You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds and Reading festival picks...

Chris

Owen and Pete, I know you were there, but not sure aboot anyone else? Who'd you see and who ruled it?

Ruleage...

Rage - one of the greatest things I've ever seen in my life. You know usually like the front middle section of the crowd goes off? Here, EVERYONE went off, the built of the opening bass of Testify and then into the guitar part and boom! Everyone in the air. I'd rushed down from Less Than Jake so couldn't get close. By the time Bulls on Parade had finished I was front and centre. One of the most violent pits I've ever been in, and I totally had to pick my battles after being caught at the bottom of a massive circle pit collapse during...

Less Than Jake - Seen them eight times, was delighted they brought them forward to only the end clashed with Rage. Johnny Quest thinks we're sellouts is the greatest American Ska Punk song of all time! My knee bent the wrong way on the floor, half scary, half awesome. Picked myself up, crowd surfed myself out and legged it to Rage...

The Gaslight Anthem - Only discovered this band a few weeks ago thanks to a tip from my mate at Metal Hammer. My god, they rule so much. Like the best of the Boss meets Jimmy Eat World. Great reflective lyrics give me a warm glow inside. Myspace.com/thegaslightanthem

Fighting With Wire - Owen's boy Cahir was one of the highlights of the whole thing for me. They were brilliant. myspace.com/fightingwithwire

Seasick Steve - What a man

Metallica - 'nuff said. Watching Kirk and James slay together on the reverb heavy solos is utter perfection.

Tenacious D - Fuck yeeeaaaauuh

Bullet for my Valentine - "Lots of indie bands today, that's enough of that shit. We're Bullet for My Valentine and we're here to play British Heavy Metal" Came out like they had something to prove and were the best I'd seen them in two years.

Anti Flag - was never a huge fan. I am now.

Goldfinger - More brilliant Ska!

Taking Back Sunday - Slightly under-par for them, still one of my favourite bands. No "you're so last summer" :(

You guys?

Edited by Chris

Saw most of the bands you did Chris. Gaslight Anthem were so good I bought their album yesterday & it's absolute quality.

Metallica were the greatest

The dude just seemed so genuine, I think I developed a bit of a man-crush on him. They seemed genuinely chuffed to be there, and the song "I'd have called you Woody, Joe" where he starts off with Stand by Me was one of the best first-listen songs I've ever heard. I'm currently iTunesing everything they have on there.

Basically speaking, I'm in love with them.

The dude just seemed so genuine, I think I developed a bit of a man-crush on him. They seemed genuinely chuffed to be there, and the song "I'd have called you Woody, Joe" where he starts off with Stand by Me was one of the best first-listen songs I've ever heard. I'm currently iTunesing everything they have on there.

Basically speaking, I'm in love with them.

Yeah, shame he was half a manc though!

Not stopped listening the album since yesterday afternoon when I got in. Might have to hunt down their first album as well.

Other bands I saw:

Feeder - not a big fan but I actually really enjoyed their set. I was surprised how many of their songs I actually knew. A lot more rocking live.

Avenged Sevenfold - Really like them but was a bit miffed they only played 4 songs. Also the girl they got out from the crowd was rubbish, I'd have been better! Saw they cancelled Reading so glad I at least got to see them.

Biffy Clyro - Absolute quality. Furthest I got to the front all weekend. Made even better when I was walking back to get a beer my old man called to say Gerrard had scored a 94th min winner!

QOTSA - Decent but I expected better. I'm a massive fan but was a bit disappointed at the set list. No 'Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret'?

And finally RATM - I've had a few discussions with people about this, I was underwhelmed by them. I stood a bit further back and, in contrast to Chris, where I was stood nobody seemed to care. I got the impression people just watched them to say 'I've seen RATM' to their mates. The only time half the people opened their mouths was to 'Fuck you I won't do what you tell me' - and that was the last song. It also wasn't very loud where I was stood.

I think being a massive Metallica fan impacted my views on QOTSA & RATM. Metallica were simply brilliant on Friday. I was hoping / expecting QOTSA & RATM to go close to topping them on Saturday but they were nowhere near close IMO.

Friday:

Yeasayer - pretty ace singalong band, and it was easy to get near the front for them. I cant remember much though, I was wasted at the time.

Dropkick Murphys - they ruled, the only bad thing was I was wearing jeans without deep pockets so I was afraid to get stuck into the pit incase my wallet went walkies.

