You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa finally getting what he wants out of his "skwad"

Chris

Seems over the last few weeks, when we've rested top players away at Arsenal and away at Fulham that we've rested players and still smiled about fantastic performances from the players who have come in.

This is possibly the first time in Rafa's reign that this has happened consecutively, to such a high level, and it has to be a good sign that fringe players are finally doing the business for us when called upon.

Is it perhaps because we seem to have a much more settled first choice side at the moment and the players who are coming in, like Crouch, Yossi and Pennant, finally know that they need to perform well to earn another start? In the past, they've known that should they have only a decent game, they'll get another chance soon enough, but that's not the case at the moment...

Whatever it is, I think it reflects what Rafa has been looking for, yet so desperately lacking from his squad all along. United's fringe players come in and do well, and compensate for the lack of stars. In the past ours haven't. If we can sort this out, we're in business because our stars will be fresh enough (like they are now) and our fringe players will be hungry.

That's because we've played some decent stuff and won matches. Perhaps if things settle down, the players may be ready and used to it for next season. We've only lost 4 times this season and not been beaten by Arsenal or Chelsea. Our mental block against United is a problem but we've on a great run since feb.

Seems over the last few weeks, when we've rested top players away at Arsenal and away at Fulham that we've rested players and still smiled about fantastic performances from the players who have come in.

This is possibly the first time in Rafa's reign that this has happened consecutively, to such a high level, and it has to be a good sign that fringe players are finally doing the business for us when called upon.

Is it perhaps because we seem to have a much more settled first choice side at the moment and the players who are coming in, like Crouch, Yossi and Pennant, finally know that they need to perform well to earn another start? In the past, they've known that should they have only a decent game, they'll get another chance soon enough, but that's not the case at the moment...

Whatever it is, I think it reflects what Rafa has been looking for, yet so desperately lacking from his squad all along. United's fringe players come in and do well, and compensate for the lack of stars. In the past ours haven't. If we can sort this out, we're in business because our stars will be fresh enough (like they are now) and our fringe players will be hungry.

Agreed. I made this point both after the Arsenal league game and during the match yesterday. Two games at the business end of the season are hardly conclusive, but if we can regularly get the squad players giving it their all then we can challenge for the league (assuming we strengthen again in the summer). I also agree that Rafa's more consistent selections over the last couple of months are a factor. As you say, players now feel they have to earn their place rather than just expect it to come round again in a week or so. The selection of Crouch for the second leg of the quarter final was also pertinent in that regard, coming off the back of his great display in the league match.

Rafa's more consistent selections over the last couple of months are a factor. As you say, players now feel they have to earn their place rather than just expect it to come round again in a week or so.

Exactly. The squad was good enough to make a challenge but making several changes every week and changing tactics from game to game cost us a lot of points.

The team can be improved in the summer, but even if it is the consistency of selection and tactics needs to continue. With 3 substitutions possible per game there is no need to be making several changes to the team on a weekly basis, it just leads to confusion amongst the players.

And yet the stats show that the mancs rotate more than us don't they?

They also show that they are 12 points ahead of us, which makes Rafa's rotation look even more ridiculous. He's doing it knowing that it's costing him points and losing ground, the Mancs are doing it from the top of the league. Can't you see the difference?

They also show that they are 12 points ahead of us, which makes Rafa's rotation look even more ridiculous. He's doing it knowing that it's costing him points and losing ground, the Mancs are doing it from the top of the league. Can't you see the difference?

Rafa hasn't really been rotating for a few months now and it's shown in the results. The 2nd teams yesterday and against Arsenal came in under no pressure so played well...

Next season we can't afford to make wholesale changes in the league like that or we would risk losing points. It's only cos we only have 4th to play for that we could do it.

I can see that both squads rotate. I can see that Man United are 12 points ahead.

Fulham were the shitiest football team Ive ever seen, they make Derby look good.

Im not Lawrie Sanchez fan but the difference between the fulham team that nearly got a point at anfield and this one is vast. This Fulham team has every chance of getting relegated from the Coca Cola

Personally I thought our performance was ok but we gave the ball away a hell of a lot and Benayoun and Voronin were woeful beyond belief

I think the squad is just generally stronger than last year. Did anyone see the graphic on MOTD last night, where they compared the team from last season against Fulham, to this years selection? It was much stronger this year and that's indicative of the increase in quality we have this year.

It makes it all the more frustrating that we dropped so many silly points earlier in the season.

