You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

How do you know what Alonso's grievance's are Ian?

Have you spoken to Xabi personally?

I am just curious as a few people on here and in the non internet world are saying "I know exactly what is up with Xabi ya know mate" and I can't help but believe it is all hearsay.

As Glen C says below, it really is pointless getting into all of that. People will believe what they want to believe anyway.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redrosetints ruling at the moment. Gang rep the fucker people will you, he's keeping the thread sane.

How is he ruling, he is talking complete shite telling every myth there is about Barry which sadly has no backing in the real world.

Complete nonsense is what it is, no wonder you think he makes sense.

I had higher thoughts about redrosetints by the way, I looks like I might have been wrong.

I'm not running any kind of line, just stating what Alonso's grievences are. There's always two sides of the story but for me I would say that one of the most important traits that a manager has to have, is being able to keep his best players happy.

In this case, he hasn't and I think it may prove to be a mistake, only time will tell. I'm not demonising him though, he's a human and thus will make mistakes I don't see why people get so defensive about it.

Thats a fair point about a managers role, it is indeed to keep his best players happy, but as part of a grander scheme which is also about ensuring the players are on the same page and pulling in the same direction. Without knowing whats pissed Rafa off, its a bit hard to understand the full picture, non ? but would it be so bad if Rafa just decided he didnt rate Xabi as much as he'd had two, by his standards, poor seasons ? Another part of the managers job, being to make the squad the strongest it can be and moving on players who aren't up to it.

Im not being defensive of Rafa particularly but being inquisitive, I'm asking, as an LFC fan and wanting the best for the club, what is the real story ?

As with other stories this past 18 months or so, there is lots of detail about what others think/feel or have said about Rafa, but very little about what Rafa views are or Rafas side of the story. Therefore, its natural for me, wanting to know the truth for the best of the club and what happened to try to collect both sides of the argument and make a judgement from there.

For me too many opinions about Rafa have been formed on the basis of just one side of the story. Perhaps that why it seems I'm being defensive, Im really not, I just want to be armed with as many facts as possible before I make a opinion on my manager a player etc

For example, Im at a loss to explain why Rafa had so much shite this season, given the on field positions, but having just read Brian Reades book, I realise Noel White has put the boot in on two occasions now, once to get rid of Dalglish, by undermining him and once with Rafa, only when he crossed Rafa, White had to leave. With Parry also known to not be a fan of Rafa, you've two very senior board members with an axe to grind and its in all our interests to understand whats real and whats agenda driven by people in high places. Surely its not a coincidence that as Rafa and Parry fought for control and White was ousted, that a negative whispering campaign started against Rafa and that Rafas image has plummeted amongst many of the local support, exactly those, who would be on the receiving end of snippets of biased info from on high.

So right now, if Im defensive of Rafa its through wanting to know the full story and it may be in the future I too will be questioning Rafa. But right now, I feel the shite to success pendulum has swung far to much toward the shite, and for no obvious reason so i want to know why.

How is he ruling, he is talking complete shite telling every myth there is about Barry which sadly has no backing in the real world.

Complete nonsense is what it is, no wonder you think he makes sense.

I had higher thoughts about redrosetints by the way, I looks like I might have been wrong.

Oh come on Code, you posted stats on Barry Vs Parker and said they were identical. All i did was point out that they were similar apart from in the Goals and Assists column, where Barry had 22 and 21 and Parker had 5 and 4. It wasnt nonsense it was clear and factual !

You only think he's talking sense because you agree with him.

isnt that how it works though Ted ? When I agree with you I think you talk sense.

Got any stats to back that up?

NOPE

He's talking sense Withnail.

I`ve posted the stats several times, but here is one for you, Barry scored his first goal from open play last season in mid April while he was playing his role as an advanced midfielder.

Fuckin great stuff, I really wonder how we could cope without all the goals he contributes with.

Oh come on Code, you posted stats on Barry Vs Parker and said they were identical. All i did was point out that they were similar apart from in the Goals and Assists column, where Barry had 22 and 21 and Parker had 5 and 4. It wasnt nonsense it was clear and factual !

In the main I agreed with what you said about Barry vs Parker, but when Barry`s goals are brought up as an argument I kind of see red because of stuff like I posted above and like Rashid and others pointed out earlier, around 3/4 of his goals from penalties.

In the main I agreed with what you said about Barry vs Parker, but when Barry`s goals are brought up as an argument I kind of see red because of stuff like I posted above and like Rashid and others pointed out earlier, around 3/4 of his goals from penalties.

You never did get back to me on the fact that minute for minute Lucas whoops Parker in just about every category.

But so do Lampard and Gerrard, I dont see anyone belittling their totals because of it. Neither does that address the Assists column either.

Textbook stuff. Page 36 I believe.

bent-stats2.jpg

I did, he does not.

hehe

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I suggest you check your working and pay particular attention to assists, tackles won, attempts created, total shots, total shots on target, etc etc

But so do Lampard and Gerrard, I dont see anyone belittling their totals because of it. Neither does that address the Assists column either.

Gerrard and Lampard score a lot more from open play though.. majority is from open play. Barry (as code said) scored his first open play goal in April yet you said that was a major improvement on Xabi!

