You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Just now, No2 said:

We also hit the reset button multiple times in the previous 7 months without any success. Whether Fab, Hendo or Thiago are done or not it's not up for discussion that they're trajectory is downwards from here. Accepting that as the truth, then surely its better to rip the plaster off rather than 2 midfield rebuilds in successive summers? Handing the keys to midfield to McCallister and Trent and telling them it's their team now sounds like a good idea to me.

100% agree, especially as we can use the Europa league to test out new teams this season. 

52 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's more the finer details than the broader replacements.

Pressing triggers with what would then be an entirely new midfield, you'll see breakdowns that look ridiculous at full speed that people will jump on and criticise players on the back of etc.

Lots of additional work in pre-season if it happens.

Stuff like that comes reasonably quickly - especially to good players coached by good coaches.

I would not worry much about that.

Who do people like as a potential Fabinho replacement, Caicedo is presumably high up on peoples lists but beyond that?

Are we going to be looking at the likes of Edson Alvarez and Mats Wieffer, Bennacer is out injured at Milan so he's out, do they have to be a pure 6 or able to play in a few midfield positions or even in defence?

Sell Fabinho and Henderson and sign Lavia and Pavard/a second new centre back. Mover Trent in to midfield when needed. Back four can alternate between Trent, Konate, VVD, Colwill/new left sided defender and Robbo,VVD,Konate,Pavard/new guy. Play Thiago a bit deeper when needed too. A lot is made of losing leaders and influencers in the squad but before Klopp they were a bunch of meek son in laws. The younger players can step up with Daddy Klopp behind them, it’s what he’s best at.

7 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Was an issue for robbo and fab, took them 6 months to gear up for the first team.  How can you be so sure Szoboszlai and McAllister are going to rock up and fit in immediately esp. if the experienced pros are all gone.  3 midfielders all trying to get up to speed at the same time is going to be tricky.

Both come from high pressing teams already and are particularly noted for their tactical intelligence. 

Andy Robertson came from relegated hull via Dundee United, and Fabinho had only played a couple of seasons in midfield after beginning as a right back and had played exclusively in a double pivot 4-2-3-1, and has said himself this change was drastic took him a while to adapt 

3 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Was an issue for robbo and fab, took them 6 months to gear up for the first team.  How can you be so sure Szoboszlai and McAllister are going to rock up and fit in immediately esp. if the experienced pros are all gone.  3 midfielders all trying to get up to speed at the same time is going to be tricky.

I can see Szoboszlai being eased in to it whereas I'd expect Mac Alister to start straight away.

Assuming we sign Lavia I can see our opening day line up being something like

AB

TAA VVD IK AR

AM RL CJ/TA

MS CG LD

So essentially only two changes to last years side. 

28 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We'll struggle to play coherently in midfield from next month without Milner, Henderson and Fabinho. I don't see how anyone could say differently. New players take time to settle in and even then I don't see a natural 6.  It's an inconvenient truth for some that our midfield did pretty well from the comeback against Arsenal until the end of the season. 

Did it?.....OK it was a bit better but certainly it still had plentt of problems and bad days

Forest scoring at will against us at Anfield.

Southampton bagging 4.

Villa bossing midfield against us at Anfield.

A capitulation against Tottenham from 3 up - rescued at death yes...

In all those examples whilst not entirely at fault, a lot of the problems were very much down to the well documented defficiencies of our midfield.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Who do people like as a potential Fabinho replacement, Caicedo is presumably high up on peoples lists but beyond that?

Are we going to be looking at the likes of Edson Alvarez and Mats Wieffer, Bennacer is out injured at Milan so he's out, do they have to be a pure 6 or able to play in a few midfield positions or even in defence?

Amrabat.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm not talking seasons, I'm talking 3 to 6 months.

I don't think it will take that long at all.

And you know what however long it takes i'd wager heavily they'll still do a better job as a unit overall than one with Henderson and Fabinho together in.

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

As big an issue for me is us playing with a completely new midfield which will require trial and error tinkering during a live season. Fabinho and even permacrock Thiago are now critically important for us in terms of having some semblance of continuity.  

Sorry, but I think picking Thiago as your "semblence of continuity" sinks your battleship before it leaves port, mate. He's never been in the side long enough to have instilled continuity, and it could even be argued that the midfield has lacked continuity because of his brittle health and unreliability.

4 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

He didn't say they're any good, he said they're an upgrade. At the right price, they are.

Complete poppycock.

Henderson and Fabinho are proven at the top level, have won everything, and only one year ago were members of a team that was close to a quadruple.

Fabinho especially is 29 years old and would have been top 3 defensive midfielder in the world for 5 years in a row.

Lavia is an 18 year old who has half a season in a relegated team, and the other fella was in the bottom half of the bundesliga. And that’s the peak of their careers. Neither of them is ever going to get close to Hendo or Fab levels.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

Did it?.....OK it was a bit better but certainly it still had plentt of problems and bad days

Forest scoring at will against us at Anfield.

Southampton bagging 4.

Villa bossing midfield against us at Anfield.

A capitulation against Tottenham from 3 up - rescued at death yes...

In all those examples whilst not entirely at fault, a lot of the problems were very much down to the well documented defficiencies of our midfield.

You're nitpicking there. After the draw with Arsenal, we won 7 on the trot and drew our final two. That's probably title-winning form or near enough. It was a marked improvement on previous performances. 

16 minutes ago, etho said:

Both come from high pressing teams already and are particularly noted for their tactical intelligence. 

Andy Robertson came from relegated hull via Dundee United, and Fabinho had only played a couple of seasons in midfield after beginning as a right back and had played exclusively in a double pivot 4-2-3-1, and has said himself this change was drastic took him a while to adapt 

Whole new midfield with no teething problems, good luck with that.

Just now, redrosetints said:

The DaveCock geezer in Twitter who said about Hendo last night is now saying we’re looking at Kimmach ? From Bayern ? 

any good ? 

He would be ideal.

Started out as a right back but moved in to CDM. He would be a massive upgrade on Fabinho. 

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

He would be ideal.

Started out as a right back but moved in to CDM. He would be a massive upgrade on Fabinho. 

So same path as Fab. 

I’ve just realised it was the Ivan Wankoff fella: so unlikely to be true … 

but sounds a decent player 

36 minutes ago, etho said:

Think this pressing thing is overstated. Szoboszlai and McAllister will both be fine to learn the press. Fabinhos role as the 'lighthouse' was one that was very hard to master and took time, but given we don't play that way any more I don't see it as such an issue.

I was just thinking about this. 

Although not 100% the same, both players have come from clubs that play a high pressing game, you would hope they can adjust quickly. 

A lot more clubs play that way now. Brighton, Fulham, Newcastle, Brentford, Forest etc. It shouldn’t be as such a culture shock as it was back in 2018. 

I couldn’t tell you what Southampton were like last season. I genuinely only think I watched their game at Anfield. If we were to sign Lavia, you’d hope being with City, he’d be accustomed to the Rodri / Fernandinho role. I know he didn’t play for them but I’d guess their training games are more intense than most Premiership fixtures. 

My personal preference would be go hard for Caicedo, however, I’d be surprised. 

30 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Not really true in Robbo's case, he was great in one of his first games for us (a MOTM performance at home to Palace). 

For some reason, Klopp inexplicably preferred Moreno to him, despite Robbo looking a far superior player every time he did get a start.