You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Canadiana Nostalgia

Nunavut Patrick

You fucking bastards.

Daytripper- Calgary does count; although we say Alberta is just Texas with snow.

no true canadian likes crater-face bryan adams or celine dion either....they are for export only.

bryan adams could (and used to) walk into any bar in vancouver and be completely ignored...saw him loads of times in his 'prime'.

For all five of us:

1520814.jpg

labatt's blue stubby bottles....sigh.

i heard that labatt's is dropping the brand all together.

we used to have a brewery right here in new west until just a couple years ago when they tore it down and sold it off for condos.

on the prairies growing up, it was always blue, pil or extra old stock.

in alphabetical order.....

1.) pamela anderson

2.) dan aykroyd

3.) donovan bailey (fastest man alive....for awhile anyways)

4.) billy bishop (used to be VP of a royal canadian legion with his name)

5.) john candy

6.) jim carey (not everyones taste)

7.) stomping tom connors

8.) general romeo dallaire (great book)

9.) michael j fox

10.) bret hart (only liked wrestling in the 70's though)

11.) gordie howe

12.) mario lemieux

13.) farley mowat

14.) mike myers

15.) bobby orr....number 4 !

16.) shania twain...almost makes me like country music

17.) mike weir

18.) neil young

forgot wayne gretzky and cam neely.....that makes 20.

labatt's blue stubby bottles....sigh.

i heard that labatt's is dropping the brand all together.

we used to have a brewery right here in new west until just a couple years ago when they tore it down and sold it off for condos.

on the prairies growing up, it was always blue, pil or extra old stock.

That brings back memories. My beer drinking started with stubbies. They are like the beer teat that brought me into manhood.

WLZ2Xv.jpeg

good one.

i actually own an RCMP red dress uniform. i grew up in the home of the RCMP (regina, saskatchewan) and always worshiped them in my younger days - until i was busted in high school for "having the approx. street value of $5 worth of marijuana" (judges words). a retired mountie friend of the family gave it to me one christmas when i was aboot six.

we were visiting their house, and i must have been staring at him all night and asking him a million questions about being a mountie. he took me downstairs after dinner (it was okay in those days) and fumbled through his closet and pulled out this box and gave it to me, without revealing the contents....the look on my face must have been priceless.

i wore that uniform for halloween every year (in fact, i wore it at any excuse) from the age of eight through to 35....and did it pull in the girls - even at eight !

i never got the leather boots, but i lost the pants in university (great night) and the hat was lost in a flood. still have the jacket.... and some very good memories.

Ah..stubbies. Pure gold they were. Back then Labatt's advertising campaign was the smile and the Labatt balloon. My Dad was a big Blue drinker and I used to collect all the different caps. We didn't drink Molson because they owned the Montreal Canadiens and we hated them.

Neko- Farley Mowat. Up here he's known as Hardly Know-It. I've met many of the relatives and descendants of his book The People of the Deer. Apparently it went down a little different than he described; on the whole, though, Farley has done far more good than bad with his tales. He did open the eyes of the World to the starvation problems facing the Ennadia Lake Inuit (in fact, the clerk interperter at the Health Centre here was born at Ennadai and relocated to Yathyked Lake in the Henrik Lake area, which is infamous for the disappearance/murder of a well-loved Catholic missionary) but many elders will tell you that the blame he thrust upon the white man and government officials did more harm than good.

Newport- how could you? Joe Sakic...good Saskatchewan boy, used to play for the Quebec Nordiques,...never would have won that trophy if they had stayed put because Montreal would never have traded Paddy Roy to the Nords.

Now Lanny Macdonald, there's an icon. Cried the day Ballard shipped him here:

wj-col.jpg

And perhaps the greatest iconic Canadiana ever:

bobanddoug.jpg