You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I don't think 2 lbs/week of weightloss is very sustainable. At least it wouldn't be for me!

I really admire the discipline of anyone who can burn 3000 calories/day while eating 2000, but it's simply unsustainable for most of us. And in my opinion, if it's not sustainable, then why bother? I know so many people who can lose 15 pounds when they put their minds to it for a few months, but then they gain it all back the second they stop.

For me, the "click" moment was when a doctor told me to only try to lose 1 pound a week. I was 50 pounds over my goal weight, so it was frustrating to hear that I'd need a year to do it, but I worked out the exact number of calories I could eat (500 calories less than you burn, essentially, there are loads of calculators online) and have held fast to that for a couple of years now. It took quite a while to drop it off, but it did come off little by little and once I reached the goal (well, I actually ended up 10 pounds above my original goal, but close enough), I've stayed there.

Exercise is essentially for health, not for weight loss. If you want to be healthy, you need to exercise. But if all you care about is weight loss, that's 99% just how much and what you eat. And drink, of course - probably half the battle for me was just recognising how many calories I was drinking, and immediately cutting that out and replacing it with diet drinks and water.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't think 2 lbs/week of weightloss is very sustainable. At least it wouldn't be for me!

I really admire the discipline of anyone who can burn 3000 calories/day while eating 2000, but it's simply unsustainable for most of us. And in my opinion, if it's not sustainable, then why bother? I know so many people who can lose 15 pounds when they put their minds to it for a few months, but then they gain it all back the second they stop.

For me, the "click" moment was when a doctor told me to only try to lose 1 pound a week. I was 50 pounds over my goal weight, so it was frustrating to hear that I'd need a year to do it, but I worked out the exact number of calories I could eat (500 calories less than you burn, essentially, there are loads of calculators online) and have held fast to that for a couple of years now. It took quite a while to drop it off, but it did come off little by little and once I reached the goal (well, I actually ended up 10 pounds above my original goal, but close enough), I've stayed there.

Exercise is essentially for health, not for weight loss. If you want to be healthy, you need to exercise. But if all you care about is weight loss, that's 99% just how much and what you eat. And drink, of course - probably half the battle for me was just recognising how many calories I was drinking, and immediately cutting that out and replacing it with diet drinks and water.

2lbs a week is absolutely sustainable for most people who are overweight and is the sweet spot IMO....especially for people who are a good bit over.

I am now barely 12st and could still eat 2,000 calories a day and lose 2lb a week - not that i want to or need to now, but if i was say 15st it would be a piece of piss to lose 2lbs a week.

Exercise/moving more is just one of the tools to help create a caloric deficit - which of course is the key to weight loss.

You can go at 1lb a week like you and that is all well and good, and fair do's and as you say to do that you need to create a 500 calorie a day deficit (1lb = 3500 cals) but to get the other 1lb a week all you'd need to do exercise wise is add in a burn of another 500 cals a day - easily achieved by fairly moderateish exercise each day.

A person (obviously depending on their size) burns between 100 and 200 calories just by walking for half an hour.

For my money racking up an hour a day of walking should be no great stretch for most people.....it can of course be done in chunks too - does not have to be done all on one day.

It is of course a fact that another additional effective way to lose weight, aside from reducing calorie intake, is increasing your activity level.

Unless you are physically incapable of doing so then I see no reason why anyone would not 1. Want to 2. Be able to.

I applaud your discipline going at 1lb a week - most people don't seem to have such discpline - the progress is deemed too slow and they become disheartened so they starve themselves and go down to doing daft stuff like really restricting food eating 1,500 (for example) a day, when an increase in activity could have the same effect quite easily and be much kinder to themselves in doing it and be less likely to rebound/fall off wagon etc.

But to each their own of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2015 at 16:48, lifetime fan said:

Ain't that the truth. I'd still like to get down to 12st and then see if I can be arsed to lose anymore.

Whilst I'm a shortarse I've always been 'square' in build so polo shirts are always a large and even skinny I weigh heavy.

I'm now at a point I just want to 'finish the job' so as well as the swimming I'm doing 100 press ups a day and 200 sit ups.

Fuck me this feels like a lifetime ago. 

I’m now at least 4st heavier and look a joke. 

Ever since I’ve been back from Dubai my weight has been going up. It’s amazing what beautiful weather, having your own pool to swim in every day and a beer costing ten quid a pint can do for you! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Back on the train.  For various reasons I've put on a couple of stone I'd really prefer not to have, so here we go again.  I've tried eating less, moving more but if someone lashes a pizza under my nose I'm inhaling it before they've cut it.  Had a few beers Saturday and still recovering from it with greasy food.  None of my polo shirts fit, I'm wearing jumpers for work in the belief I look slimmer in a jumper than a shirt (what the fucks that about?)

