You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 2 Everton 0 - Match Reaction

tlw content

Nice to be listening to a positive pod for a change.  A few things I thought when watching the game and then listening to the podcast (it’s nice to be able to comment to the people on the podcast - it’s appreciated):

The change in Gakpo after the goal was very noticeable.  He seemed to grow a few feet and was that but quicker and more positive. Confidence is an amazing thing. For example, I don’t think he did anything wrong with that headed chance from the Darwin overhead kick. He got his head on it but just needed to be an inch nearer to get more head in the ball and it’s a goal.  I couldn’t help thinking that had he got that chance after his goal, he’d have scored.  I agreed with Paul that the overreaction to Gakpo’s first few months has been way over the top; but sadly typical. 

I was interested in what you said about Dyche not having watched us and setting up for the “old” Liverpool. I don’t think I agree. Dyche will have of course spent all his time watching Everton videos to learn all about his new players, and I think with the teams he’s coming up against he’ll just be watching the last few matches, and what he’ll have seen with us is a poor defence, but also a team creating lots of chances but just not taking them. So I think in his mind a 0-0 would have been a great result and he just wanted to cut out all those chances we had been creating. Thus the style he went with. 

The really good week of training Mo spoke about must have been boosted by seeing VVD, Jota and Firmino returning. I think the fillip of having those back and available must have been a big positive and a real confidence boost for all. 

Pauls spot on defence of Henderson was lovely to hear and I fully agree.  He mentioned that you wouldn’t see on tv the way Henderson dropped into right back when Trent went forward, but in the first half the camera angle showed exactly that and I thought the exact same thing when Henderson dropped in. Great to see, and going by Paul’s comments he was doing it all game.  Dave’s horrendous attack on Henderson’s after Paul’s defence was terrible though. 

Trent struggled with the weight on the balls in the first half, but there’s a video of Gapko’s goal from all angles and the pitch was spitting up a lot of water in some of the angles so it must have been difficult to judge the weight of a pass at times.  But I thought Trent’s defending one on one was excellent. 

Horrendous attack on Henderson aside, I agree with the Dave on Gomez.  I know he’s “only” 25 but he’s played close 200 games now. He’s not some kid. He’s brilliant when on top form, but mistakes are much more regular than top form.  I’d definitely keep him, but he’s not a kid anymore and he’ll never be more than 4th choice I don’t think. 

Really hope this is finally the turning point. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't agree with Paul's parallel between Gomez and Van Dijk. The latter was a total late bloomer to the extent it's almost unheard of. Gomez is the opposite. He's been here since he was 17, got good in his early 20's, then pretty bad after a bunch of injuries. I think we believe in him, he has a long contract we just gave him, but it will be an upset if he gets back to a high level. He very likely is who he is at this point. As 4th choice, he will probably be adequate but more than that is pushing it.

On 14/02/2023 at 11:28, Paul said:

Can anyone remember all the piss-taking chants about the Blues last night? Dan reminded me of, “You’re gonna boo in a minute” but there were loads. 

You haven't won a trophy since 1995.

Whi whoo for Tom Davies.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, No2 said:

Mondays ref is doing this Villa game. His heat map is like a 5 aside pitch planted in the centre circle. He doesn't go beyond a gentle jog.

Probably one of the best refs we’ve had all season. He was making fairer decisions from thirty yards than most refs have been doing from ten yards. I had hardly any complaints apart from his blind spot about yellow cards. 

• Upvote 1