You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The narrative around Arsenal on here is largely bizarre IMO.

They are a very good side.

They have bought very well over last year or two after years of buying really badly.

They have a strong squad full of good players and it has a very good age profile. They remind me a lot of us around 2018 - a team just coming into its peak and with very good things potentially ahead of them over coming years.

This isn't the bollocksless, spineless Arsenal of recent years.

• Upvote 4

Arsenal are a very good team. Rightly or wrongly, they are title winning quality and even though they have spent big, Arteta has done a good job.

I personally think City remain the team to beat for obvious reasons though. They also pipped us twice (i know i know) in tight races. Equally, I have a feeling they would view us as the bigger threat than Arsenal because they know we can last the course, whereas Arsenal have no such history. I agree they are like us around 2018. Hopefully, them and City end up going far in Europe and batter each other in a dirty two legged encounter.

Arsenal have lost 8 games already this season, us and City have lost 4 each.

Arsenal easily have the worst run in, Id be very surprised if we dont finish at least 7-8 points above them at the end. 

IMG_0155.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Hnnng....must defend Ingerlund lionheart sir harold of kaneshire...hnnng...

I bet we wouldn't see the same if this say for example was Salah - it would be all 'despite the personal achievements, fact is trophies are football's currency and Salah is bankrupt' blah blah blah.

Even with some of it being true it is just the tone of it that is so little ingerlunder defending little ingerlunder and irritating.

From the torygraph - no shock i suppose.

Fuck, Kane......

Harry Kane left Spurs to win a trophy – but has been badly let down by Bayern Munich

England captain is being mocked for the plight of his new club whose 11-year Bundesliga monopoly is about to end – but it is not his fault

Rival fans were at it again at the weekend. Social media was alive with images of the Kicker-Torjägerkanone, the trophy which is awarded for being the top-scorer in the Bundesliga.

How funny, they said, as if it was the first time it had been noticed, that the prize for scoring the most goals in the German league this season is a trophy in the shape of a cannon.

Given that is the symbol for Arsenal it has certainly caused amusement that it may be the only trophy that the former Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane wins in his first campaign at Bayern Munich.

Certainly, if Bayern fail to overturn the 1-0 deficit against Lazio in the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie in Bavaria on Tuesday evening it is even more likely.

Bayern are out of the German Cup, they lost the Super Cup – Kane’s first game – and, even more surprisingly, they trail Xabi Alonso’s Bayer Leverkusen by 10 points in the Bundesliga. Even if Leverkusen have had a freakishly amazing season – they are actually yet to lose – it is an indictment of Bayern that having won the league 11 years in a row they are on course to surrender the title in Kane’s first campaign. Of late, their form has collapsed.

There are those delighting in Kane’s predicament. How amusing, showing just how sad they are, that the England captain finally left Tottenham to win something, joining the club that is always guaranteed to win something – only for them to fail to win something.

Without understanding what Kane has done to deserve such spite and to depict him as a figure of fun and he is emphatically not that in Germany where they are in awe of his impact – it is also a complete misreading of the season he is having.

This is, undisputedly the most extraordinary debut campaign ever by an English player in a European league. No one has ever had Kane’s impact. Jude Bellingham is doing even better at Real Madrid, but that is on the back of three successful years with Borussia Dortmund. This is the first time Kane has played overseas and, as an aside, how thrilling is it for England to have those two as the outstanding players in Germany and Spain with Pep Guardiola hailing Phil Foden as the best player in the Premier League.

The fact is Bayern have failed Kane. Not the other way round. The 30-year-old has not failed them. Where would they be without him? With 27 league goals (in just 24 games) he has scored more than Kylian Mbappé or Robert Lewandowski or Erling Haaland or Mohamed Salah (admittedly the last two have been injured for lengths of this campaign).

No one in Europe has more league goals with Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martínez (24) the closest.

For club and country, in all competitions, Kane has 35 goals in 37 games. To put that in perspective that is 0.95 goals per game.

Haaland’s return? He has 31 goals in 35 games (0.89) And Mbappé? He has 32 in 34 (0.94). That is the company Kane keeps

There has even been talk of beating Lewandowski’s Bundesliga record of 41 league goals, although that now seems less likely.

Even so Kane’s share – 42 per cent – is marginally higher than Lewandowski’s (41 per cent) and Gerd Müller’s (40 per cent) who are regarded as the best centre-forwards Bayern have ever had.

The newspaper Der Spiegel has declared Kane the “most complete”. The tabloid Bild has referred to him as “King Kane” while Bayern’s new chief executive Max Eberl stated the €100 million (£85.6 million) forward has “proven his worth”.

And yet there are those who still want to ridicule Kane. Who want to portray him as some kind of cursed player who jinxes the teams he plays for. It is a cliche to claim it is the British disease to suffer from tall poppy syndrome – the urge to criticise successful people – but it is undeniable with Kane.

His biggest mistake? There have been two. Tying himself into a six-year deal at Spurs in 2018 was undoubtedly a misjudgement as it became a golden shackle making it harder for him to leave. Then the question must be asked whether he did enough homework before joining Bayern given the turmoil at a club which has gone through a series of big-name coaches since Guardiola left – and executives also – while suffering from the double whammy of player-power at the same time as the on-field powers of some of those players declining.