So, I'm turning back to exercise.  Age, frozen shoulder and knees that are made of dry spaghetti rules me out of the gym so it's long walks, more water and lowering my carbohydrate intake.  Lost a few stone on that in my twenties, now mid 40's so probably a longer slog.

Today is Day 1.  I'm about 200ml into my water and I've been eyeing up the eldest's chocolate peanuts.  Not going well.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

Back on the train.  For various reasons I've put on a couple of stone I'd really prefer not to have, so here we go again.  I've tried eating less, moving more but if someone lashes a pizza under my nose I'm inhaling it before they've cut it.  Had a few beers Saturday and still recovering from it with greasy food.  None of my polo shirts fit, I'm wearing jumpers for work in the belief I look slimmer in a jumper than a shirt (what the fucks that about?)

So, I'm turning back to exercise.  Age, frozen shoulder and knees that are made of dry spaghetti rules me out of the gym so it's long walks, more water and lowering my carbohydrate intake.  Lost a few stone on that in my twenties, now mid 40's so probably a longer slog.

Today is Day 1.  I'm about 200ml into my water and I've been eyeing up the eldest's chocolate peanuts.  Not going well.

I'm heading into my late 30's and it's a fucking nightmare. I lost a stone a few months ago after dieting for about 8 weeks. As soon as I started to eat normal again, it's all back on. I just can't be fucked eating like I was on the diet to stay slim(ish). It's no fun.

8 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Sounds like some of you need to get on something like Noom and work out why you eat as you do before you start your umpteenth diets.

Counting calories etc isn't the problem. I'm just a greedy twat that likes shit food and beer too much.

• Haha 1

Down 20 ibs since Christmas from 14 stone 5 to 12 13. Only drank five times since then when norm1ally I was pissed once a week and probably twice the odd week.

Have lost some muscle though not helped by a Shoulder injury which means I can't train chest or shoulders.

Hopefully thats settled down a bit and I'll be  OK to get back to it. Other than that need  increase my protein so chuck another 50 grams of protein a day in I think

• Upvote 3

Felt great last week after weeks of sticking to a training plan. Now 4 days in Amsterdam getting smashed and eating tonnes of beer, pizzas, bread and chips and I reckon I've undone most of the good work. Also woke up today with a stiff and painful back, for no apparent reason, feels like I've been in a car crash.

Can't be arsed going to work tomorrow! 

7 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Down 20 ibs since Christmas from 14 stone 5 to 12 13. Only drank five times since then when norm1ally I was pissed once a week and probably twice the odd week.

Have lost some muscle though not helped by a Shoulder injury which means I can't train chest or shoulders.

Hopefully thats settled down a bit and I'll be  OK to get back to it. Other than that need  increase my protein so chuck another 50 grams of protein a day in I think

Off work for a week first time since Xmas. Got pissed Saturday all day with my mates. Its my birthday so had two takeaways then drinking again tonight. Back on it soon.

To be fair the Mrs wanted a drink I did a 2.5 mile jog earlier

• 8 months later...

I’m sick of being fat. Every time I was weighing myself (not too often) the number was getting bigger. In the last few years I’ve gone from ten and a half stone to over fifteen stone and it’s all around my belly and midriff. One time I got put on some anti-depressants that saw me put a stone on in a month. They got fucked off sharpish. 

I said at New Year that I was gonna lose weight but January went by with me still doing fuck all except eat more fruit. Too much fruit. The start of February was my boy’s birthday, he was back from uni for the weekend. Takeaways galore. 

Since last Monday I’ve been eating carrot sticks and hummus for my tea every night, been snacking on trail mix instead of crisps and when I inevitably have the munchies late at night I’ve been having a bowl of muesli. 

Had a couple of exceptions. Chicken wrap on the way home from the pub on Friday (I’d normally get a large kebab or pizza) and then egg on toast (brown bread) on Saturday to try and ease my hangover, but other than that I’ve stuck to it well. 

Went the cinema last night. Instead of M&M’s and Doritos I was eating a little bag of Bombay Mix. Got the kids a KFC on the way back, ordered nothing for myself, came home and ate my carrots and hummus. 

I feel better for just trying, and I intend to stick to it. Haven’t weighed myself yet though, gonna give it a couple of weeks. 

Once I’ve shed a few pounds and I can wear some of my swimming shorts without splitting them open, I’m gonna get back into going down the baths three nights a week. Weights, running and cycling are all out of the question for me. 

