possible and get in the CL next year.

It's about different perspectives and different valuations on winning an Europa League for me.

I feel the club as a whole which entails the fans would be better off by going 100 percent for the League instead of getting distracted by a tournament that should come way down the list of priorities.

That would make it more likely that we get to see top players in red the season after next which again would increase our chances of winning a really big trophy like the league or the CL.

Do you know what I honestly think mate? I honestly think we won't get an awful lots of chances to win trophies until the financial shit is sorted out. We should aim to win trophies like Europa League.

I just think that travel involved to many of these far flung smaller European clubs and coupled with Thursday night fixtures will effectively ruin our domestic season.

We should still get to the group stages with a reserve/youth players though.

I want us to try and win it. We are in it, sure we have ambitions of returning to the CL next season but I see no reason to snub a potential trophy now for a return to the CL then as the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I think to win anything at all, would be great for the club and a huge lift. It's been too long between celebrations and no trophy is beneath winning. ever. to me.

I hate how the disagreement in this thread gets twisted to be between the real pure football fans that just wants to win and the money oriented yank-era fans who think we should go for the league this year in hope of doing as well as possible and get in the CL next year.

Nothing to do with "real pure football fans". It's all about the owners raping the club, and the fans slowly adapting to the situation by lowering expectations, accepting that we cannot sign top class players, a top class manager, and do not have a squad to compete in several competitions. It may be realistic, yes, but LFC has always been about beating the odds. Not any longer, it seems.

Nothing to do with "real pure football fans". It's all about the owners raping the club, and the fans slowly adapting to the situation by lowering expectations, accepting that we cannot sign top class players, a top class manager, and do not have a squad to compete in several competitions. It may be realistic, yes, but LFC has always been about beating the odds. Not any longer, it seems.

From my perspective going balls out for the Europa League is lowering expectations. I'd rather focus on getting back on top in the important tournaments.

I'd rather win it than either the Carling or the FA Cup. We're not going to win the League. So it's a priority for me.

If Torres stays we've got as good a squad as last year (assuming we get to spend the Mascherano money) so why can't we manage both a League and a European campaign?

I want achievements to talk about. Achievements that our rivals will look upon with jealousy.

The Europa Cup is not one of those achievements. If I saw the Mancs lifting it, I'd feel nothing. If I saw them lifting the FA Cup or the Champions League, it'd be horrible.

We're not gonna win the title, so let's go for the next best thing. FA Cup this year and CL qualification for next.

Remember, our two best players are sicknotes. Torres is permacrocked and Stevie's a grandad. Either of them's season could be ended by some nasty tackle from some awful Shakthar Donetsk nobody or something. That ain't a risk I'm willing to take.

I'd rather win it than either the Carling or the FA Cup. We're not going to win the League. So it's a priority for me.

If Torres stays we've got as good a squad as last year (assuming we get to spend the Mascherano money) so why can't we manage both a League and a European campaign?

Cause we couldn't last year?

We should be looking to win it. How awesome was the win in 2001? Give the Carling Cup a pass, play a mix of youth and experience in the FA cup, and play the strongest possible teams in the Europa League and the League.

And yeah I understand that playing away in some remote city on Thursday is not ideal prep for a Sunday fixture, but we're just going to find a way to deal with it.

There's going to be some great clubs in it, and I really don't understand the 'tin pot trophy' condescension. Sure it's not the Champions League, but it's still fantastic in my opinion.

Loser mentality ruling here. The owners have succeeded in their most important task, lower expectations, make the fans "understand" the limitations. This is not the Liverpool Football Club that I know.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

I want us to win every game, and go for every competition. Prize money or prestige doesn't matter to me, silverware does. Money comes in and goes out. Trophies come in and go in the record books forever. That's the difference.

We've won SFA for 4 years, the final is in my backyard, it's the second biggest cup in European club football (Shanks/Bob/Houllier's first European trophy) where we have a fine record.

Worth focussing on?? Yes, Yes, Yes.

Hammer. Nail. Head.

I want us to win every game, and go for every competition. Prize money or prestige doesn't matter to me, silverware does. Money comes in and goes out. Trophies come in and go in the record books forever. That's the difference.

We've won SFA for 4 years, the final is in my backyard, it's the second biggest cup in European club football (Shanks/Bob/Houllier's first European trophy) where we have a fine record.

Worth focussing on?? Yes, Yes, Yes.

But your wrong it's the Premier League and Champions League which only matter now. Which we've won , between them, a grand total of one. (Since football was only invented in 1992).

Winning breeds winning.

There needs to be a winning mentality at Liverpool and the lax attitude to the cups in recent years from all corners has been really disappointing.

However, we should be able to play a mix of experienced players and fringe players/reserves to get through to the last 32 and we'd be daft not to use the squad in some of the 'easier' games.

Bollcks to it, our squad is thin anyway so we need to concentrate on trying to get back into the top four which will be an epic task, play some young players and see how they get on, wouldn't pay it any mind though - it's a fucking awful competition these days.

You can't parade a 4th place on top of a Bus. I say go and win it. Back in 2001 it 'felt' like we were winning a big Trophy and it announced that we were back on the European stage. Go out and win it this season and get back into the top 4. IF we can get through this qualifier then there are no reasons why we can't. I know Thursday and Sunday mixes up the footballing equilibrium, but it's only a day later than Wednesday and Saturday and we exist to put pots on the sideboard.

Win the fucker.