The fact that Alphonso Davies apparently wants out, and is expected to join Real Madrid, is another warning sign as was Bayern’s title win last season, earned with their lowest ever total and highly fortuitous with Bellingham’s Dortmund – although he was injured – blowing it on the final day.

But no one can blame Kane for joining Bayern. Given his status, his options were limited especially as Spurs chairman Daniel Levy made it clear he would make it difficult for him to move to a rival Premier League club. Bayern were probably the only viable destination and no one thought leaving Spurs was a mistake.

Remarkably whoever succeeds Thomas Tuchel – and he could go even earlier than the end of the season should Bayern go out to Lazio – will be Kane’s eighth manager since the beginning of 2021.

Impressively, his form and goal-scoring ability has not suffered despite this upheaval while his all-round game has continued to improve. Arguably, he has not played for a successful, settled side since Mauricio Pochettino’s Spurs reached the Champions League final in 2019. Even then he was not fully fit, coming back from injury and was unable to perform to his best.

It is another sign that Kane has undoubtedly been unlucky. Maybe his career-long trophy drought is going to continue for another frustrating season beyond yet another personal goal-scoring award. But no one can point the finger of blame at him. The truth is every team in the world would want him.

On 02/03/2024 at 23:23, Harry Squatter said:

No, they won the Intercontinental Cup in 1999 in Japan beating Palmerias but then opted to go to a new tournament in January 2000 in Brazil which is what the World Club Cup is now with champions of each continent. 

It got binned off after that one tournament and they went back to the old format of Europe V South America until Porto were the last to win it in 2004. We played in the revamped tournament in 2005 when we played a team from Costa Rica in the semi final then lost to Sao Paolo in the final. 

The old Intercontinental cup had been going since the 1960s but a lot of European teams refused to enter due to the violence and bad security, especially playing against teams from Argentina.

Ah OK , seem to remember a horrific game involving Celtic and an Argentinian team.

34 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Odegaard is a world class photographer.

Let’s see how they do against Man City. 

A draw would probably be the best result for us from that game I guess. But it’s all moot if we don’t beat City really.

Actually looking at the table again now, a point in the City game wouldn’t be the worst result for us. It would keep City behind us at least. It would mean Arsenal go top by one, but I very much doubt they’ll beat City at the Emirates, so it would still be in our hands. 

9 hours ago, an tha said:

They have bought very well over last year or two after years of buying really badly.

They have a strong squad full of good players and it has a very good age profile. They remind me a lot of us around 2018 - a team just coming into its peak and with very good things potentially ahead of them over coming years.

There's no denying they're very good and they'll be near the top in the coming years. In games where they aren't cruising to victory they get desperate though and their crowd panics.

I felt it was on the verge of happening in our league game there until we gifted them a goal. Last season's run in from them was horrific and their run of 1 win in 7 in all competitions before Christmas showed that they still have it in them to let the pressure affect them.

They only started to play well again when they drifted from the top and the pressure eased. If they lose to City they definitely have it in them to blow up again.

9 hours ago, an tha said:

We'll see.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

A draw would probably be the best result for us from that game I guess. But it’s all moot if we don’t beat City really.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Actually looking at the table again now, a point in the City game wouldn’t be the worst result for us. It would keep City behind us at least. It would mean Arsenal go top by one, but I very much doubt they’ll beat City at the Emirates, so it would still be in our hands. 

I think us drawing with City would be a good result. A win would be phenomenal and a significant mental boost.

Yeah, I reckon a draw between City/Arsenal might be the best outcome in that. 

11 hours ago, No2 said:

History has proved time and time again that you can't win the league with a bad goalkeeper. Arsenal have a bad goalkeeper. They also have bad fans, when they're nil nil after 55 minutes at home they will spread anxiety to the pitch. They're a good team but they won't win the league.

I said at the start of the season I wouldn’t mind finishing 1 place above Arse and I’ll stick with that . 

22 hours ago, No2 said:

History has proved time and time again that you can't win the league with a bad goalkeeper. Arsenal have a bad goalkeeper. They also have bad fans, when they're nil nil after 55 minutes at home they will spread anxiety to the pitch. They're a good team but they won't win the league.

Why's David Raya bad? He's not great, but I wouldn't say he's bad.

Bellingham banned for two league games for his sending off, but this will be the real pain for him and his club;

Bellingham, who was making his return after three weeks out with an ankle injury, was fined 600 euros (£513) and Real 700 euros (£598).

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Bellingham banned for two league games for his sending off, but this will be the real pain for him and his club;

Bellingham, who was making his return after three weeks out with an ankle injury, was fined 600 euros (£513) and Real 700 euros (£598).

I fear for them, I really do.

If Leipzig could finish they'd be 5-1 up in this over both legs. 

City will walk this again. So many bang avg sides in Europe at the moment. 

3rd sitter tonight for Leipzig

City 2 up after 15 minutes in the champions league at home, all you can hear is the Copenhagen fans. I can’t wait for this City bubble to burst the cheating pointless twats 

• Upvote 2