This is radical change. I’ve never been on a diet in my life. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Myfitnesspal and aim to exceed your protein target. Hard to maintain that way but might give you leeway to enjoy a bit more than hummus 

I fell out the habit before I was meaning to and haven't started again this year. So time to get started again myself.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Myfitnesspal and aim to exceed your protein target. Hard to maintain that way but might give you leeway to enjoy a bit more than hummus 

Thanks for that. Had a look and took the free trial but I’m not gonna be one of those cunts taking pictures and logging everything. That’s just not me. Nevertheless, I’ll try and update it. 

If the diet I’ve put myself on works then I’ll stick to it. There are some decent hummus flavours out there. I’ll do it five or six days a week, allow myself the odd exception for one fat bastard meal. There are some faggots and minted lamb steaks in the freezer that nobody else in my house will eat

I lost a lot of weight last year after cutting down on ale and being consistent at gym.

One thing about the gym is seeing how healthy some of the older blokes are. One fella I've known 20 years is now 74. He'd pass for late 50s. He said to me " anytime I can't be arsed coming I look at other blokes my age and that gets me going again "

Eating hummus every day isn't going to be sustainable. Best thing you can do is count calories and stick to the total Myfitness pal tells you.

It's not even that bad weighing food as you'll be eating the same stuff mainly so it's already logged in there. So you just need to add it.

Definitely harder to lose the weight as you age though.

I did c25k for a week after Christmas until I went back to work. Just couldn't sustain it. When the weather gets better I'll be cycling to work again (8k round trip) a couple of times a week. 

I've lost a bit of weight since I've been trying my best to avoid over processed food. Making my own bread with 4 ingredients instead of buying bread with 12. 

I uses to count calories but can't be arsed now. Just want to look better naked 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Thanks for that. Had a look and took the free trial but I’m not gonna be one of those cunts taking pictures and logging everything. That’s just not me. Nevertheless, I’ll try and update it. 

If the diet I’ve put myself on works then I’ll stick to it. There are some decent hummus flavours out there. I’ll do it five or six days a week, allow myself the odd exception for one fat bastard meal. There are some faggots and minted lamb steaks in the freezer that nobody else in my house will eat

The main Myfitnesspal benefits should be free, I think. You want to set up your profile/goals and then use the calorie counter/diary. Don't bother with the blag social media bollocks.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m sick of being fat. Every time I was weighing myself (not too often) the number was getting bigger. In the last few years I’ve gone from ten and a half stone to over fifteen stone and it’s all around my belly and midriff. One time I got put on some anti-depressants that saw me put a stone on in a month. They got fucked off sharpish. 

I said at New Year that I was gonna lose weight but January went by with me still doing fuck all except eat more fruit. Too much fruit. The start of February was my boy’s birthday, he was back from uni for the weekend. Takeaways galore. 

Since last Monday I’ve been eating carrot sticks and hummus for my tea every night, been snacking on trail mix instead of crisps and when I inevitably have the munchies late at night I’ve been having a bowl of muesli. 

Had a couple of exceptions. Chicken wrap on the way home from the pub on Friday (I’d normally get a large kebab or pizza) and then egg on toast (brown bread) on Saturday to try and ease my hangover, but other than that I’ve stuck to it well. 

Went the cinema last night. Instead of M&M’s and Doritos I was eating a little bag of Bombay Mix. Got the kids a KFC on the way back, ordered nothing for myself, came home and ate my carrots and hummus. 

I feel better for just trying, and I intend to stick to it. Haven’t weighed myself yet though, gonna give it a couple of weeks. 

Once I’ve shed a few pounds and I can wear some of my swimming shorts without splitting them open, I’m gonna get back into going down the baths three nights a week. Weights, running and cycling are all out of the question for me. 

This is radical change. I’ve never been on a diet in my life. 

It may be worth asking what Donald eats and what workout plan he follows. They say he's ripped and muscular, everyone is saying it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Diet is just willpower and routine.

Like at times I don't feel like a kebab for my tea but when I look out the window and see some fat bastard walking the dog it spurs me on. One day I think, I'll be bigger than him.

1 hour ago, Fowlers God said:

Im a massive fat cunt and I dont know where to even begin anymore. 

As a repeat offender yo-yo, make no real progress dickhead, I'll recommend this guy. Bit of a bell end on occasion, but speaks loudly and clearly a lot of the time. 

Go to the old podcast episodes from a few years back as well. The cookie diet one is good, a simple substitution and being honest about laziness making a difference for one woman.

• Upvote 3

Another thing I've done (because I'm a nerd) is set up a basic Google form linked to a sheet with a chart tracking time/km/kg on diff exercises. Takes about 20 secs to log any exercise and at the end of the month I can see walk/cycle/lifting volume against last month and try to beat it in the next month.