You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Canadiana Nostalgia

Nunavut Patrick

For you Canadians, my son who is 17 is going to Calgary in July to stay with a friends family, any idea what there is to do there? Also how expensive is life there, what sort of money will he need to get through 18 days given that transport and housing, much food, etc will be down to his mates family? Any help appreciated

For you Canadians, my son who is 17 is going to Calgary in July to stay with a friends family, any idea what there is to do there? Also how expensive is life there, what sort of money will he need to get through 18 days given that transport and housing, much food, etc will be down to his mates family? Any help appreciated

he'll have fun, no doubt.

the obvious things to do outside of the city are go hiking in the rocky mountains (maybe go to banff/jasper if you want the tourist experience). there are lots of other national parks in the province, like waterton, which is less crowded and lots of fun.

personally i'd go the other direction (east) as well towards drumheller (the badlands) and visit the royal tyrell museum and the dinosaurs....unless, of course he doesn't care for that. the scenery is still stunning though.

cost of living doesn't sound like a concern, since most things are paid for.

make sure he buys the host family a nice gift !

Many thanks neko, I think the host family have a few bob I'll save the money for myself:drool:

no, no, no - don't fall into that habit.

we have lots of english relatives who enjoy coming out to BC almost every single year......for years and years and years (can you sense the frustration ?)

our family is not poor, and they are not poor either, but there seems to be a real problem for them to reach into their wallets for anything while they are on vacation. i know where this comes from - when i visit england, they treat me very well too.

so when they visit us, they expect the same carte blanc treatment. problem is that they come in hordess and my parents have never gone back to england.....it just doesn't balance out.

in canada it is customary to show your appreciation for the hospitality with a gift. it doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to say 'thanks - i appreciate all that you have done for us/me'. buy them a dinner or something.

hope my relatives are reading !!! yes jenny, yes gloria and gordon - i mean you....... you cheap bastards.

Hey diaspora, I've been in Calgary since 1982, so I'm starting to get to know my way around a bit!

Well, the stampede runs during the first part of July - the city is quite a zoo then, but a trip to the Stampede and the grandstand show is quite popular with visitors!

The Calgary Stampede - Home

As Neko said, Drumheller and the Royal Tyrell dinosaur museum is very good.

Royal Tyrrell Museum - A Place of Discoveries Come and see the world's most extensive collection of dinosaur fossils and exhibits on prehistoriclife at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta, Canada.

Jasper is a bit far from here, so Banff or even Canmore is a good place to start and see the mountains.

Banff, Alberta, Canada - Official Website of the Town of Banff, Alberta

Actually, past Banff and closer to Jasper are the unbelievable Columbia Icefields

Columbia Icefield - Brewster Snocoach tours and Sightseeing trips in the Canadian Rockies

Back in town, a trip up the Calgary Tower - meal a bit expensive but glass floor is amazing!

:: calgarytower.com ::

More specifically, what is the lad into? Maybe I can come up with something on those lines.

alan

is that brew pub still at the bottom of the tower ?

used to spend a lot of drunken evenings on the patio there.

not recommended (or allowed) for the under 18 crowd.

i always liked the zoo there and the bike trails that went along the river.....ahhh, the simple life.

I'll be in Grande Prairie in May!

Woo-Hoo!

you're easy to please, eh ?

i always said growing up on the prairies was a good thing, because it kept your expectations of life low.....anything was worth getting excited about.

• 13 years later...
1 hour ago, Stouffer said:

I'm alright but you've got the Mrs. Down to a T.

Go Samsquanch.

I got my ex in a sharpshooter once. A previous ex I could only manage a Boston Crab. Her thighs were.... well she was a wren (Navy) I think I managed a figure four leg lock on one at some point. Anyway I think my new missus likes me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1