You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Quarantine - 6/10

Bit shit really.

Isnt that the remake of Rec.? Silly idea to watch it then.

The lives of others. 8.5

The orphanage 8

Bit harsh on the scores there. 2 fucking gems.

I've loved you so long - 9/10

Amen.

For me its

Il Divo - 6/10 cos most of it flew over my head in an 80's Italian politics kinda way. Looked fucking good though.

Into the Wild - 7/10 I liked it but I'm not a huge fan of road movies. Fucking tragic though.

Hunger - 8/10

Story of bobby Sands' hunger strike. Very powerful and emotive, and i was pleased that it didnt dwell on wrongs and rights and who was to blame, just told a story - and from what i know and have read, told it accurately. Only got 8 because there were a couple of unneccesary arty bits which added nothing and i would have liked to have seen more about the election to parliament and maybe some actual news footage.

A couple of sleepers I re-watched during the week. Both understated indies that may have slipped under the radar:

Lonesome Jim

After enjoying his performances in both 'Gone, Baby, Gone' and 'The Assassinaton of Jessie James' I checked this out for Casey Afflecks performance. Excellent, funny and quirky, don't know why this hasn't got more praise. Its deffo one of my top 3 films about failed dog-walkers. Directed with no nonsense by Steve Buschemi.

Shotgun Stories

Another finely nuanced gem. It concerns a family feud that develops after the funeral of the Father of two sets of brothers (by different wives) spirals out of control. No fireworks or big bangs, but excellent performances all around add to the sense of brooding intensity. I'll be keeping my eye out for further work by the spooky Michael Shannon in. He was also very good in 'Bug'.

RoboCop - 9/10. Even more relevant as a social message than it was 20 years ago. Brilliant film.

Watched it again last night and was thinking exactly the same thing, private enterprise taking over public services - to the detriment of everyone except the shareholders.

There were a few plot points I missed first time around too (Haven't seen it since I was a kid) such as the fact OCP transfered Murphy to that precinct in the hope he'd get shot up.

Apocalypto - 7/10, predictable plot but beautifully shot, you actually feel like you're there. Amazing stuff if you're into films about past cultures.

Totally agree with the feel like you are there line, however.....In one scene, a bird, a Cattle Egret, is in the scene, but it's an exotic species that wasn't present in the Americas until the 19th century, for that reason.....