You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa to Juve?

Rocky Sullivan

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Rafa rubbishes Juve deal claims - Liverpool FC

Rafa rubbishes Juve deal claims

31st Jan 2010 - Latest News

Rafael Benitez has today rubbished further press speculation linking him with a move to Serie A side Juventus.

"Contrary to reports in the Italian media this weekend, I want to make it absolutely clear I have no agreement with Juventus and have not and will not be meeting Juventus or their representatives or any other club," said the Liverpool manager.

"I have a long term contract with Liverpool and I'll repeat what I said on Friday that I am happy here and my only focus is to do my job as well as I can to get the team back into to the top four, beginning with the derby against Everton."

"How exactly would your like your arse handed to you sir, on a plate, or maybe a skillet?"

Just heard that Montse Benitez had a going away party at the Caldy Golf Club the other day.

God bless bluekipper and thier cab driving forumites.

Those Gerrard numbers are really interesting. Never really considered how many more he's scored in the the last few years.

When a player like him gets older, gets into his prime, starts taking penalties, almost every free kick etc I`d say its an natural progress.

Especially of you break them down and look at goals from open play vs set pieces and ake the opposition into consideration as well.

When a player like him gets older, gets into his prime, starts taking penalties, almost every free kick etc I`d say its an natural progress.

Especially of you break them down and look at goals from open play vs set pieces and ake the opposition into consideration as well.

Have you ever kissed a girl son?

Carra was a world class CB up until about 12-18 months ago. He reached heights under Rafa he never did unger GH.

Gerrard's goals:

98/99: 0 in 13

99/00: 1 in 31

00/01: 10 in 50

01/02: 4 in 45

02/03: 7 in 54

03/04: 6 in 47

28 goals in 240 games - a goal every 8.57 games or 4.6 goals a season

Rafa arrives:

04/05: 13 in 43

05/06: 23 in 53

06/07: 11 in 51

07/08: 21 in 52

08/09: 24 in 44

92 goals in 243 games - a goal every 2.64 games or 18.4 goals a season

As for your twisting of Torres' statistics to suit your agenda, how fucking pathetic are you? Are you seriously saying that Torres doesn't score more goals per game for us than he did for Atletico? Where are you getting 16 goals a season by the way? He has 62 in 104 games. Even if you stretch that out to count this season as a full season and you completely ignore the fact that he's missed half of the last two seasons he still averages over 20 goals a season.

I just outdid you at your own game you Dale Winton lookalike cunt.

Oh I say, that really is a thing of beauty

Sounds familiar - found this from 2004 - a week before he joined us..

Valencia coach Rafael Benitez has moved to quash speculation linking him to Liverpool by stating categorically that the intends to stay with the Spanish champions.

Although the Anfield board have reportedly put the Spaniard at the top of their list to take over from Gerard Houllier, who parted company with the club on Monday, Benitez says he has no interest in the position.

Speaking on Valencia-based Radio Nou, he said: "I am in no hurry to go to Inter Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid, or any other club. I want to stay at Valencia. It's already a big club."

Changing bizarrely to speak about himself in the third person, he added: "It's clear that Benitez is not looking for a team."

Under Benitez, who replaced Argentinian Hector Cuper in 2001, Valencia have become the foremost team in Spain's Primera Liga, even though they do not boast the spending power of traditional giants Real Madrid and Barcelona and are heavily in debt. They won both the domestic league title and the Uefa Cup in the season just ended and Benitez is believed to be keen to test his Valencia side against the continent's best in next season's Champions League.

Sources in Spain remain sceptical, however, viewing today's statement as little more than a smokescreen, and according to today's Liverpool Echo, the deal to bring Benitez to Anfield has already been done.

"Benitez will jump at the chance to follow Gerard Houllier into the Anfield hot-seat. He has already told associates he is relishing the prospect," they report.

"There are still negotiations to take place and technicalities to overcome, but the Kop will see Benitez take charge for Liverpool's first Premiership game in August.

"It would now take a monumental u-turn from the man himself to stop a deal going through over the next few weeks."

The club, however, refused to be drawn on the subject: "We are making no comment. Rick Parry is out of the country and no decision on the managerial side will be made until he is back."

Earlier this week Benitez muddied the waters by saying that although he is happy at Valencia he may consider a move.

"I am very happy here, but one day they are shouting your name and the next they are booing you," he said.

Dear Rafa, we wouldn't touch you with a barge pole.

Kissing 1000 girls is all well and good but what's your kiss-to-slap ratio?

I think the more telling stat would the the conscious/breathing/not made of plastic ratio

People saying he didn't sign good players and wasn't able to get the best from players.

Before Rafa arrived Carra was an average full back who many reds wanted out of the team. Gerrard averaged 5 goals a season and Torres averaged 15 before signing for us. Ask them if he can get the best out of players.

Rafa signed Reina for £6m, Agger for £5.5m, Yossi for £5m, Torres for £20m, Aurelio for free. Were they all a waste of money? How much are they worth now?

Well, in my case, I wasn't talking about individuals, I was talking about the collective. Do you think he's got the best out of the team, collectively, since he's been here?

