You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool have announced their squad numbers for the Europa League.

Promising youngsters from John McMahon's reserve team squad including David Amoo, Daniel Pacheco, Swedish winger Alex Kacaniklic, Gerardo Bruna, Steven Irwin and Robbie Threlfall have also been included in the squad.

Rafael Benitez's side take on Romanian champions Unirea Urziceni in the Europa League with the first leg at Anfield on Thursday, February 18.

Liverpool's Europa League squad:

1 Diego Cavalieri

2 Glen Johnson

4 Alberto Aquilani

5 Daniel Agger

8 Steven Gerrard

9 Fernando Torres

11 Albert Riera

12 Fabio Aurelio

15 Yossi Benayoun

16 Sotirios Kyrgiakos

18 Dirk Kuyt

19 Ryan Babel

20 Javier Mascherano

21 Lucas

22 Emiliano Insua

23 Jamie Carragher

24 David Ngog

25 Pepe Reina

26 Jay Spearing

27 Philipp Degen

28 Damien Plessis

31 Nabil El Zhar

32 Stephen Darby

34 Martin Kelly

36 Steven Irwin

37 Martin Skrtel

38 Robbie Threlfall

39 Nathan Eccleston

40 Daniel Ayala

41 Martin Hansen

44 David Martin

45 Alex Kacaniklic

46 David Amoo

47 Daniel Pacheco

48 Gerardo Bruna

Reds name Europa squad - Liverpool FC

Bit weird, naming Eccleston when he's now on a season-long loan. I guess he can be called back, but all the same...

Guest davelfc

I thought Maxi would be allowed, thought there was a rule where you were allowed one player who had already played in the competition for a different team, after the break. Obviously not, I must have confused it with some other rule.

I thought Maxi would be allowed, thought there was a rule where you were allowed one player who had already played in the competition for a different team, after the break. Obviously not, I must have confused it with some other rule.

You can have someone who has played in another UEFA competition.

Not the same one I believe.

You can have someone who has played in another UEFA competition.

Not the same one I believe.

Athletico were in the Champions League. In Chelsea's group if i remember correctly.

Shouldn't he qualify for this then, seeing as its not the Champions League?

Also echo the original posters comment about Ecclestone. Send him on a seasons loan one day, name him in a European Squad the next. Fucking braindead if true. Unless he's required to fill the home-grown quota. But even then - why not name someone who can actually fucking play in it.

Athletico were in the Champions League. In Chelsea's group if i remember correctly.

Shouldn't he qualify for this then, seeing as its not the Champions League?

Also echo the original posters comment about Ecclestone. Send him on a seasons loan one day, name him in a European Squad the next. Fucking braindead if true. Unless he's required to fill the home-grown quota. But even then - why not name someone who can actually fucking play in it.

Wasn't Eccleston's only a month or 2 loan?

Might have made that up though but thought it was what I read.

His loan has been extended for the season.

Which makes his inclusion genius after all.

Like using all your money on a midfielder who wont play for 5 months when your in desperate need of a striker.

Its one fucking thing after another.

Granted its only 1 youth player in a big squad but why even waste the time writing his name on the squad sheet when he cant play.

I think they only gave Eccleston a month-long loan initially because they were hurrying to get him eligible for last week's debut. So the season loan was always planned. Seems odd to include him on the list. Couldn't we have given Dalla Valle a number and added him?

Maybe we just needed him for the English quota. Maybe we can cancel the loan if we want to. Not a big issue.

No no, it is a big issue, they all are, it shows incompetence, it's systematic of a manager who's lost the dressing room, lost the press, lost his keys, plays Lucas, targets a right back on loan when we need a top quality striker, doesn't sell Babel, plays Carragher right back, doesn't spend twelvty million pound we don't have and, signs free transfers, releases players nobody cares about until their name is mentioned and generally hurts the sensibilities of the poor clanger element of our support......that or we might have submitted the list prior to the Eccleston deal being extended, who knows.

No no, it is a big issue, they all are, it shows incompetence, it's systematic of a manager who's lost the dressing room, lost the press, lost his keys, plays Lucas, targets a right back on loan when we need a top quality striker, doesn't sell Babel, plays Carragher right back, doesn't spend twelvty million pound we don't have and, signs free transfers, releases players nobody cares about until their name is mentioned and generally hurts the sensibilities of the poor clanger element of our support......that or we might have submitted the list prior to the Eccleston deal being extended, who knows.

Thats the point i was making mate. Its another thing to add to a list of almost daily calamities at the club. Yesterday it was losing a highly rated 17 year old to a rival club for a paltry fee. Today this. It seems to never end.

Some people feel the need to neg me for pointing out the truth tho. I know it hurts, but burying your fucking head in the sand and pretending these 'mistakes' aren't happening isn't something im prepared to do anymore. If we were performing well and fighting for trophies, then things like this could be ignored, and forgotten. But wait, were fucking not.

Tk421 yes, im talking to you.

Thats the point i was making mate. Its another thing to add to a list of almost daily calamities at the club. Yesterday it was losing a highly rated 17 year old to a rival club for a paltry fee. Today this. It seems to never end.

Some people feel the need to neg me for pointing out the truth tho. I know it hurts, but burying your fucking head in the sand and pretending these 'mistakes' aren't happening isn't something im prepared to do anymore. If we were performing well and fighting for trophies, then things like this could be ignored, and forgotten. But wait, were fucking not.

Tk421 yes, im talking to you.

I was, of course, taking the piss.

Sorry.