You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Im bored.

As a result im watching the Charlton v Brentford game. The 'pundits' were raving about this young lad from Charlton before the game - and having witnessed the first half hour, he looks ace. Granted its League 1 football but he's only 17 and looks streets above anything else on show here. He's strong, quick, bags of energy, passes brilliantly and strike's a mean dead ball.

Wonder how long before he goes to Villa

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a Hammer and really wants to go to West Ham.

I was at my niece's party in the summer and I mey a friend of the family's new fiance.

He is a Charlton season ticket holder so I made a point of asking about Shelvey as I knew he was boss on FM so I wanted a proper supporters prospective.

He said they all know they cant keep a hold of him for too long and that he really is streets ahead of most of the team.

He's a Hammer and really wants to go to West Ham.

I was at my niece's party in the summer and I mey a friend of the family's new fiance.

He is a Charlton season ticket holder so I made a point of asking about Shelvey as I knew he was boss on FM so I wanted a proper supporters prospective.

He said they all know they cant keep a hold of him for too long and that he really is streets ahead of most of the team.

I could tell that from the first 15 mins of todays game.

Seriously - we could do a lot worse than taking a look at these diamonds in the lower leagues and putting them alongside the like's of Gerrard to nurture and enhance their obvious talent. We never seem to take these kind of gamble's and always seem to plump for a foreigner who, more often than not, isn't up to the job.

Take a look at Joleon Lescott, Ashley Young and Aaron Ramsey (although its debateable how good this kid is) as proof that good players do exist outside the top flight.

I cant imagine that a player like Shelvey would be mega money - and surely Charlton wouldn't stand in his way if a big move came up.

Charlton are skint as well.

I'd love us to start gambling on players from the lower leagues but it wont happen.

Shelvey would be what £5m tops and you could probably get that spread based on caps and appearences.

Aye, but did we not get Garcia and Benayoun for about that?

If Shelvey turned into a Rooney or Gerrard then fair enough, but English kids are so fucking expensive when you're only hoping they might turn into a player.

Aye, but did we not get Garcia and Benayoun for about that?

If Shelvey turned into a Rooney or Gerrard then fair enough, but English kids are so fucking expensive when you're only hoping they might turn into a player.

Fair point well made but its strange how nearly all the other clubs would happily take a punt on a lower league talent, Spurs did it with Naughton this season, even Arsenal and the Mancs do it - but we never seem to. The only player i remember plucking from lower league football is when we signed Mark Kennedy. Now he was fairly shit but we took a chance and im sure we made our money back when he left so there was no harm done, and nothing lost.

• 7 months later...