Gerrard and Lampard score a lot more from open play though.. majority is from open play. Barry (as code said) scored his first open play goal in April yet you said that was a major improvement on Xabi!

Please, dont drag me back in, please ......

Where did I say Barry was a major improvement on Xabi ? Please, make it stop , show me where I said that.

You wont be able to because I didnt say that. Your countering an argument and opinion I didnt offer.

I said this ......

i see it the other way around.

Individually, Gerrard has no equal in that 10 role, none. Crucially, however, the crux of why it would be folly to move Gerrard is that G&T are world class individually but as a pair noone gets close, they are simply the best attackign partnership in the world.

On the other hand, while Xabi is an excellent player, there are better players and players who have different strengths than Xabi would could be just as effective.

So while it would have been a heavy heart, I think Barrys goals, would have compensated the loss of Xabis passing, but even Kaka, Ronaldo or Messi wouldnt replace Gerrard.

Lampard and Gerrard score loads from open play though, that a major difference.

I`ve gone through Barry`s assists earlier as well, most of them have come from corners or free kicks out wide, so the reality is that he gets very few goals from open play and very few assists through the middle which is what a few posters like to use as a stick to beat Alonso with.

Another difference is that he has had Carew and Laursen (Mellberg) to aim at, the first two excellent attacking headers of the ball, we do sadly not posess the same qualities in the box in the attacking third so I think Barry will get significantly less assists with us.

So when we add this togheter with the fact Barry is one of the worst passers among the CM`s on the top half of the table and that he makes loads of faults, more in one season than Alonso does in two and how we struggle at defensive set pieces I`m overjoyed by the fact we ducked Barry.

He is so overrated its untrue, but just wait and see this season, hsi stock amongs Liverpool fans will fall faster than Drogba if the wind changes direction.

Code 72 - I marvel at your ability to flog a dead horse. Barry does not play for LFC. LFC did not make a bid for him this year.

If the only point of your tedious comparisons is to stoke up resentment against Rafa for agreeing to accept offers for Alonso last year, then please note that Alonso wanted away before Rafa revealed his interest in Barry as his replacement. It was only after Alonso realised that no club was willing to pay Rafa's price for him that Alonso started to complain that he should not have to compete with or be compared to Barry.

As a result of this little drama, Barry stayed at Villa and the lost opportunity for Villa cost them about 5 million for the season year. Alonso stayed at LFC and bucked up his game. It was great management by Rafa. He not only managed the team brilliantly he also caused Alonso to improve.

Alonso wants to move again but so far no club has made an offer of any kind let alone the kind of figure that might tempt LFC to replace a much improved player.

Personally I would not trust Alonso to survive another season without major injury and I don't believe he is irreplaceable. I think we could improve on him as long as we had enough money and enough time to plan the change.

I think it a better idea to keep him for one year, hope he avoids injury and has a good World Cup and then maximise his selling price next year.

When it comes down to it, for better or for worst, we didnt buy Barry. Rafa for whatever reason did not bid past his valuation of the player even though we have more than the 8 million that has said to be Rafas bid.

Since then I have not cared less about Barry. He has the potential to play in a good team but I think he should of stayed at Villa where his is more suited. At City he will either fade or adapt and become a good player for them.

In any case comparing Barry to Xabi is pointless as we are dealing with "ifs" and "buts". Alonso is not going anyway,

When it comes down to it, for better or for worst, we didnt buy Barry. Rafa for whatever reason did not bid past his valuation of the player even though we have more than the 8 million that has said to be Rafas bid.

Since then I have not cared less about Barry. He has the potential to play in a good team but I think he should of stayed at Villa where his is more suited. At City he will either fade or adapt and become a good player for them.

In any case comparing Barry to Xabi is pointless as we are dealing with "ifs" and "buts". Alonso is not going anyway,

Quoted for emphasis.

Would Alonso have left last summer if Real madrid had been in for him, rather than Juve or Fenerbahce? i doubt he would have stayed.

If you cannot see that a player with 3 years left on his lucrative contract saying "I don't know where I'll be next season" is disrespectful to his current club and his legion of fans, then fair enough. But don't try to excuse it. You wouldn't if it was Gerrard or Kuyt or Yossi, so why should you for Xabi?

I think Alonso would only leave us for Barca or Madrid.

I don't see Xabi going to any other Big European Clubs, i.e Bayern,Milan Clubs or Juve.

Would Alonso have left last summer if Real madrid had been in for him, rather than Juve or Fenerbahce? i doubt he would have stayed.

If you cannot see that a player with 3 years left on his lucrative contract saying "I don't know where I'll be next season" is disrespectful to his current club and his legion of fans, then fair enough. But don't try to excuse it. You wouldn't if it was Gerrard or Kuyt or Yossi, so why should you for Xabi?

A lot of this Rafa bashing comes from Bascombe spreading Chinese Whispers,if people are gullible enough to hang on to every Bascombe word that's there fault.

As someone said earlier "do you support Liverpool or Xabi Alonso,great pro that Alonso is, I know where my loyalties lay