Unfortunately after that, I went back to the tent and went to sleep, missing Pendulum and The D. Devastated.

I did catch about half an hour of Metallica who were decent and then CSS, which to be honest I cant remember anything of apart from pretty lights and a nice beat to dance to.

Saturday:

Frank Turner - one of my festival highlights. Thats the 3rd time I've seen him now and each time I go he is consistently amazing. I absolutely love the song about his friend that died, and he finished on Ballad for my and my Friends which is my favourite song by him. Just fantastic.

Serj Tankian - The surprise of the weekend. I dont know much of his stuff but it was ace to listen to. Covering Abbas "Money Money Money" was a stroke of genius.

QOTSA - Pretty good without blowing me away.

Rage - Not as good as I was expecting, but still decent nonetheless.

Sunday:

Seasick Steve - Another festival highlight. The guy is just a legend, the song about his stepdad and his dead dog were immense.

Raconteurs - wasn't really paying attention, just sitting on the grass at the back of the crowd but they were chilled to listen to when I couldn't think properly due to the amount of substances I had taken.

Justice - just amazing.

Manics - decent enough to end the festival.

And seen as the thread unintentionally says festival pics, I'll throw a few up anyway:

l_7f02673117a617fccb24c39439081ec8.jpg

l_53176a27b61bfa8c18f0a357aaea05c5.jpg

l_ba67e31a5f99c4d72d046aa18fa958b8.jpg

l_1ccac8e7c28175e6cdb37c4e1cabe1ba.jpg

l_7ebd7097e78b6d7f3ce7142d71b458b0.jpg

Friday:

Dropkick Murphys - they ruled, the only bad thing was I was wearing jeans without deep pockets so I was afraid to get stuck into the pit incase my wallet went walkies.

Instead of singing the actual lyrics to their last song, did you sing FOAR instead?

My random festival musings......

Hadouken! - on the friday kicked ass big time - got all the little indie kids going and for me kicked the festival off.

Tenacious D - I just didnt get - these guys should do the uk panto circuit this season, much more appropriate to them!

Metallica - very good but saw them last year and they didnt do anything I didnt expect (except the Last Caress/So What encore - that was ace!).

The Enemy - I was close to the front and enjoyed it quite a bit. Lead singer is still a twat and I threw a sausage roll into the mosh pit.

Rage - It seemed right hand of the stage the sound was good and the crowd loved it, left side sound was shit and people werent bothered. I appreciated them more than in 2000 when they were there.

Subways - I love them (bassist included), but they made the most effort of all to get the crowd going, if Zak Whatshisname out of rage would have tried this hard there'd probably have been riots.

Killers - I would appreciate if someone could tell me why I bothered.......

Young Knives - they were funny but after 3 days I just stood, swayed a bit and was a bit glad when they were over. They seem to have funny songs though so I may investigate further.

That was the end of my review - I did see more bands but these were the highlights and lowlights (Killers and Tenacious D take note....)

My mate Richard went and he said he'd never been so disappointed (by Reading). The line up was immense (I think he has similar tastes to Chris) however he said the atmosphere and sound quality was very poor, especially for RATM. Like mentioned above, he was near the back, so perhaps you needed to be closer to enjoy it.

A girl I know is a staunch Leeds goer and said that she could never go to Glastonbury because it's too "commercial."

Yeah, it's best to stick with the CARLING weekend then.

Carling dont sponsor it anymore so the laughs on you Faustus!

Only joking, I know what you mean. I go to Leeds every year and Glasto when I can get bloody tickets and Leeds is well more commercial. It was quite ironic having RATM play and then going to the shirt stand to see they wanted £18 a shirt.

Fighting With Wire - Owen's boy Cahir was one of the highlights of the whole thing for me. They were brilliant. myspace.com/fightingwithwire

The Cadbury's mini Grohl.©

They were excellent at Truck also.

I'm gutted I didn't go, just to see Rage, does anyone know why they weren't allowed to show it on the BBC?

© Frank Turner, 2008.

No Carling and Strongers this year! Tuborg and Gaymers! Woot!

That Tuborg was rubbish. Had about 8 of them on the Saturday and it barely made a dent. Is it usually like that or did they water it down for the festival?

It was quite ironic having RATM play and then going to the shirt stand to see they wanted £18 a shirt.

Or the £35 they wanted for that black and red Nike style football shirt. Was smart though.