You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just been on the scales in my grundigs. Lost 3lb. I’ll take that!

Good start, sustainable is probably about 2lbs a week- you lose a lot of water in the early stages of something like Atkins or keto, which gives a bit of a false picture. To be consistent, it's probably best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you've had a pee. My weight can vary 3-4lbs a day depending on how much water I'm drinking. Also, try Greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, it does fill you up, and ignore the low fat options, they're often full of carbs instead.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Pidge said:

As a repeat offender yo-yo, make no real progress dickhead, I'll recommend this guy. Bit of a bell end on occasion, but speaks loudly and clearly a lot of the time. 

Go to the old podcast episodes from a few years back as well. The cookie diet one is good, a simple substitution and being honest about laziness making a difference for one woman.

Thanks mate; I have an ongoing issue in my left ankle/knee that is currently being looked into (nearly 4 yrs since injury and 18 months of being on lists for MRI/Physio etc)

So anything with impact exercise is just a no go atm. 

4 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Thanks mate; I have an ongoing issue in my left ankle/knee that is currently being looked into (nearly 4 yrs since injury and 18 months of being on lists for MRI/Physio etc)

Do you have access to a gym? I knackered my knee through running, but can tolerate the cross-trainer, rower and cycling with no problem.

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m sick of being fat. Every time I was weighing myself (not too often) the number was getting bigger. In the last few years I’ve gone from ten and a half stone to over fifteen stone and it’s all around my belly and midriff. One time I got put on some anti-depressants that saw me put a stone on in a month. They got fucked off sharpish. 

I said at New Year that I was gonna lose weight but January went by with me still doing fuck all except eat more fruit. Too much fruit. The start of February was my boy’s birthday, he was back from uni for the weekend. Takeaways galore. 

Since last Monday I’ve been eating carrot sticks and hummus for my tea every night, been snacking on trail mix instead of crisps and when I inevitably have the munchies late at night I’ve been having a bowl of muesli. 

Had a couple of exceptions. Chicken wrap on the way home from the pub on Friday (I’d normally get a large kebab or pizza) and then egg on toast (brown bread) on Saturday to try and ease my hangover, but other than that I’ve stuck to it well. 

Went the cinema last night. Instead of M&M’s and Doritos I was eating a little bag of Bombay Mix. Got the kids a KFC on the way back, ordered nothing for myself, came home and ate my carrots and hummus. 

I feel better for just trying, and I intend to stick to it. Haven’t weighed myself yet though, gonna give it a couple of weeks. 

Once I’ve shed a few pounds and I can wear some of my swimming shorts without splitting them open, I’m gonna get back into going down the baths three nights a week. Weights, running and cycling are all out of the question for me. 

This is radical change. I’ve never been on a diet in my life. 

Do you know how many calories per day you're eating with the changes you've made, compared to the per day total you were at before?

Because muesli and trail mix might be "healthier" than what you were eating before but they are pretty high in calories themselves. Might honestly be just the carrots and humus compared to what you were eating for that meal before, that is doing the job.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Do you know how many calories per day you're eating with the changes you've made, compared to the per day total you were at before?

Varies wildly, man. At the moment I can go a whole day without eating anything. Other days I’ll eat loads of processed shite for tea, then follow it up later with half a block of cheese on crackers and maybe a chocolate bar, and some strawberries, couple of bags of crisps…

I’ve turned into a greedy cunt, basically. Moaning about being fat whilst eating tons of shite. Stopping that and having a straightforward regular diet of “healthy” stuff is half the battle won, hopefully. 

I’m not here for too much advice. We’re all about to find out if the hummus and muesli diet can cure a lazy, fat man with minimal effort other than the actual eating. Swapping out the carrot sticks tonight for a bit of celery instead. Mad Monday, innit. Being a bad boy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fowlers God said:

That's kind of his point, impact exercise isn't a huge lever compared to walking around and diet. Has a breakdown of how we burn calories around 10 mins in.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Varies wildly, man. At the moment I can go a whole day without eating anything. Other days I’ll eat loads of processed shite for tea, then follow it up later with half a block of cheese on crackers and maybe a chocolate bar, and some strawberries, couple of bags of crisps…

I’ve turned into a greedy cunt, basically. Moaning about being fat whilst eating tons of shite. Stopping that and having a straightforward regular diet of “healthy” stuff is half the battle won, hopefully. 

I’m not here for too much advice. We’re all about to find out if the hummus and muesli diet can cure a lazy, fat man with minimal effort other than the actual eating. Swapping out the carrot sticks tonight for a bit of celery instead. Mad Monday, innit. Being a bad boy. 

Herbal tea is the answer 

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

As a repeat offender yo-yo, make no real progress dickhead, I'll recommend this guy. Bit of a bell end on occasion, but speaks loudly and clearly a lot of the time. 