Playing a settled team in a settled shape is definitely the way forward, either way. I hope we start next year the way we've approached the last 15 games or so. We have a tendency to change the team a lot earlier in the season before settling on a team and shape around January/February. I hope we don't make the same mistake next year.

I think the squad is just generally stronger than last year. Did anyone see the graphic on MOTD last night, where they compared the team from last season against Fulham, to this years selection? It was much stronger this year and that's indicative of the increase in quality we have this year.

It makes it all the more frustrating that we dropped so many silly points earlier in the season.

Playing a settled team in a settled shape is definitely the way forward, either way. I hope we start next year the way we've approached the last 15 games or so. We have a tendency to change the team a lot earlier in the season before settling on a team and shape around January/February. I hope we don't make the same mistake next year.

:wallbutt::whistle:

We are playing better now cos we rotated at the start of the season, why can't you see that? ;)

I can see that both squads rotate. I can see that Man United are 12 points ahead.

Yep. Turns out that if you have a better squad, built up over a number of years, then you tend to win more games. Shocking stuff. Utd rotate more than us - they are ahead of us - rotation in itself is not the issue.

Yep. Turns out that if you have a better squad, built up over a number of years, then you tend to win more games. Shocking stuff. Utd rotate more than us - they are ahead of us - rotation in itself is not the issue.

Come on, Stu - most people have consistently acknowledged the need for rotation in the modern game. The issue was always about the level and appropriateness of it in the context of our squad. There's definitely been a problem with too many of the "squad" players not performing when they come in. I mean, everyone slags the likes of Brown and Fletcher for The Mancs, but they generally still play at the top of their game and don't let anyone down. You're right about the quality The Mancs have, but then I've been saying "no more squad players" for so long even I'm bored of it now.

Come on, Stu - most people have consistently acknowledged the need for rotation in the modern game. The issue was always about the leve and appropriatness of it in the context of our squad. There's definitely been a problem with too many of the "squad" players not performing when they come in. I mean, everyone slags the likes of Brown and Fletcher for The Mancs, but they generally still play at the top of their game and don't let anyone down. You're right about the quality The Mancs have, but then I've been saying "no more squad players" for so long even I'm bored of it now.

It's almost become accepted that if you use the word rotation, that you mean 'x number of changes' from game to game. For me, the issue with us this season isn't the fact that we have made changes at times, it's the specifics of it all, and the timing.

An example of that being Torres' situation early in the season - rested for two Premiership games but selected for the Carling Cup.

It's almost become accepted that if you use the word rotation, that you mean 'x number of changes' from game to game. For me, the issue with us this season isn't the fact that we have made changes at times, it's the specifics of it all, and the timing.

An example of that being Torres' situation early in the season - rested for two Premiership games but selected for the Carling Cup.

What's the difference in resting Torres for Birmingham at home Ian, and Fulham away?

The big problem with those games and what has been proved this season is that Torres and Gerrard were undroppable or unrotatable by all means get the game won and take them off to rest them after 70 minutes.

We were flying at the time and Rafa tried to be too clever and it backfired big time.

However the reason were not in the title race has much more to do than the owners deraling our season between Novemember and January and Rafa´s done briliiantly to get it back on track

What's the difference in resting Torres for Birmingham at home Ian, and Fulham away?

Fulham away was a game that didn't matter. We could afford to drop 8 points and still qualify for the Champions League.

Birmingham at home and Portsmouth away were games that at the time were important games to win. We didn't win them and that was the start of the loss of form which saw us out of the title race by Christmas.

for those saying 'if only he didnt rotate so early on in the season', most successful managers realise that the season doesn't start until the LAST 10 games

read this article for example to see how Sir Alex approaches it told by his former assistant:

Rotation is key to keeping players fit for run in - Football News - Telegraph

the idea is to keep in touch with whoever the pace setters are (this season it was Arsenal) and to peak much later on, our problem was all those draws in MID season, i.e January and truly losing touch not because of rotation

for those saying 'if only he didnt rotate so early on in the season', most successful managers realise that the season doesn't start until the LAST 10 games

Most fans realise that we are normally well out of it before the last 10 games and we know the reason.

Fulham were the shitiest football team Ive ever seen, they make Derby look good.

Im not Lawrie Sanchez fan but the difference between the fulham team that nearly got a point at anfield and this one is vast. This Fulham team has every chance of getting relegated from the Coca Cola

Personally I thought our performance was ok but we gave the ball away a hell of a lot and Benayoun and Voronin were woeful beyond belief

No. Benayoun didn't do too much from where I was sitting, fair enough. Voronin, however, was pretty good. Does everyone expect Bremen-style performances from a free transfer every time?