You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THREE-WAY VAART FIGHT

by CHRIS BASCOMBE

DUTCH forward Rafael van der Vaart will trigger a £15million scrap for his services between Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool.

Anfield boss Rafa Benitez is the latest to show interest in the 25-year-old playmaker.

Megabucks Chelsea are already on his trail.

And United will turn their attention to Van der Vaart if Cristiano Ronaldo leaves Old Trafford for Real Madrid.

The Hamburg star’s versatility makes him an attractive recruit for Benitez, who is desperate to fill the No 7 shirt vacated by Harry Kewell.

Financial constraints will dictate whether Liverpool can seriously compete with United and Chelsea for the player.

Valencia’s David Silva and Middlesbrough’s Stewart Downing are other striking options being eyed by Benitez.

Spurs agree £20m deal for Spanish star David Villa

By Steve Stammers 22/06/2008

Spurs have agreed a £20million deal to sign the goal king of Euro 2008 - Spain's David Villa.

The Valencia star, 26, has been the striking sensation of the tournament.

Villa scored a hat-trick against Russia and a last-minute winner against Sweden. He has been the number one target for Tottenham manager Juande Ramos and Spurs have made it clear they will pay the £20m asking price.

Do you really think Arshavin will go for £10 million? I don't. Where would we accommodate him? He plays in the role where Gerrard is playing and, quite frankly, Gerrard is much better than him. 20+ goals and 20+ assists last season from Gerrard. The lad is phenomenal. The same with Van Der Vaart, where would we play him? To break up the almost telepathic relationship of Gerrard and Torres would be stupid, imo.

Do you really think Arshavin will go for £10 million? I don't. Where would we accommodate him? He plays in the role where Gerrard is playing and, quite frankly, Gerrard is much better than him. 20+ goals and 20+ assists last season from Gerrard. The lad is phenomenal. The same with Van Der Vaart, where would we play him? To break up the almost telepathic relationship of Gerrard and Torres would be stupid, imo.

Arshavin on his way | Football | The Observer

"....would cost £10m - the fixed price in his contract should he move."

On the left hand side in a 4-3-3.

Totally agreed and I hope we do.

If Arshavin does have a £10m release clause and David Villa is available for £20m then we should be in a position to purchase 2 genuine world class talents who would significantly enhance our 1st XI through player sales.

I think this we need a 'in the hole' player is bullshit.

Gerrard has just played there this season and scored 20+ goals whilst the player he was helping set up as scored 30+ goals.

For what its worth i think the three players mentioned in Villa, Arshavin and Villa can all play along the front three so dont need to be played behind the striker.

Gerrard has just played there this season and scored 20+ goals whilst the player he was helping set up as scored 30+ goals.

For what its worth i think the three players mentioned in Villa, Arshavin and Villa can all play along the front three so dont need to be played behind the striker.

Exactly. Arshavin looked very effective when he drifted out to the left & caused the Dutch Back 4 havoc.

I agree. I like the idea of having three players who can all interchange with eachother throughout the game without leaving us unbalanced.

The 2 "wide" forwards who flank the middle striker should all be interchangeable. This would give us more flexibility and more unpredictability. Rafa tried a front 3 away at Reading earlier in the season when we lost 3-1, but didn't have the personnel that day to make it work. Players like Van Der Vaart, Babel, Kuyt, Arshavin, Villa and Torres would all be comfortable playing in that system whereas players like Crouch who was asked to play wide left of a front 3 struggled that day.

If Arshavin does have a £10m release clause and David Villa is available for £20m then we should be in a position to purchase 2 genuine world class talents who would significantly enhance our 1st XI through player sales.

It is certainly a nice thought. We'd certainly have some fire power in a side which included them two, Torres & Gerrard.

Although I've only just started posting here, I've lurked for a while Coop and am in total agreement with you on this.

We don't need another player to play in 'the hole'. We already have the best one going.

Moving Gerrard back besides Mascherano or into Kuyt's posisition would weaken us. The team is set up to play to Gerrards and Torres strengths. At the end of last season it worked brilliantly.

Villa, Arshavin, Silva etc all have enough about them to play wide, drift inside and cause havoc. I'd be delighted with any of these 3, athough I have listed them in the order I'd take them

Babel will be a star for us next season and can quite easily swap flanks over onto the right.

If its correct about Rafa being given £20 million from the owners then why can we not keep Alonso and from the player sales raise the cash for Vdv or Arshavin and use the cash from the owners for Villa.

With two of those players mentioned added to the team then we would without a doubt make a serious title challenge.

I think it would make more sense to play Arshavin on the right hand side of the 3 behind Torres seeing as he is a player who is accustomed to playing the attacking midfield role and has quite obviously shown he is a star there than David Villa who is a striker and we're all hoping would be able to play on the right handside of the 3 behind Torres

I would sign Van der vaart and Arshavin out of those 3 before Villa.

I believe signing Villa would require a massive change in formation to get the best out of him.

Signing Arshavin (tucked in on the right) Van der vaart (tucked in on the left) would still allow Gerrard and Torres to keep there partnership plus we would have added goals and guile to our attack and then we can placate the attacking fullback obsesssion by letting them believe Carragher and Dossena will overlap the two "wide" men

Makes more sense to me in all honesty

___________Reina_____________

_______Carragher__Agger______

Arbeloa________________Dossena

_______Mascherano_____

_Gerrard__________Van Der Vaart_

____Villa__Torres__Babel____

Not bad Steve mate but i admit i would go more like this.

---------------Reina-----------------

Finnan---Carragher---Agger----Dossena

---------Alonso---Mascherano--------

---------------Gerrard----------------

------Villa-----Torres-------Arshavin/Vdv

Obviously if Rafa persists in selling Alonso for Barry then putting Barry in Mascherano position and moving the Chief to the right.

The width is provided from the full backs and both Villa and Arshavin/Vdv are more then capable of drifting out wide if need be.

When i was typing that team out you realise the strength we would have on the bench in Skrtel, Babel, Kuyt and Lucas.

Not bad Steve mate but i admit i would go more like this.

---------------Reina-----------------

Finnan---Carragher---Agger----Dossena

---------Alonso---Mascherano--------

---------------Gerrard----------------

------Villa-----Torres-------Arshavin/Vdv

Obviously if Rafa persists in selling Alonso for Barry then putting Barry in Mascherano position and moving the Chief to the right.

The width is provided from the full backs and both Villa and Arshavin/Vdv are more then capable of drifting out wide if need be.

When i was typing that team out you realise the strength we would have on the bench in Skrtel, Babel, Kuyt and Lucas.

I'd go with that team. Looks very tasty. I think you make a v good point about the strength of the bench. You only have to look at the quality of the Man United and Chelsea benches to see that it is imporatnt to have genuine quality in reserve.