Go to the old podcast episodes from a few years back as well. The cookie diet one is good, a simple substitution and being honest about laziness making a difference for one woman.

That's a damn good video, puts a lot of things in perspective. When I was running a lot a few years back, I thought I could eat what I want, drink several times a week, run through hangovers etc. Naturally, what happened was that I put on weight and my running got sluggish, then I fucked my knee and I'm still trying to lose that extra weight now. Diet is obviously very important, but I hadn't realised walking was so good, so I'll start doing that as well as the usual 3-4 gym/ spin sessions a week.

The guy was on Beard a couple of weeks back, he is a bit of a knob, but drily amusing too. It's good to see someone who doesn't mince their words and promise miracles through faddish things.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Because muesli and trail mix might be "healthier" than what you were eating before but they are pretty high in calories themselves. Might honestly be just the carrots and humus compared to what you were eating for that meal before, that is doing the job.

That's a good point. Snacking on stuff like that can ruin a diet if you have too much.

16 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just couldn’t wait to piss on my chips, could you? Is it any wonder we have an obesity problem on this forum?

Simply put, Turdsy, if you want to stuff your fat face with trail mix, make sure all your other meals are salad. 

Over a long period of about the past 3 years, I’ve lost about 3 stone and dropped approx 5 inches off my waist.

Want to lose a bit more and just get a bit fitter but I’ve plateaued between just before Christmas to now. Haven’t put any weight back on, thankfully. That’s definitely not down to diet and I reckon I’d have put some pounds back on if I hadn’t have developed a slight addiction to walking. I love it. Nice crisp, fresh air. Some tunes or an audiobook on the earphones. Happy days.

Today is the start of trying to improve my diet too. Intend to eat a lot more fruit and veg. And fish and other leaner proteins like chicken. Can’t be doing with the protein shakes and that. They give me the bad wildies! 

I think Instagram is really good for getting lower calorie/higher protein recipes. Normally accompanied with a video (usually with awful background music) showing you how to make the meal in question. And they’re not just boring chicken and rice etc. 

Some decent accounts are: 

_aussiefitness

chlo_fitx

neill_in_vs_out_nutrition

ellena_fit

alexskitchenbangers

zack.chug 

liz.bitesback (she’s quite fit too!)

fraser__reynolds

sylvestersweeneypt

"Diets" are a sack of shite.

Want to lose weight?

Burn more calories than you eat over the long haul and get a decent mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats.

About 1-2lb a week is a sustainable and healthy rate of fat loss, depending on where you are and helps ensure don't lose lean muscle mass too if getting enough protein.

If you have been eating piles of food and suddenly stop your body will quite quickly shed a bomb load of water it is storing - so early 'weight loss' will often look more dramatic than it really is - so don't worry about that, this passes really quickly and you'll soon settle into that 1-2lb a week sweet spot.

Eat pretty much what want outside of that, but be mindful of eating foods that satiate you as opposed to too many foods that don't and worse spike your insulin.

Get out where and when can and move....whatever form of 'exercise' you like/feel can do - including walking, walking is great.

The biggest thing is do not over restrict - if you do it is inevitable you will eventually cave in and undo any weight loss progress - the more we restrict, the more the desire to over indulge grows. Eat regularly, eat well and eat foods that satisfy you and fill you.....people who try to live on salad all week nearly always fail ultimately.

Another thing people do wrong often is swap stuff for the low calorie option then eat more of that option than they did the 'original' stuff - it just ends up being same if not worse and is often less tasty and nutritious. I've known people move from normal milk to skimmed and then drink 2 pints a day instead of the half they used to......seriously!

I speak as someone who lost 5 stone about 3 years ago now and has kept it off.

I eat chocolate when i want it, i love cakes/gateau, breads etc and i always make sure i have them as a part of my weekly eating habits.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Just couldn’t wait to piss on my chips, could you? Is it any wonder we have an obesity problem on this forum?

Shut it, tubs. I bet you'd still eat your chips after I'd pissed on 'em.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the last few years I’ve gone from ten and a half stone to over fifteen stone and it’s all around my belly and midriff.

You gained 60 pounds as a grown adult? That's a ton, no pun intended. And not easy - good thing you're shedding.

Was always skinny as fuck and able to eat anything I wanted until I entered my 30’s, I reckon. I’ve eaten loads of shite and ballooned up. Thanks for pointing that out, knobhead. It’s not my fault I’ve been too lazy to do anything about it. 

The real kick up the arse is looking at pictures of only a year or two ago and realising I wasn’t even close to as fat then as I am now. 

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you want to start losing weight immediately give up alcohol.

Beer probably helped fatten me up along the way. I’m only drinking once a week these days though, maximum. And it’s not beer, it’s shorts and Coca-Cola. I can’t abide drinking at home anymore and I go the ale house one night a week to let off some steam. No way I’m giving that up. 

Stopping smoking weed should help, theoretically, but I’ve dealt with the munchies well so far.