I-own-you.gif

Well, in my case, I wasn't talking about individuals, I was talking about the collective. Do you think he's got the best out of the team, collectively, since he's been here?

On and off he has, never consistently I suppose. He hasn't this season alright, I think outside factors have played a large part as well though.

Carra was a world class CB up until about 12-18 months ago. He reached heights under Rafa he never did unger GH.

But he`s still an average fullback and his prime years as a player have been unde Rafa not GH, especially in the CB position.

Gerrard's goals:

98/99: 0 in 13

99/00: 1 in 31

00/01: 10 in 50

01/02: 4 in 45

02/03: 7 in 54

03/04: 6 in 47

28 goals in 240 games - a goal every 8.57 games or 4.6 goals a season

Rafa arrives:

04/05: 13 in 43

05/06: 23 in 53

06/07: 11 in 51

07/08: 21 in 52

08/09: 24 in 44

92 goals in 243 games - a goal every 2.64 games or 18.4 goals a season

Before I start to break down these numbers I guess we all agree that a player of Gerrards calibre is supposed to improve his game as he gets older and gets more experience and becomes a key figure in the team as players will look for him when they can in areas where you usually get the goals from.

You think Rafa has improved Gerrard "massively" I guess since you have used so much time on this so lets take a look.

First I will concentrate on league performances as thats the "one" constant where we can actually measure the seasons up against each other.

I do not see any significance in using his numbers before the season he was 20 years old if I`m going to compare it to his "prime years" so lets start with the 00/01 season.

League:

00/01: 33(29+4) - 7 goals - 5 o.p - 2 d.b - 0 pen

01/02: 28(26+2) - 3 goals - 2 o.p - 1 d.b - 0 pen

02/03: 34(32+2) - 5 goals - 4 o.p - 1 d.b - 0 pen

03/04: 34(34+0) - 4 goals - 3 o.p - 0 d.b - 1 pen

-----------------------------------------------------

Rafa Benitez and Xabi Alonso joins the club.

04/05: 30(28+2) - 7 goals - 3 o.p - 4 d.b - 0 pen

05/06: 32(32+0) - 10 goals - 6 o.p - 2 d.b - 2 pen

06/07: 36(35+1) - 7 goals - 5 o.p - 0 d.b - 2 pen

07/08: 34(31+3) - 11 goals - 5 o.p - 3 d.b - 3 pen

08/09: 31(30+1) - 16 goals - 10 o.p - 1 d.b - 5 pen

------------------------------------------------------

Xabi Alonso is sold by Rafa Benitez.

09/10: 18(17+1) - 5 goals - 2 o.p - 1 d.b - 2 pen

So when we look a this, could it be argued that the main reason Gerrard has got more goals since Rafa took over simply is down to the fact he has got older and because of this should improve as a player coming into his prime, he got the opportunity to take the penalties and is the one usually taking our free kicks.

When we also know that the two seasons he has scored most goals in open play he had a free role roaming from the right and a free role just behind Torres then I`m not so sure Rafa`s influence is as obvious as you make it out to be.

Gerrard could have scored the goals from dead balls and penalties if he played as a right back so I`m not so sure its because Rafa has improved massively as a player compared to what another half decent manage would be able to do.

His goals scored from open play do not really differ that much apart from the fact they went up a bit with Alonso in the team and now that he is gone they have gone down again.

As for your twisting of Torres' statistics to suit your agenda, how fucking pathetic are you? Are you seriously saying that Torres doesn't score more goals per game for us than he did for Atletico? Where are you getting 16 goals a season by the way? He has 62 in 104 games. Even if you stretch that out to count this season as a full season and you completely ignore the fact that he's missed half of the last two seasons he still averages over 20 goals a season.

I just outdid you at your own game you Dale Winton lookalike cunt.

Tores has scored 50 league goals for us, thats an average of 16,66 each season.

If we look at Torres numbers back to the 02/03 season these are number of goals he got for Atletico in the league 13, 19, 16, 13, 14.

Thats 15 goals on average pr season.

On top of that I would say we are a better team than Atletico so I would be suprised if he did not better his stats playing for us.

For your inclusion of different Cup competitions in your comparison with Atletico when you probably know full well that Torres only played 4 Cup games for Atletico over 5 seasons, lets just say I will not get into the validity of that one especially not when you talk about season averages.

Before you make such bold statements as above again you honestly need to do better.

The "ha! That showed you" brigade, actually.

But then you already knew that.

Phew, that nasty Juventus gone for good.

Not that they wouldn't be right if they did, but I don't think anyone has, have they?

As an aside, I don't even know what noise a Crow makes

Not that they wouldn't be right if they did, but I don't think anyone has, have they?

As an aside, I don't even know what noise a Crow makes

I tried to go back and change it to "gloat" but it wouldn't let me!

Something like "Brorrrraaaarrrrrgh! Brorrrraaaarrrrrgh!" isn't it? But then I'm no Percy Throwup, like.

You said something about arses being handed to people, when that crap statement did the usual weavaround and left numerous doubts unanswered as atk described.